FW: [RLC-Action] Speaking of Drugs

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2004
      I think it's safe to say that most RLCers favor at least substantive legalization but would prefer that we not allow ourselves to lead with our chin on the issue to the detriment of our broader objectives [Can you say, "LP"?].  Hence, the following...

      "We recognize the harm that drug abuse causes..." is a "Ransberger Pivot".  "...at the state and community level..." is a recognition that the federal prohibition is contrary to the 10th amendment and the enumeration of powers of the U.S. Constitution and that prohibition, if any, should be at the state or local level.   "...the ‘drug war’ has been ineffective and has led to terrible abuses of personal liberty...  We favor flexible alternatives..." is the operative portion of the statement.  Flexible alternatives could include legalization, decriminalization, availability by prescription, elimination of unconstitutional means of enforcement, etc.

      Such inspecificity has the advantage of being inclusive of all of our members' thinking and, thus, non-divisive to us an organization.  It also has the advantage of clearly placing us on the side of the issue calling for a change in our current drug policy while not placing us so "in your face" of the prevailing social conservative opinion that we compromise our ability to act as a force within the GOP.

      Jeff Palmer - jap@...
      * * *
      Quote of the Week:  “I began to study marijuana in 1967... I had not yet learned that there is something very special about illicit drugs. If they don't always make the drug user behave irrationally, they certainly cause many non-users to behave that way.” -- Harvard medical professor Lester Grinspoon, author of "Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine"