RE: [RLC-Action] Operation: "Ton of Bricks"

  • Adam J. Bernay
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006

      Doug: Why mail them?  We have RLC people in the area.  Call a press conference and deliver them to Capitol Hill, having informed our Congressmen and the Capitol Police ahead of time what they are.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
        Adam: Nice! And call the media, too. It would certainly be an event. Rather than a quiet trickle of bricks being hidden in the trash cans of Congressional offices, we'd have the desired affect of a "Ton of Bricks" landing in Washington.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
          I like the idea very much,  IF  there  a reasonable number of bricks are generated  --and they are off the foam type..   Depending on the timing and the number of bricks generated,  as someone in near-by Baltimore,  I would be willing to help deliver and be involved in any press connection.   I am rather sure Spear Lancaster the other Co-Chair for Maryland would also be willing to participate.
          Do we have a price per foam brick?  Can we have a name or something special on the brick to show it represents another unique citizen or group?

          Steve M. Sass,   RLC Co-Chair -- Maryland

          DGHarrison wrote:
> [...]

          Other ideas might include delivery of miniature Liberty Bells to members of Congress to remind them that legislation they contemplate must pass Constitutional muster. Maybe we could set up a mock Liberty Bell (either real or virtual) whose "crack" grows longer and wider, and the bell grows less harmonious with each unConstitutional measure passed by Congress. It could be like one of those doomsday clocks. If done well enough, it could get a lot of attention on the Internet. It would, of course, need to be connected to the RLC in some substantial manner.

        • Alan Turin
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
            Send erzatz bricks for erzatz Republicans....seems apt.

            your most faithful and obedient servant

            Alan Turin

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
              "If Muth is correct..." then we are truly living in bizarro world. There is a whole community of political commentators who can comment about how the GOP "blew it."

              Considering Mr. Muth's reign of error here in the RLC, I'd suggest we cite almost anybody else for insights. This was not meant to be harsh with anybody here who cited him. But Muth's is a bete noire for many of us.

              your most faithful and obedient servant

              Alan Turin

            • Steve Redlich
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                >> I like the idea of sending bricks - real or fake - to every remaining
                >> Republican in the House and Senate (and don't forget to send a few to
                >> Bush), and samples to media outlets for publicity.

                I'd like to point out that closed border groups have been sending bricks
                to Congress to give them the idea they need to build a wall.
                http://flapsblog.com/?p=2362

                Our effort would likely get lumped in with that and not have the desired
                pro-liberty effect. We should think of something else to send. Maybe
                statues of Liberty or copies the bill or rights or even our Liberty
                Compact.

                Steve
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                  Posted by: "steven s." crestln@...
                  > I like the idea very much ...

                      I love it, but being a crusty curmudgeon, let me
                  add a little dose of reality. The RLC doesn't even
                  have ONE volunteer coordinator in DC, much less
                  a media operation that could promote such a PR
                  event. The RLC doesn't have enough money to
                  send a newsletter to members, much less a ton
                  of bricks to Congress. The decision is going to
                  be made in 10 days, not enough time to arrange
                  such a massive project.
                     The National Board is reviewing a press release,
                  which might be distributed ... if we had an active
                  Media Director or a useful media database.
                     Given our resources, the best we can do is
                  urge members to contact *their own* members
                  of Congress to insist on the election of Shadegg
                  and Flake to House leadership positions.
                      But, keep the marvelous ideas flowing!