RE: [RLC-Action] Speaking of Drugs

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
      From the RLC website:

      "We recognize the harm that drug abuse causes, but also that the ‘drug war’ has been ineffective and has led to terrible abuses of personal liberty. We favor flexible alternatives at the state and community level to combat the harmful aspects of drug use."

      Jeff Palmer - jap@...
      * * *
      Quote of the Week: "You support the drug-war because you're addicted to power."
      "I'm not addicted to power."
      "Denial is the first sign of addiction!"

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
        >Frank,
        >
        >"We brought democracy (already) to Afghanistan, no oil there."
        >
        >Nope, just building a pipeline across Afghanistan to Khurzikstan
        >where there IS oil.

        Isn't Khurzikstan next to Ruritania? I think you are thinking of
        either Khazakstan, Kurdistan or possibly
        Kuzikstan (which I don't think has existed since the 13th century),
        though none of those is actually
        correct.

        In anycase, the pipeline in question (which actually goes to
        Turkmenistan) was under
        development under the Taliban with US cooperation, and would have
        been completed by now
        had we NOT invaded Afghanistan. Current plans for building it pick
        up where that plan
        left off. There was never any question of it getting built prior to
        the war, and the war actually
        delayed it by several years, so suggesting that the pipeline was a
        reason for the war is just
        ridiculous.

        This kind of ill-informed assumption is what I spend most of my time
        battling. Your pipeline
        story is sister to the popular liberal claim that we invaded Iraq for
        oil - which makes no sense
        at all as we could get all the oil we wanted from Saddam without a
        war which has shut production
        down almost completely. It's like the '14 Permanent Military Bases
        in Iraq' claim which I debunked
        earlier this week (see http://www.diablog.us) or the famous red
        state/blue state IQ fantasy. People want to believe the worst, so
        they latch on to some little tidbit of information, totally
        misunderstand or
        misinterpret or misrepresent it for their own purposes, spew it out
        on the web and then people
        start taking it as gospel.

        -----

        Common Sense for Austin Politics
        www.commonsenseaustin.com
        Launching in the Spring of 2004
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
          >From the RLC website:
          >
          >"We recognize the harm that drug abuse causes,
          >but also that the ‘drug war’ has been
          >ineffective and has led to terrible abuses of
          >personal liberty. We favor flexible alternatives
          >at the state and community level to combat the
          >harmful aspects of drug use."

          I think that means support for decriminalization
          but not full-out legalization, am I right?

          -----

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
            I'm okay with medicinal uses for effective drugs, but I'm against throwing the gates open to recreational drug use. That's just the full disclosure so you know where I stand before I question that item from the RLC website. The first sentence is an acceptable statement of truth, but the second sentence leaves me wondering what is meant by "flexible alternatives ... to combat the harmful aspects of drug use." I can't see any other outcome than costly taxpayer funded rehabilitation programs. So, it seems that drugs cost society whether they are being warred against (law enforcement) or made love to (drug rehab programs).

            Doug Harrison
            From the RLC website:

            "We recognize the harm that drug abuse causes, but also that the ‘drug war’ has been ineffective and has led to terrible abuses of personal liberty. We favor flexible alternatives at the state and community level to combat the harmful aspects of drug use."

          • pusherprop
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
              Let's don't forget our over-riding goal in the Middle East is to keep
              the oil flowing. A major disruption of the oil supply would send the
              world into an immediate financial crisis, and possibly something much
              worse. For example the world credit system could begin to unfold.
              This is something that no American President wants to happen on his
              watch. They'll all bend over backward to avoid something like this.

              So stop looking at the trees (WMDs, pipelines, Iraqi oil) and take a
              look at the forest. On balance have we done anything to damage the
              flow of Middle East oil, or conversely have we put strategies in place
              which strengthen the flow? Focus on Saudi Arabia as the key player in
              the region. The big picture isn't that hard to see.

              Chuck Seberg

              > In anycase, the pipeline in question (which actually goes to
              > Turkmenistan) was under
              > development under the Taliban with US cooperation, and would have
              > been completed by now
              > had we NOT invaded Afghanistan. Current plans for building it pick
              > up where that plan
              > left off. There was never any question of it getting built prior to
              > the war, and the war actually
              > delayed it by several years, so suggesting that the pipeline was a
              > reason for the war is just
              > ridiculous.
              >
              > This kind of ill-informed assumption is what I spend most of my time
              > battling. Your pipeline
              > story is sister to the popular liberal claim that we invaded Iraq for
              > oil - which makes no sense
              > at all as we could get all the oil we wanted from Saddam without a
              > war which has shut production
              > down almost completely. It's like the '14 Permanent Military Bases
              > in Iraq' claim which I debunked
              > earlier this week (see http://www.diablog.us) or the famous red
              > state/blue state IQ fantasy. People want to believe the worst, so
              > they latch on to some little tidbit of information, totally
              > misunderstand or
              > misinterpret or misrepresent it for their own purposes, spew it out
              > on the web and then people
              > start taking it as gospel.
              >
              > Dave
              > --
              >
              > -----
              >
              > Common Sense for Austin Politics
              > www.commonsenseaustin.com
              > Launching in the Spring of 2004
            • John David Galt
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
                > From the RLC website:
                >
                > "We recognize the harm that drug abuse causes, but also that the ‘drug
                > war’ has been ineffective and has led to terrible abuses of personal
                > liberty. We favor flexible alternatives at the state and community level
                > to combat the harmful aspects of drug use."

                Seems like a reasonable weasel-position, but I hope what it really means is
                that any move toward the eventual goal of full legalization is encouraged.
                At the very least, those recreational drugs that _can_ be safely consumed
                (and that's most of them) should be legal for adults, with regulations along
                the lines of the present laws concerning alcohol (or less strict).

                But personally, I won't be satisfied until all drugs are fully legal for
                adults -- and until the lying thugs who have been locking up users and
                sellers for the last century are hauled in front of "Nuremberg courts", then
                into prison in place of their victims. Every single one of them.
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
                  >I'm okay with medicinal uses for effective drugs, but I'm against
                  >throwing the gates open to recreational drug use. That's just the
                  >full disclosure so you know where I stand before I question that
                  >item from the RLC website. The first sentence is an acceptable
                  >statement of truth, but the second sentence leaves me wondering what
                  >is meant by "flexible alternatives ... to combat the harmful aspects
                  >of drug use." I can't see any other outcome than costly taxpayer
                  >funded rehabilitation programs. So, it seems that drugs cost society
                  >whether they are being warred against (law enforcement) or made love
                  >to (drug rehab programs).

                  Well, rehab is cheaper and more effective than locking people up in
                  jail. Plus it doesn't carry with it all of the negative civil rights
                  baggage that the war on drugs has produced. IMO as long as the drug
                  is no worse than alcohol it might as well be legal for adults in the
                  privacy of their own homes. We should judge people by what harm they
                  do to others, not by what they do to themselves.

                  -----

                  Common Sense for Austin Politics
                  www.commonsenseaustin.com
                  Launching in the Spring of 2004
                • bill Jambura
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 10, 2004
                    Chuck,

                    I agree and invite you back to my original rebuttal to Frank. Implicit
                    in that rebuttal is that it doesn't matter to the consumer who pumps the
                    crude out of the ground, since OPEC fixes the price anyway. But it does
                    matter to the transnational oil companies whether or not they are the one
                    that gets to profit from pumping that crude. Thus the rift between the
                    major players in the European Union and Britain over Iraq. It's not
                    about religion, freedom or democracy, it's about who gets the profits.

                    Again, if BP wants to control that oil, then let the Brits die for it.
                    Or better yet, let all the oil companies hire their own mercenaries to
                    capture and control those resources. But, I don't blame them for their
                    ways. As a matter of good business, it's less expensive (more cost
                    effective) for oil companies to buy puppet governments and career
                    politicians who'll use their nations armies to secure the resources for
                    them. Even Adam Smith realized corporations have a bottom line instead
                    of a conscious.

                    As for the pipeline in Afghanistan, you're adding a more realistic reason
                    for America to be there--profits. I suppose if we disturbed the drug
                    lords who sponsor global terrorists the pipeline project would suffer
                    greatly. It's funny how money can rapidly eclipses the moral high
                    ground.

                    Bill

                    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:07:32 -0000 "pusherprop" <pusherprop3@...>
                    writes:

                    > Let's don't forget our over-riding goal in the Middle East is to
                    > keep
                    > the oil flowing. A major disruption of the oil supply would send
                    > the
                    > world into an immediate financial crisis, and possibly something
                    > much
                    > worse. For example the world credit system could begin to unfold.
                    > This is something that no American President wants to happen on his
                    > watch. They'll all bend over backward to avoid something like
                    > this.
                    >
                    > So stop looking at the trees (WMDs, pipelines, Iraqi oil) and take
                    > look at the forest. On balance have we done anything to damage the
                    > flow of Middle East oil, or conversely have we put strategies in
                    > place
                    > which strengthen the flow? Focus on Saudi Arabia as the key player
                    > in
                    > the region. The big picture isn't that hard to see.
                    >
                    > Chuck Seberg
                    >

                    > > In anycase, the pipeline in question (which actually goes to
                    > > Turkmenistan) was under
                    > > development under the Taliban with US cooperation, and would have
                    >
                    > > been completed by now
                    > > had we NOT invaded Afghanistan. Current plans for building it
                    > pick
                    > > up where that plan
                    > > left off. There was never any question of it getting built prior
                    > > the war, and the war actually
                    > > delayed it by several years, so suggesting that the pipeline was a
                    >
                    > > reason for the war is just
                    > > ridiculous.
                    > >
                    > > This kind of ill-informed assumption is what I spend most of my
                    > time
                    > > battling. Your pipeline
                    > > story is sister to the popular liberal claim that we invaded Iraq
                    > for
                    > > oil - which makes no sense
                    > > at all as we could get all the oil we wanted from Saddam without a
                    >
                    > > war which has shut production
                    > > down almost completely. It's like the '14 Permanent Military
                    > Bases
                    > > in Iraq' claim which I debunked
                    > > earlier this week (see http://www.diablog.us) or the famous red
                    > > state/blue state IQ fantasy. People want to believe the worst, so
                    >
                    > > they latch on to some little tidbit of information, totally
                    > > misunderstand or
                    > > misinterpret or misrepresent it for their own purposes, spew it
                    > out
                    > > on the web and then people
                    > > start taking it as gospel.
                    > >
                    > > Dave
                    > > --
                    > >
                    > > -----
                    > >
                    > > Common Sense for Austin Politics
                    > > www.commonsenseaustin.com
                    > > Launching in the Spring of 2004

                    > --------------------~-->
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/PdSolB/TM

                  • F Worley
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 11, 2004
                      Your comments below are exactly why, recreational drugs use should be legalized, regulated and yes, TAXED.  Right now we have 2 dramatic problems, crime and health.  By legalizing the crime (organized and most violent) would be eliminated as in the end of prohibition.  We would also save upwards of 100 billion dollars per year, by releasing everyone in prison currently held or on probation for drug related crimes.  (rough estimate).

                      Then we are left with the health problem.  Which can be financed by the taxes raised by drug uesers.

                      Consider this:  While recreational drug use has remained mostly constant, both Alcohol and Tabacco use have been reduced dramatically in the last 20 years.

                      I think we should take a stronger stance on the drug war.

                      Frank

                      DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...> wrote:
                      ...what is meant by "flexible alternatives ... to combat the harmful aspects of drug use." I can't see any other outcome than costly taxpayer funded rehabilitation programs. So, it seems that drugs cost society whether they are being warred against (law enforcement) or made love to (drug rehab programs).

                      Doug Harrison
                      From the RLC website:

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 11, 2004
                           Good analysis from Jeff Palmer of the RLC position on drugs.
                        From: "Jeff Palmer" <jap@...>
                        I think it's safe to say that most RLCers favor at least substantive
                        legalization but would prefer that we not allow ourselves to lead with our
                        chin on the issue to the detriment of our broader objectives...
                            The Statement attempts to apply the Principles of the prefix to
                        current topics, without itemizing "platform positions", where
                        there can be an honest dispute of the facts and proper law. Note
                        that it applies to *all drugs*, not just hallucinogens or narcotics.
                        The position is just as applicable to alcohol, cigarettes, and
                        prescription medicines as it is to marijuana or cocaine.
                        "We recognize the harm that drug abuse causes..." is a "Ransberger Pivot".
                            I haven't heard the term "Ransberger Pivot", but all of the
                        Positions start by granting legitimate social or political concerns,
                        then articulating a principled response.
                        ... Flexible alternatives could include legalization, decriminalization, availability by
                        prescription, elimination of unconstitutional means of enforcement, etc.
                            ... as well as the "radical" position that would only support
                        laws protecting minors (who can't give informed consent), fraud
                        (adulteration or fake chemical products), and copyright.
                        Such inspecificity has the advantage of being inclusive of all of our
                        members' thinking and, thus, non-divisive to us an organization.  It also
                        has the advantage of clearly placing us on the side of the issue calling for
                        a change in our current drug policy while not placing us so "in your face"
                        of the prevailing social conservative opinion that we compromise our ability
                        to act as a force within the GOP.
                            Exactly correct. It allows us to support "interim steps" that
                        conform with our principles, such as legalized medical marijuana,
                        the abolition of rigid minimum drug sentences, and FDA dictates
                        on "safe and effective" licensing.
                            Since the purpose of this eGroup is to discuss RLC *Action*,
                        not debate issues, our chapters use the "World's Smallest Political
                        Quiz" from the Advocates (self-gov.org), which includes the issue
                        statement: "Repeal laws prohibiting adult possession and use of
                        drugs?"
                            Now, as to doing some serious work, we have an agreement
                        with the Marijuana Policy Project [MPP] to exchange mailing
                        lists - from over a year ago - but haven't had anyone who had the
                        time and interest to compose a solicitation to their members.
                            If anyone is willing to take on this outreach project, please let
                        me know ASAP.

                        Bill Westmiller
                        RLC Chairman
                      • Kevin Boyd
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 11, 2004
                          Bill,

                          I'm off from university until late-January. I can at least get started
                          on soliciting the MPP mailing list. So count me in.

                          Kevin Boyd
                          Interim Coordinator
                          RLC-Louisiana

                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 12, 2004
                               Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:01:20 -0000
                               From: "Kevin Boyd" kevinboyd1984@...

                            I'm off from university until late-January. I can at least get started

                            on soliciting the MPP mailing list. So count me in.

                                Excellent. The primary task is composing the solicitation letter
                            and other materials that would go into the mailing. We have to get
                            approval of those materials from MPP before we get the list for
                            mailing. The package also needs to be reviewed by the RLC Board
                            before submission to MPP. To start, draft a letter that you think
                            would be appealing and motivate their members to join the RLC.
                            Suggest an enclosure that would directly address the issue,
                            perhaps from some prominent RLC advocate (I'm not sure that
                            we can reach Gary Johnson, but Lyn Nofzinger is on the RLC
                            Advisory Board and certainly well known).

                            Bill
                          • Barry Moore
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                              "Are you suggesting with this post that we invaded Afghanistan, not to get the authors of 9/11 but to build a pipeline?"

                              Answer: I think it was a high point of consideration.

                              The original point was that we were only liberating oil rich nations, a point I took issue with.  I think the discussion is now a bit off topic, so you can respond to me personally at worley_f2003@... if you wish.

                              Barry Moore <b_moore@...> wrote:
                              Frank,

                              "We brought democracy (already) to Afghanistan, no oil there."

                              Nope, just building a pipeline across Afghanistan to Khurzikstan where there IS oil.

                              --- Barry

                              "Trade with all, entangling alliances with none" - Thomas Jefferson, 1801

                              "�It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world.�
                              - George Washington, 1797

                              F Worley <worley_f2003@...> wrote:

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • bill Jambura
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                                Binary arguments work well in spin machines.  But I don't see it as an "either or", but an "and too".  Please go back a few e-mails in this series to read my e-mail of 10 Dec 04 reprinted below:

                                "Well said Barry!

                                Also, we went into Afghanistan to get the Taliban and Bin Ladin who sponsored attacks on America--no doubts there.  We have every right to be there.  Some people still like to blur Afghanistan with what we're doing in Iraq.

                                As a foot note, we didn't and won't  touch the poppy fields in Afghanistan--never mind our War on Drugs.  Yet, we're told that illegal drug traffic is a major funding source for terrorists.  So who really controls Afghanistan, the new president or the drug lords who sponsor the terrorists?  A question that extends to many of  the "democracies" in South and Central America.  Maybe it's time to invent a new term:  DINO--Democracy In Name Only."

                                (In real time, I'm pleased to hear that we are now going to go after the opium lords in Afghanistan.  The sooner we send them to Allah, the better for all!  I just wish we were more aggressive in South and Central America, instead of pursuing the end users in our own country at the peril of everyone's civil rights.)

                                Bill Jambura

                                Barry Moore <b_moore@...> wrote:
                                Frank,

                                "We brought democracy (already) to Afghanistan, no oil there."

                                Nope, just building a pipeline across Afghanistan to Khurzikstan where there IS oil.

                                --- Barry

                                "Trade with all, entangling alliances with none" - Thomas Jefferson, 1801

                                "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world.
                                - George Washington, 1797

                                F Worley <worley_f2003@...> wrote:

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                Get unlimited calls to

                                U.S./Canada

                              • Chuck Seberg
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                                  I see lots of binary logic on this list.  But you must know the government figures everything six ways from Sunday before they make a move.  If the invasion of Afganistan accomplished a major goal (neutralizing the terrorists), and had half a dozen beneficial side-effects, so much the better.  Nothing surprising in that.

                                  I have a book recommendation for you guys.  It's "Taliban" by Ahmed Rashid.  He's a Pakistani journalist who got inside the Taliban, and does a good job of laying out Afghanistan before the US invasion.  It was far from a simple situation then, so I doubt our involvement is anything but simple now.  Not really something which lends itself to simple analysis.

                                  BTW, what does any of this have to do with RLC-Action?

                                  Chuck Seberg

                                  Barry Moore <b_moore@...> wrote:
                                  Frank,

                                  "We brought democracy (already) to Afghanistan, no oil there."

                                  Nope, just building a pipeline across Afghanistan to Khurzikstan where there IS oil.

                                  --- Barry

                                  "Trade with all, entangling alliances with none" - Thomas Jefferson, 1801

                                  "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world.
                                  - George Washington, 1797

                                  F Worley <worley_f2003@...> wrote:

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • Guy McLendon
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
                                    Why only send in Agent 007 with a letter of marque when you can instead send in the Marines, and have the pipeline as a bonus?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 14, 2004
                                      I think being  cynical  (forgive my early morning spelling) is probably a good thing.  But there is a limit.  We harm our own credibility, when we allege things as silly as this.  It really is irresponsible to say or even allege that the US invaded afghanistan for the sole purpose of getting a pipeline or with that in mind or as a primary benifit.

                                      The Taliban were given an opportunity to hand over Bin Laden and could have done so and kept their control over the country, they refused.

                                      Our ability to be effective in actions we support or take, is directly affected by how people perceive us.  If we make wild accusations, with lilttle or not basis in fact or relevence to the issues of the day, we cannot hope to have an impact.

                                      You may believe these accusations are based in fact, but are they really relevent to what is going on in our nation?

                                      More importantly, it implies that, were we in charge, we would not have invaded Afghanistan in order to avoid the perception that we might be trading blood for oil.

                                      And who would vote for someone afraid to defend the nation because it my be misinterpreted as a drive for oil?

                                      Frank