Re: Old hardcore RLC Activist Bill Greene resurfaces!!

  • Eric Dondero Rittberg
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
      Hah! Way beyond that. Bill Greene was once a penniless hardcore
      thrasher punk rocker. We're not talking mainstream Punker, like me
      with the leather, and stuff. No, Bill was one of the hardcore that
      would scare you. When I first met him I was Ron Paul's Travel Aide
      for his Libertarian Presidential campaign in 1988. Bill had called
      wanting Dr. Paul to come speak at his campus at UNC-Greensboro. We
      agreed. I came ahead to set things up. I was stunned by Bill's
      appearance, mohawk and everything. I wondered how Ron would take
      him. But Bill put on a fantastic event for the Congressman.

      Funny story, Bill stayed in a ratty one-room studio. And I had to
      stay there that night. I remember sleeping on a cot with the middle
      pole arching up into my back. It was a horrible night. I was
      surrounded by Punk Rock paraphaneila all over the place.

      Then a few years later I run into Bill again, and he's this nice
      Christian guy with a lovely wife and new baby living in South
      Florida. He was running for State Rep. Naturally RLC supported him
      and I walked precincts for him. He lost though.

      Bill then went through a Hard-Right Social Conservative phase with
      Viguerie. Now I note, he's heading back in our libertarian
      Republican direction.

      He even briefly worked with Chuck Muth of the RLC in the late 1990s
      on a couple projects.

      He's a FANTASTIC political activist, if occasionally confused. We
      need to rope him in!!

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Quintiliani <danq@...>
      wrote:

      > AULibertarians@... wrote:
      > >

      > > Dr. Greene has many connections with the religious right, Eric.
      > > It seems his politics have changed. See:
      > >
      > > William Greene's Right Wing Rapid Response Team
      > > http://www.mediatransparency.org/story.php?storyID=66
      > >
      > > RightMarch.com Teams With Minutemen on Mexican Border
      > > http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html
      > >

      > Yeah, I subscribe to RightMarch's alerts. I use some of them. But
      most
      > of it is neocon and "close the borders" stuff. I was frankly
      shocked to
      > hear that Greene was once a libertarian and RLC member.
      >
      > -Dan

    • Ray Holtorf
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
        Geez Eric, don't forget me!

        I converted my entire pirated collection of Adam and the Ants, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal Tendancies, Black Flag et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

        :-)

        Ray

        Eric Dondero Rittberg <ericdondero@...> wrote:
        Aaron, trust me, you don't know the real Bill Greene. I do. I knew
        Bill way, way, way back in 1987/88 when he was a hardcore mohawk
        wearing practically hobo Punk Rocker student at UNC-Greensboro.

        I'd say he's like Vox of World Net Daily. A sort of Christian Punk
        Rocker libertarian conservative.

        I know that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.

        He may be Christian, but he's got Punk Rock values. And dare I say,
        so do many other libertarian Republicans, Phil Blumel, Tom Walls,
        myself, ect...

        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com, AULibertarians@ ... wrote:

        > Dr. Greene has many connections with the religious right, Eric.
        > It seems his politics have changed. See:
        >
        > William Greene's Right Wing Rapid Response Team
        > http://www.mediatra nsparency. org/story. php?storyID= 66
        >
        > RightMarch.com Teams With Minutemen on Mexican Border
        > http://www.dakotavo ice.com/200604/ 20060425_ 5.html
        >

        > Sincerely,
        > ... Aaron
        >
        > Director of Chapter Development,
        > Republican Liberty Caucus USA
        > www.RLC.org
        >
        > "If you're serious about changing the world and you know
        > that your philosophy is correct, you owe it to your philosophy
        > to study how to win [elections]. " -- Morton Blackwell

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Daniel Quintiliani
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
          Eric Dondero Rittberg wrote:

          > I know that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.
          >
          > He may be Christian, but he's got Punk Rock values. And dare I say,
          > so do many other libertarian Republicans, Phil Blumel, Tom Walls,
          > myself, ect...

          Just curious, what are "punk rock values?" Does that just mean "fighting
          the Man" or whatever, and if that was the case, wouldn't all
          libertarians be like that?

          Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't really like punk
          music, I listen to mostly the 90s alternative that I grew up with, 80s
          metal which I started listening to when alternative died out (or,
          rather, like the word "liberal" in the 1940s, took on a whole new
          meaning), and modern European AOR/melodic rock.

          I'm 22 right now in case you're wondering.

          -Dan
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
            >Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't really like punk
            >music, I listen to mostly the 90s alternative that I grew up with, 80s
            >metal which I started listening to when alternative died out (or,
            >rather, like the word "liberal" in the 1940s, took on a whole new
            >meaning), and modern European AOR/melodic rock.
            >
            >I'm 22 right now in case you're wondering.

            You're too young to have known punk when it was a social movement as
            much as it was a style of music. In the 1976-1981 period punk had a
            strong nihilistic message which was relatively new, rather than
            rehashed as you find with punk revivals, and it was much more
            strongly associated with a lifestyle and anti-establishment political
            beliefs. What made it different from the sixties was that rather
            than reacting against a conservative 'establishment', punks were
            reacting against an establishment which was as much of the left as it
            was of the right. The naive dogooderism of Carter was as much of an
            enemy as the greed of the Reaganites.

            Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com
            Ragnarok Press: http://www.ragnarokpress.com
            Customer Support: 1-800-797-8973
          • George Blumel
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
              Greed of the Reaganites?  Like what?

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 25, 2006
                Duuuude! You're serious. I've got my entire collection, which
                mirrors yours, of cassettes in two foam coolers in my garage. Most
                of them are still good.

                But doesn't matter these days.

                If you've got Sirius radio that's all you need in life.

                Sirius 31 is Pure Punk/New Wave from the '70's and '80s. And the
                good stuff!

                --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@...>
                wrote:

                > Geez Eric, don't forget me!
                >
                > I converted my entire pirated collection of Adam and the Ants, The
                Clash, Sex Pistols, The Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal
                Tendancies, Black Flag et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

                > :-)
                >
                > Ray
                >
                > Eric Dondero Rittberg <ericdondero@...>
                wrote: Aaron, trust me, you don't
                know the real Bill Greene. I do. I knew
                > Bill way, way, way back in 1987/88 when he was a hardcore mohawk
                > wearing practically hobo Punk Rocker student at UNC-Greensboro.
                >
                > I'd say he's like Vox of World Net Daily. A sort of Christian
                Punk
                > Rocker libertarian conservative.
                >
                > I know that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.
                >
                > He may be Christian, but he's got Punk Rock values. And dare I
                say,
                > so do many other libertarian Republicans, Phil Blumel, Tom Walls,
                > myself, ect...
                >
                > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, AULibertarians@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Dr. Greene has many connections with the religious right, Eric.
                > > It seems his politics have changed. See:
                > >
                > > William Greene's Right Wing Rapid Response Team
                > > http://www.mediatransparency.org/story.php?storyID=66
                > >
                > > RightMarch.com Teams With Minutemen on Mexican Border
                > > http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html
                > >

                > > Sincerely,
                > > ... Aaron
                > >
                > > Director of Chapter Development,
                > > Republican Liberty Caucus USA
                > > www.RLC.org
                > >
                > > "If you're serious about changing the world and you know
                > > that your philosophy is correct, you owe it to your philosophy
                > > to study how to win [elections]." -- Morton Blackwell

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • DJ Entropy
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 25, 2006
                  You got nothin. I have 3500 records sitting right next to me.

                  :)

                  --
                  ----------
                  DJ Entropy

                  "It's important to promote a culture of life." - President George W. Bush
                  "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
                  --William Penn
                  "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John Adams
                • Eric Dondero Rittberg
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                    This is insane! You too DJ???

                    Is it just a coincidence that all us old punk rockers have ended up
                    in the libertarian Republican movement??

                    Let's see now, I'm now counting: Phil Blumel, Tom Walls, DJ, William
                    Greene, Ray Holtorf, and me. Brian Doherty of Reason too, but he's
                    just a libertarian who largely disdains Republicans. And there's
                    Vox Day over at WorldNetDaily.com too. And John Buckley of National
                    Review called himself a "Punk Rock Republican" a few years back.

                    A few weeks ago, I saw an old DVD of the Dead Kennedys history.
                    Jello Biafra was running for Mayor of San Francisco. And he wasn't
                    attacking Conservatives, he was bashing Jerry Brown and San
                    Francisco liberals for being so inept and boring.

                    Somebody ought to do a story on this libertarian-punk connection.

                    --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "DJ Entropy" <djentropy@...>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                      Well, most of my records are from the rave scene, but I was a punk rocker
                      before I got into all that.

                      I saw the Rave scene as an electronic version of punk, and some of it was,
                      but it got really really lame after a while...heh

                      --
                      ----------
                      DJ Entropy
                      America's #1 Hardcore DJ/producer
                      http://www.djentropy.com
                      http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy
                      http://www.myspace.com/djentropy

                      "It's important to promote a culture of life." - President George W. Bush
                      "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
                      --William Penn
                      "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John Adams
                    • Adam J. Bernay
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006

                        I guess I’m not “in”…  punk rock has never been something I liked…

                        href="http://www.mediatransparency.org/story.php?storyID=66">http://www.mediatra nsparency. org/story. php?storyID= 66

                        w:st="on"> USA

                        #1 Hardcore DJ/producer
                        > http://www.djentrop y.com
                        > http://livejournal. com/users/ djentropy
                        > http://www.myspace. com/djentropy
                        >
                        > "It's important to promote a culture of life." - President
                        George
                        W. Bush
                        > "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by
                        tyrants."
                        > --William Penn
                        > "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John
                        Adams

                      • Manwich
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                          I guess I am guilty too. I had a mohawk and listened to only punk rock
                          in High School.
                        • Adrian Augustine
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                            Since many of us seem to be flying the punk rock flag, I'll volunteer that one can find the Clash, the Ramones, Social Distortion and Jawbreaker on my iPod along with a bunch of new school punk bands and (embarrassingly enough) the occassional ska band. In college I use to be a DJ at the schools radio station and would occasionaly book bands to play at the student union.

                            Maybe some outreach to sites like these could help the RLC:

                            http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp
                            http://www.rightwingclothing.com/

                            Adrian Augustine
                            Wisconsin

                            Manwich <manwichftl@...> wrote:
                            I guess I am guilty too. I had a mohawk and listened to only punk rock
                            in High School.

                            __

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • George Blumel
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                              There is no accounting for taste.

                              face="High Tower Text" color=#000080>ericdondero@...> wrote:

                              >> This is
                              insane!  You too DJ???

                              >> Is it just a coincidence
                              that all us old punk rockers have ended up
                              >> in the libertarian
                              Republican movement??

                              wrote:

                              >>> You got nothin.  I have 3500 records
                              sitting right next to me.

                              :)

                              <ericdondero@...> wrote:

                              Duuuude!  You're serious.  I've got my entire collection, which
                              >> Most
                              good.

                              is Pure Punk/New Wave from the '70's and '80s.  And the

                              --- In
                              RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@>

                              Adam and the Ants,
                              >> The
                              Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal
                              et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

                              Ray

                              <ericdondero@>

                              wrote:                                  Aaron, trust me, you
                              >> don't
                              Greene.  I do.  I knew
                              way back in 1987/88 when he was a hardcore
                              >> mohawk
                              UNC-Greensboro.

                              he's like Vox of World Net Daily.  A sort of Christian

                              Punk
                              conservative.

                              that sounds like an odd mix, but it works for some.

                              Rock values.  And dare I
                              Tom
                              >> Walls,
                              ect...

                              href="http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html">http://www.dakotavoice.com/200604/20060425_5.html

                              Sincerely,
                              Chapter  Development,
                              Liberty Caucus USA
                              href="http://www.RLC.org">www.RLC.org
                              >> philosophy
                              study how to win [elections]." --  Morton Blackwell

                              You Yahoo!?

                              href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com

                              Groups Links

                              --

                              href="http://www.djentropy.com">http://www.djentropy.com
                              >>> http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy
                              >>> http://www.myspace.com/djentropy
                              >>>
                              >>> "It's
                              important to promote a culture of life." - President George
                              >> W.
                              Bush
                              >>> "Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled
                              by
                              >> tyrants."
                              >>> --William Penn
                              >>> "Always
                              stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John Adams

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > --
                              > ----------
                              > DJ Entropy
                              > America's #1
                              Hardcore DJ/producer

                              face="High Tower Text" color=#000080>http://www.djentropy.com
                              > http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy
                              > http://www.myspace.com/djentropy
                              >
                              > "It's important to promote a
                              culture of life." - President George W. Bush
                              > "Those people who will not
                              be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants."
                              > --William
                              Penn
                              > "Always stand on principle even if you stand alone." - John
                              Adams

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >
                              > <*> To visit your group on the web, go
                              to:

                              > <*> Your email
                              settings:
                              >    Individual Email | Traditional
                              >
                              > <*> To change settings online go to:

                              >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                              >
                              > <*> To change settings via
                              email:

                              href="mailto:RLC-Action-digest@yahoogroups.com">mailto:RLC-Action-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              href="mailto:RLC-Action-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">mailto:RLC-Action-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              > <*> To unsubscribe from
                              this group, send an email to:

                              > <*> Your use of Yahoo!
                              Groups is subject to:

                            • George Blumel
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 26, 2006
                                Isn't there a recovering punk Yahoo group?  Or,is this it?

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                  You've always been a bit of the odd man out Adam.

                                  --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Adam J. Bernay" <Republican-

                                  Action@yahoogroups.com] On

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                    OK folks...

                                    We've had a nice diversion over the holiday. It's now time to return to the
                                    topic of *RLC ACTION* or take this discussion to the RLC-Discuss or
                                    GOP-Liberty eGroup. Thanks.

                                    Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                                    RLC-Action Co-Moderator

                                    <ericdondero@...> wrote:

                                    > Duuuude! You're serious. I've got my entire collection, which
                                    > mirrors yours, of cassettes in two foam coolers in my garage. Most of
                                    > them are still good. <SNIP>

                                    11:31 AM
                                  • Eric Dondero Rittberg
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                      Uh, Mr. Blumel. If this was a recovering Punk Rockers group, your
                                      son would be one of the chartering members.

                                      As we all know Phil is bit busy these days making good stock picks
                                      and building the FL RLC. But I bet when you ain't lookin' and Julie
                                      is taking care of the kids, Phil's tucked away in the garage jammin'
                                      out to his old punk albums.

                                      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "George Blumel" <gblumel@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Isn't there a recovering punk Yahoo group? Or,is this it?

                                      Greene resurfaces!!

                                      > Since many of us seem to be flying the punk rock flag, I'll
                                      volunteer that one can find the Clash, the Ramones, Social
                                      Distortion and Jawbreaker on my iPod along with a bunch of new
                                      school punk bands and (embarrassingly enough) the occassional ska
                                      band. In college I use to be a DJ at the schools radio station and
                                      would occasionaly book bands to play at the student union.

                                      > Maybe some outreach to sites like these could help the RLC:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.conservativepunk.com/index.asp
                                      > http://www.rightwingclothing.com/
                                      >
                                      > Adrian Augustine
                                      > Wisconsin
                                      >
                                      > Manwich <manwichftl@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > I guess I am guilty too. I had a mohawk and listened to only
                                      punk rock
                                      > in High School.
                                      >

                                      > __

                                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    • Adam J. Bernay
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006

                                        Emphasis on “odd.”

                                        Country, anyone?  Soft Rock?  Anyone?

                                        Liberty @...> wrote:

                                        > I guess I'm not "in". punk rock has never been something I
                                        liked.

                                        > _____
                                        >
                                        > From: RLC-Action@yahoogro ups.com
                                        > Is it just a coincidence that all us old punk rockers have ended
                                        up
                                        > in the libertarian Republican movement??
                                        >
                                        > Let's see now, I'm now counting: Phil Blumel, Tom Walls, DJ,
                                        William
                                        > Greene, Ray Holtorf, and me. Brian Doherty of Reason too, but he's
                                        > just a libertarian who largely disdains Republicans. And there's
                                        > Vox Day over at WorldNetDaily. com too. And John Buckley of
                                        National
                                        > Review called himself a "Punk Rock Republican" a few years back.
                                        >
                                        > A few weeks ago, I saw an old DVD of the Dead Kennedys history.
                                        > Jello Biafra was running for Mayor of San
                                        Francisco. And he wasn't
                                        > attacking Conservatives, he was bashing Jerry Brown and San
                                        > Francisco liberals for being so inept and boring.
                                        >
                                        > Somebody ought to do a story on this libertarian- punk connection.
                                        >
                                        > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro <mailto:RLC- Action%40yahoogr oups.com>
                                        ups.com,
                                        > "DJ Entropy" <djentropy@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > You got nothin. I have 3500 records sitting right next to me.
                                        > >
                                        > > :)
                                        > >

                                        > > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:04:23 -0500, Eric Dondero Rittberg
                                        > > <ericdondero@ > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Duuuude! You're serious. I've got my entire collection, which
                                        > > > mirrors yours, of cassettes in two foam coolers in my garage.
                                        > Most
                                        > > > of them are still good.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > But doesn't matter these days.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > If you've got Sirius radio that's all you need in life.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Sirius 31 is Pure Punk/New Wave from the '70's and '80s. And
                                        the
                                        > > > good stuff!
                                        > > >

                                        > > > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogro <mailto:RLC- Action%
                                        40yahoogroups. com>
                                        > ups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@ >

                                        Ants,
                                        > The
                                        > > > Clash, Sex Pistols, The Police, P.I.L., The Plugz, Suicidal
                                        > > > Tendancies, Black Flag et.al. cassettes into purchased CDs!

                                        > > > wrote: Aaron, trust me, you
                                        > don't
                                        > > > know the real Bill Greene. I do. I knew
                                        > mohawk
                                        Greensboro .

                                        Christian
                                        > > > Punk

                                        > > > say,
                                        > Walls,

                                        > Eric.

                                        > <http://www.mediatra nsparency. org/story. php?storyID= 66>
                                        > nsparency.org/ story.php? storyID=66

                                        > <http://www.dakotavo ice.com/200604/ 20060425_ 5.html>
                                        > ice.com/200604/ 20060425_ 5.html

                                        Caucus USA

                                        href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail. yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                                        #1 Hardcore DJ/producer
                                        href="http://www.djentropy.com">http://www.djentrop y.com> y.com
                                        href="http://livejournal.com/users/djentropy">http://livejournal. com/users/ djentropy>
                                        href="http://www.myspace.com/djentropy">http://www.myspace. com/djentropy>

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                          You're right Eric --I used to think he was the worst until I read your stuff here lately...

                                          wrote:

                                          > Isn't there a recovering punk Yahoo group? Or,is this it?

                                        • DJ Entropy
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 27, 2006
                                            On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:13:13 -0500, Adam J. Bernay
                                            <Republican-Liberty@...> wrote:

                                            > Country, anyone?

                                            Sure, some. Johnny Cash, Darryl Worley, Big & Rich

                                            > Soft Rock? Anyone?

                                            Errr...when Phil Collins comes on the radio, I sometimes don't turn it
                                            off...

                                            Who actually LIKES soft rock?

                                            "soft" "rock"? What's the point???

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 28, 2006
                                              Touche' Mr. Blumel. Touche'!

                                              wrote:

                                              > You're right Eric --I used to think he was the worst until I read
                                              your stuff here lately...

                                            • Eric Dondero Rittberg
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 28, 2006
                                                I'm New Country. Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson, Shania, Tim McGraw,
                                                Toby Keith, et.al.

                                                But most especially Country/Lounge fusion group The Mavericks.