RLC Election Results: 120 WINNERS!

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2006
      Officers & Members,

      Final election results are all in and we did very
      well, with several major disappointments. A total
      of 120 endorsed candidates and initiatives won.
      There were 23 winners among 38 U.S. House
      and Senate candidates we endorsed. Many of the
      unsuccessful were first-time or minor party runs.
      Across the country, 76 of 107 state legislative
      candidates were victorious and 8 of 21 executive
      positions were elected, along with 2 of 4 local or
      county candidates.
      Almost all Anti-Kelo Initiatives passed (9 of 11),
      but all TABOR efforts (3) failed.
      The complete report is now posted to the web:

      http://www.republicanliberty.org/candid/c_look.asp

      Below is my commentary on the election that I
      offered to the Seattle Times today.
      Copy and paste this report to state eGroups at
      your leisure.

      Bill Westmiller
      RLC National Chairman
      RLC candidates did very well. Nearly 80% of our
      candidates for Congress were elected or re-elected,
      because they focused their campaigns on critical
      issues of individual rights, limited government and
      private enterprise. Reps. Jeff Flake, Ron Paul,
      John Shadegg, Steve Chabot, and Jack Kingston
      had very successful campaigns and will be among
      the new leaders in the next Congress.

      Others, like J.D. Hayworth of Arizona, focused
      on conservative issues where we disagree and lost
      their contests. We had some uphill battles that
      were promising, like Paul Ard in Kentucky 6 and
      Joe Negron in Florida 16 ["Punch Foley to elect
      Joe"] that fell short. We also saw some strong
      efforts from new faces, running against entrenched
      incumbents, such as Tim Walberg's victory in
      Michigan 7. There were three RLC victories in
      open seats: Peter Roskam in Illinois 6, Adrian
      Smith in Nebraska 3 and Jim Jordan in Ohio 4.
      These are all going to be strong advocates for
      libertarian ideas in the next Congress.

      In the Senate, our top-rated legislator, John
      Ensign of Nevada, won handily and will be among
      the new leadership in that chamber. John Kyl in
      Arizona and Craig Thomas in Wyoming did very
      well running on RLC positions. Those who "ran
      to the right" on social issues, even though we
      consider them great advocates of economic
      liberty, were defeated. Among the losses were
      George Allen in Virginia, Jim Talent in Missouri,
      and Conrad Burns in Montana ... who suffered
      from connections to the Abramoff scandal.
      They were all very close contests, beaten by
      the tide of a national referendum on Bush.

      Long-time RLC friends, like Mark Sanford in
      South Carolina and Butch Otter in Idaho, had
      strong gubernatorial victories. We were very
      disappointed at Ken Blackwell's loss in Ohio
      and Asa Hutchinson in Arkansas. They both
      ran very good campaigns, but were victims of
      anti-Republican fever.

      Across the country, we had scores of
      state executive and legislative victories, even
      a near victory by RLC favorite Tom McClintock
      in the California Lieutenant Governor's race.
      Over 70% of our candidates won, but we had
      a few RLC members lose their seats in Maine
      and Washington. They'll be back as activists
      and organizers for the next election cycle.

      The RLC made a blanket endorsement of
      two different state initiative issues. Almost all
      of the anti-Kelo propositions were adopted by
      large margins, restricting government takings
      of private property. The Taxpayer Bill of Rights
      [TABOR] initiatives all failed as a result of strong
      opposition from government unions and nearly
      every Democratic legislator. Efforts to enhance
      private property rights and limit taxes will always
      be on our agenda.

      Issue: Iraq
      The loss of trust in the Bush Administration
      had a decidedly bad effect on every Republican
      campaign across the country. RLC candidates
      who won had to demonstrate their independence
      and thoughtful consideration of new strategies
      to overcome the voter's distaste for a prolonged
      and failing effort. Although the RLC has not taken
      an official position on the Iraq War, we are not
      apologists for the President or failed policies.
      We favor a defensive military posture and oppose
      all national building (positions that Bush shared
      until after the Afghan victory).

      Issue: Immigration
      The RLC has always been a strong advocate
      of open borders and fair treatment of immigrants.
      Nearly all of our federal candidates supported
      a comprehensive reform of immigration policy.
      Republicans who focused on "building a wall"
      and cultural protectionism were badly beaten
      across the country. We favor the administration
      proposals for guest workers and an easy path
      to citizenship. We expect that the results of
      this election will prompt Congress to agree to
      a reasonable immigration policy.

      Issue: Spending
      Although making some advances in cutting
      taxes, Republican legislators suffered the just
      wrath of libertarians for profligate spending and
      pork-barrel favoritism. The sad culture of buying
      voter support with special favors, subsidies,
      and foolish projects was the basis for most of
      the corruption scandals that engulfed several
      GOP leaders. We expect RLC victors to join
      Rep. Jeff Flake's heroic efforts to eliminate
      spending earmarks and corporate giveaways.

      Issue: Constitution
      Republicans ought to be the first defenders
      of individual rights and constitutional principles.
      Party loyalty and deference to the President's
      judgement have clouded their devotion to first
      principles. We hope that RLC legislators will
      join Congressman Ron Paul in speaking out
      against every violation of the Constitution. The
      top issue for the RLC is limiting government,
      not expanding it. Our candidates will not be
      supporting entitlement expansions or new
      federal bureaucracies. We hope they can find
      a way to privatize social security and scrap
      federal intervention in education, as critical
      steps toward expanding individual choice.

      -End-
    • Eric Dondero Rittberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2006
        Chairman Westmiller,

        I'm very happy that you're reporting these good results. But there
        was much bad in the election too. On the initiatives front is was a
        wash. There was just as many hurtful losses as there were
        victories. Also, you miss the fact that in many States Property
        Rights was simply thrown off the ballot before the election by
        liberal judges. That counts as a Loss.

        Also, our losses go beyond just numbers. We lost some very dear and
        close friends of the RLC, like Tom, Toby, Don and Ken. We can only
        hope that they will emerge in some other leadership capacity in the
        future, but for now, it's pretty darn hurtful.

        While we should certainly emphasize our wins, we should also be
        honest with ourselves about our losses.