Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Old hardcore RLC Activist Bill Greene resurfaces!!

  • Daniel Quintiliani
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
      Eric Dondero Rittberg wrote:

      > I know that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.
      >
      > He may be Christian, but he's got Punk Rock values. And dare I say,
      > so do many other libertarian Republicans, Phil Blumel, Tom Walls,
      > myself, ect...

      Just curious, what are "punk rock values?" Does that just mean "fighting
      the Man" or whatever, and if that was the case, wouldn't all
      libertarians be like that?

      Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't really like punk
      music, I listen to mostly the 90s alternative that I grew up with, 80s
      metal which I started listening to when alternative died out (or,
      rather, like the word "liberal" in the 1940s, took on a whole new
      meaning), and modern European AOR/melodic rock.

      I'm 22 right now in case you're wondering.

      -Dan
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
        >Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't really like punk
        >music, I listen to mostly the 90s alternative that I grew up with, 80s
        >metal which I started listening to when alternative died out (or,
        >rather, like the word "liberal" in the 1940s, took on a whole new
        >meaning), and modern European AOR/melodic rock.
        >
        >I'm 22 right now in case you're wondering.

        You're too young to have known punk when it was a social movement as
        much as it was a style of music. In the 1976-1981 period punk had a
        strong nihilistic message which was relatively new, rather than
        rehashed as you find with punk revivals, and it was much more
        strongly associated with a lifestyle and anti-establishment political
        beliefs. What made it different from the sixties was that rather
        than reacting against a conservative 'establishment', punks were
        reacting against an establishment which was as much of the left as it
        was of the right. The naive dogooderism of Carter was as much of an
        enemy as the greed of the Reaganites.

        Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com
        Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarokpress.com
        Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973
      • George Blumel
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
          Greed of the Reaganites?  Like what?

          >Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't really like punk
          >music, I listen to mostly the 90s alternative that I grew up with, 80s
          >metal which I started listening to when alternative died out (or,
          >rather, like the word "liberal" in the 1940s, took on a whole new
          >meaning), and modern European AOR/melodic rock.
          >
          >I'm 22 right now in case you're wondering.

          You're too young to have known punk when it was a social movement as
          much as it was a style of music. In the 1976-1981 period punk had a
          strong nihilistic message which was relatively new, rather than
          rehashed as you find with punk revivals, and it was much more
          strongly associated with a lifestyle and anti-establishment political
          beliefs. What made it different from the sixties was that rather
          than reacting against a conservative 'establishment' , punks were
          reacting against an establishment which was as much of the left as it
          was of the right. The naive dogooderism of Carter was as much of an
          enemy as the greed of the Reaganites.

          Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraf t.com
          Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarok press.com
          Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973

        • Eric Dondero Rittberg
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 25, 2006
            Duuuude! You're serious. I've got my entire collection, which
            mirrors yours, of cassettes in two foam coolers in my garage. Most
            of them are still good.

            But doesn't matter these days.

            If you've got Sirius radio that's all you need in life.

            Sirius 31 is Pure Punk/New Wave from the '70's and '80s. And the
            good stuff!

            --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@...>
            wrote:

            > Geez Eric, don't forget me!
            >
            > I converted my entire pirated collection of Adam and the Ants, The
            Clash, Sex Pistols, The Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal
            Tendancies, Black Flag et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

            > :-)
            >
            > Ray
            >
            > Eric Dondero Rittberg <ericdondero@...>
            wrote: Aaron, trust me, you don't
            know the real Bill Greene. I do. I knew
            > Bill way, way, way back in 1987/88 when he was a hardcore mohawk
            > wearing practically hobo Punk Rocker student at UNC-Greensboro.
            >
            > I'd say he's like Vox of World Net Daily. A sort of Christian
            Punk
            > Rocker libertarian conservative.
            >
            > I know that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.
            >
            > He may be Christian, but he's got Punk Rock values. And dare I
            say,
            > so do many other libertarian Republicans, Phil Blumel, Tom Walls,
            > myself, ect...
            >
            > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, AULibertarians@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Dr. Greene has many connections with the religious right, Eric.
            > > It seems his politics have changed. See:
            > >
            > > William Greene's Right Wing Rapid Response Team
            > > http://www.mediatransparency.org/story.php?storyID=66
            > >
            > > RightMarch.com Teams With Minutemen on Mexican Border
            > > http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html
            > >

            > > Sincerely,
            > > ... Aaron
            > >
            > > Director of Chapter Development,
            > > Republican Liberty Caucus USA
            > > www.RLC.org
            > >
            > > "If you're serious about changing the world and you know
            > > that your philosophy is correct, you owe it to your philosophy
            > > to study how to win [elections]." -- Morton Blackwell

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • DJ Entropy
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 25, 2006
              You got nothin. I have 3500 records sitting right next to me.

              :)

              --
              ----------
              DJ Entropy

              "It's important to promote a culture of life." - President George W. Bush
              "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
              --William Penn
              "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John Adams
            • Eric Dondero Rittberg
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                This is insane! You too DJ???

                Is it just a coincidence that all us old punk rockers have ended up
                in the libertarian Republican movement??

                Let's see now, I'm now counting: Phil Blumel, Tom Walls, DJ, William
                Greene, Ray Holtorf, and me. Brian Doherty of Reason too, but he's
                just a libertarian who largely disdains Republicans. And there's
                Vox Day over at WorldNetDaily.com too. And John Buckley of National
                Review called himself a "Punk Rock Republican" a few years back.

                A few weeks ago, I saw an old DVD of the Dead Kennedys history.
                Jello Biafra was running for Mayor of San Francisco. And he wasn't
                attacking Conservatives, he was bashing Jerry Brown and San
                Francisco liberals for being so inept and boring.

                Somebody ought to do a story on this libertarian-punk connection.

                --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "DJ Entropy" <djentropy@...>

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                  Well, most of my records are from the rave scene, but I was a punk rocker
                  before I got into all that.

                  I saw the Rave scene as an electronic version of punk, and some of it was,
                  but it got really really lame after a while...heh

                  --
                  ----------
                  DJ Entropy
                  America's #1 Hardcore DJ/producer
                  http://www.djentropy.com
                  http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy
                  http://www.myspace.com/djentropy

                  "It's important to promote a culture of life." - President George W. Bush
                  "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
                  --William Penn
                  "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John Adams
                • Adam J. Bernay
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006

                    I guess I’m not “in”…  punk rock has never been something I liked…

                    href="http://www.mediatransparency.org/story.php?storyID=66">http://www.mediatra nsparency. org/story. php?storyID= 66

                    w:st="on"> USA

                    #1 Hardcore DJ/producer
                    > http://www.djentrop y.com
                    > http://livejournal. com/users/ djentropy
                    > http://www.myspace. com/djentropy
                    >
                    > "It's important to promote a culture of life." - President
                    George
                    W. Bush
                    > "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by
                    tyrants."
                    > --William Penn
                    > "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John
                    Adams

                  • Manwich
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                      I guess I am guilty too. I had a mohawk and listened to only punk rock
                      in High School.
                    • Adrian Augustine
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                        Since many of us seem to be flying the punk rock flag, I'll volunteer that one can find the Clash, the Ramones, Social Distortion and Jawbreaker on my iPod along with a bunch of new school punk bands and (embarrassingly enough) the occassional ska band. In college I use to be a DJ at the schools radio station and would occasionaly book bands to play at the student union.

                        Maybe some outreach to sites like these could help the RLC:

                        http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp
                        http://www.rightwingclothing.com/

                        Adrian Augustine
                        Wisconsin

                        Manwich <manwichftl@...> wrote:
                        I guess I am guilty too. I had a mohawk and listened to only punk rock
                        in High School.

                        __

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • George Blumel
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                          There is no accounting for taste.

                          face="High Tower Text" color=#000080>ericdondero@...> wrote:

                          >> This is
                          insane!  You too DJ???

                          >> Is it just a coincidence
                          that all us old punk rockers have ended up
                          >> in the libertarian
                          Republican movement??

                          wrote:

                          >>> You got nothin.  I have 3500 records
                          sitting right next to me.

                          :)

                          <ericdondero@...> wrote:

                          Duuuude!  You're serious.  I've got my entire collection, which
                          >> Most
                          good.

                          days.

                          that's all you need in life.

                          is Pure Punk/New Wave from the '70's and '80s.  And the

                          --- In
                          RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@>

                          Adam and the Ants,
                          >> The
                          Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal
                          et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

                          Ray

                          <ericdondero@>

                          wrote:                                  Aaron, trust me, you
                          >> don't
                          Greene.  I do.  I knew
                          way back in 1987/88 when he was a hardcore
                          >> mohawk
                          UNC-Greensboro.

                          he's like Vox of World Net Daily.  A sort of Christian

                          Punk
                          conservative.

                          that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.

                          Rock values.  And dare I
                          Tom
                          >> Walls,
                          ect...

                          href="http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html">http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html

                          Sincerely,
                          Chapter  Development,
                          Liberty Caucus USA
                          href="http://www.RLC.org">www.RLC.org
                          >> philosophy
                          study how to win [elections]." --  Morton Blackwell

                          You Yahoo!?

                          href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Groups Links

                          --

                          href="http://www.djentropy.com">http://www.djentropy.com
                          >>> http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy
                          >>> http://www.myspace.com/djentropy
                          >>>
                          >>> "It's
                          important to promote a culture of life." - President George
                          >> W.
                          Bush
                          >>> "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled
                          by
                          >> tyrants."
                          >>> --William Penn
                          >>> "Always
                          stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John Adams

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > --
                          > ----------
                          > DJ Entropy
                          > America's #1
                          Hardcore DJ/producer

                          face="High Tower Text" color=#000080>http://www.djentropy.com
                          > http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy
                          > http://www.myspace.com/djentropy
                          >
                          > "It's important to promote a
                          culture of life." - President George W. Bush
                          > "Those people who will not
                          be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
                          > --William
                          Penn
                          > "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John
                          Adams

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >
                          > <*> To visit your group on the web, go
                          to:

                          > <*> Your email
                          settings:
                          >    Individual Email | Traditional
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings online go to:

                          >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings via
                          email:

                          href="mailto:RLC-Action-digest@yahoogroups.com">mailto:RLC-Action-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          href="mailto:RLC-Action-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">mailto:RLC-Action-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          > <*> To unsubscribe from
                          this group, send an email to:

                          > <*> Your use of Yahoo!
                          Groups is subject to:

                        • George Blumel
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                            Isn't there a recovering punk Yahoo group?  Or,is this it?

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                              You've always been a bit of the odd man out Adam.

                              --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Adam J. Bernay" <Republican-

                              Action@yahoogroups.com] On

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                OK folks...

                                We've had a nice diversion over the holiday. It's now time to return to the
                                topic of *RLC ACTION* or take this discussion to the RLC-Discuss or
                                GOP-Liberty eGroup. Thanks.

                                Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                                RLC-Action Co-Moderator

                                <ericdondero@...> wrote:

                                > Duuuude! You're serious. I've got my entire collection, which
                                > mirrors yours, of cassettes in two foam coolers in my garage. Most of
                                > them are still good. <SNIP>

                                11:31 AM
                              • Eric Dondero Rittberg
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                  Uh, Mr. Blumel. If this was a recovering Punk Rockers group, your
                                  son would be one of the chartering members.

                                  As we all know Phil is bit busy these days making good stock picks
                                  and building the FL RLC. But I bet when you ain't lookin' and Julie
                                  is taking care of the kids, Phil's tucked away in the garage jammin'
                                  out to his old punk albums.

                                  --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "George Blumel" <gblumel@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Isn't there a recovering punk Yahoo group? Or,is this it?

                                  Greene resurfaces!!

                                  > Since many of us seem to be flying the punk rock flag, I'll
                                  volunteer that one can find the Clash, the Ramones, Social
                                  Distortion and Jawbreaker on my iPod along with a bunch of new
                                  school punk bands and (embarrassingly enough) the occassional ska
                                  band. In college I use to be a DJ at the schools radio station and
                                  would occasionaly book bands to play at the student union.

                                  > Maybe some outreach to sites like these could help the RLC:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp
                                  > http://www.rightwingclothing.com/
                                  >
                                  > Adrian Augustine
                                  > Wisconsin
                                  >
                                  > Manwich <manwichftl@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > I guess I am guilty too. I had a mohawk and listened to only
                                  punk rock
                                  > in High School.
                                  >

                                  > __

                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • Adam J. Bernay
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006

                                    Emphasis on “odd.”

                                    Country, anyone?  Soft Rock?  Anyone?

                                    Liberty @...> wrote:

                                    > I guess I'm not "in". punk rock has never been something I
                                    liked.

                                    > _____
                                    >
                                    > From: RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com
                                    > Is it just a coincidence that all us old punk rockers have ended
                                    up
                                    > in the libertarian Republican movement??
                                    >
                                    > Let's see now, I'm now counting: Phil Blumel, Tom Walls, DJ,
                                    William
                                    > Greene, Ray Holtorf, and me. Brian Doherty of Reason too, but he's
                                    > just a libertarian who largely disdains Republicans. And there's
                                    > Vox Day over at WorldNetDaily. com too. And John Buckley of
                                    National
                                    > Review called himself a "Punk Rock Republican" a few years back.
                                    >
                                    > A few weeks ago, I saw an old DVD of the Dead Kennedys history.
                                    > Jello Biafra was running for Mayor of San
                                    Francisco. And he wasn't
                                    > attacking Conservatives, he was bashing Jerry Brown and San
                                    > Francisco liberals for being so inept and boring.
                                    >
                                    > Somebody ought to do a story on this libertarian- punk connection.
                                    >
                                    > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro <mailto:RLC- Action%40yahoogr oups.com>
                                    ups.com,
                                    > "DJ Entropy" <djentropy@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > You got nothin. I have 3500 records sitting right next to me.
                                    > >
                                    > > :)
                                    > >

                                    > > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:04:23 -0500, Eric Dondero Rittberg
                                    > > <ericdondero@ > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Duuuude! You're serious. I've got my entire collection, which
                                    > > > mirrors yours, of cassettes in two foam coolers in my garage.
                                    > Most
                                    > > > of them are still good.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > But doesn't matter these days.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > If you've got Sirius radio that's all you need in life.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Sirius 31 is Pure Punk/New Wave from the '70's and '80s. And
                                    the
                                    > > > good stuff!
                                    > > >

                                    > > > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro <mailto:RLC- Action%
                                    40yahoogroups. com>
                                    > ups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@ >

                                    Ants,
                                    > The
                                    > > > Clash, Sex Pistols, The Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal
                                    > > > Tendancies, Black Flag et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

                                    > > > wrote: Aaron, trust me, you
                                    > don't
                                    > > > know the real Bill Greene. I do. I knew
                                    > mohawk
                                    Greensboro .

                                    Christian
                                    > > > Punk

                                    > > > say,
                                    > Walls,

                                    > Eric.

                                    > <http://www.mediatra nsparency. org/story. php?storyID= 66>
                                    > nsparency.org/ story.php? storyID=66

                                    > <http://www.dakotavo ice.com/200604/ 20060425_ 5.html>
                                    > ice.com/200604/ 20060425_ 5.html

                                    Caucus USA

                                    href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail. yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                                    #1 Hardcore DJ/producer
                                    href="http://www.djentropy.com">http://www.djentrop y.com> y.com
                                    href="http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy">http://livejournal. com/users/ djentropy>
                                    href="http://www.myspace.com/djentropy">http://www.myspace. com/djentropy>

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                      You're right Eric --I used to think he was the worst until I read your stuff here lately...

                                      wrote:

                                      > Isn't there a recovering punk Yahoo group? Or,is this it?

                                    • DJ Entropy
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                        On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:13:13 -0500, Adam J. Bernay
                                        <Republican-Liberty@...> wrote:

                                        > Country, anyone?

                                        Sure, some. Johnny Cash, Darryl Worley, Big & Rich

                                        > Soft Rock? Anyone?

                                        Errr...when Phil Collins comes on the radio, I sometimes don't turn it
                                        off...

                                        Who actually LIKES soft rock?

                                        "soft" "rock"? What's the point???

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 28, 2006
                                          Touche' Mr. Blumel. Touche'!

                                          wrote:

                                          > You're right Eric --I used to think he was the worst until I read
                                          your stuff here lately...

                                        • Eric Dondero Rittberg
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 28, 2006
                                            I'm New Country. Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson, Shania, Tim McGraw,
                                            Toby Keith, et.al.

                                            But most especially Country/Lounge fusion group The Mavericks.