Re: Sad Outcomes in State Races

  • Eric Dondero Rittberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006
      It now appears Don Gorman lost in New Hampshire, as well.

      These are very sad results. We shouldn't try to paint a rosy
      picture. If something doesn't go your way, best thing to do is
      recognize that and take a different course of action.

      My thoughts: I believe we libertarian Republicans may need to
      Mainstream even more. Also become more female-friendly, Black,
      Hispanic, Asian, ect... We also need more celebrity.

      I call this the "Oprah Winfrey-ization of the libertarian
      movement."

      Clearly voters want more fluff and superficiality in their politics
      and are turned off by ideology and bookwormish issue stances.

      We now live in the Nintendo/Comedy Central world. People no longer
      read long Ayn Rand novels like they once did in the 1970s. We
      either recognize that and change with the times, or we'll become
      extinct.

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, westmiller@... wrote:

      > RLCers,
      > Sadly, two prominent RLC Champions at the state
      > level lost their election campaigns yesterday. Maine
      > Rep. Ken Lindell and Washington Rep. (running for
      > state Senate) Toby Nixon garnered about 45% of the
      > vote in their contests.
      > Happily, Sen. David Shafer in Georgia was not
      > challenged in the general election. Other state races
      > were still unreported. The latest I have is on the
      > website:
      >
      > _http://www.republicanliberty.org/candid/c_look.asp_
      > (http://www.republicanliberty.org/candid/c_look.asp)
      >
      > Bill

    • R. Kenneth Lindell
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006

        My demise is official.  I was swept up by the anti-R sentiment and a last minute frivolous suit for libel that hit the papers right before the election Rep. Lindell taken to court for libel - Maine Coast NOW - A Courier Publications Information Source .

        I’ll be back in two years.

        - Ken

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2006
          My thoughts: I believe we libertarian Republicans may need to Mainstream even more. Also become more female-friendly, Black, Hispanic, Asian, ect... We also need more celebrity. -- Eric Dondero Rittberg

          I've never thought that the pursuit of liberty needed to be fractalized to appeal to different sorts of people.  How does one go about appealing to women differently than men, or Hispanics differently than Chinese, or Buddhists differently than atheists, while remaining true to the concept of liberty for all?

          If I argue in favor of more personal freedom and less government intrusion in people's lives, is there anything in my manner of speech that excludes any specific person? By way of example, if I held up a box of donuts and offered them to a room full of people, are only the white males going to come over and take one (because I am a white male)? Do I assume that I must say, "Here's a box of donuts. Help yourselves, especially you ladies and Blacks"? That reeks of it's own insidious brand of prejudice, a sort of reverse discrimination that assumes women and Blacks need special invitations.

          But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe different people do expect personal invitations on silver platters. If we oblige them, do we risk alienating others that didn't get personal attention? Should we mimic the government and translate all our documents into every known language (including Klingon!), just so we don't leave anyone out? How do we pound a neutral concept like liberty into something that appeals to different people differently?

        • Eric Dondero Rittberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
            Yes you will Ken!! Yes you will be back.

            I literally had tears in my eyes when I learned of your (and Toby's
            loss).

            Dammit Ken, YOU MUST WIN IN 2008.

            I'm almost of the mind to suggest to Westmiller that we make your
            reelection the absolute highest priority for the RLC in 2008.

            We luv ya man. And we heartily stand by you.

            --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kenneth Lindell"

            Action@yahoogroups.com] On
            > Behalf Of westmiller@...
            > Sent: 11/10/2006 1:36 PM
            > To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [RLC-Action] Re: Sad Outcomes in State Races
            >
            > Posted by: "Toby Nixon" HYPERLINK
            > "mailto:toby@..."toby@...
            > > ... more than half the votes remain to be counted.
            > That's amazing. I certainly hope that early reports
            > of your "demise" are grossly exaggerated !!
            > The SoS website indicates that there are still a
            > half-million votes to count and updates are planned
            > as late as November 28th. Please keep us updated
            > on your status. We're keeping our fingers crossed;
            > we know that you ran a fabulous campaign.
            >
            > Bill
            >

            > --
            11/09/06