RE: [RLC-Action] Operation: "Ton of Bricks"

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
      Good idea.

      If we do so, the RLC name and logo should also be on the bricks...  Something else to consider when researching the pricing...

      Jeff Palmer - jap@...
       * * *
      Quote of the Week:  "You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream - the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order - or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism." -- Ronald Reagan, 1988

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006

        Doug:

        I like the idea of sending bricks – real or fake – to every remaining Republican in the House and Senate (and don’t forget to send a few to Bush), and samples to media outlets for publicity.  But I think that this idea of throwing even fake bricks at people is a bad idea.  It is, legally, assault.  We don’t want to encourage people to do that, not in the current legal climate.

        I also agree that real bricks make a better statement, but they may be too pricey.  They may also be viewed more negatively.  I suggest we consult one or two of our Advisory Board members on which to send (they might even contribute towards the project!).

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
          Yes! Absolutely!

          Maybe in small print put “This Attitude Realignment Device brought to you by
          the Republican Liberty Caucus in memory of 11/7/06."

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
            I must admit that I had second thoughts about the potential for negative press from anything labeled an "attack," even if it was done in jest, but I felt the concept needed to be evaluated. I hadn't thought it might be considered assault until you mentioned it, and that brought to mind the egg and pie attacks that were prosecuted as assaults. So, any actual tossing of foam bricks seems ill advised, leaving the mail barrage all the more important. Foam bricks would be cheaper to mail, but they'd need to arrive in very large numbers. Real bricks would gain more attention just because they'd anger the mail carriers, who would make an issue of it. But at something like 6 pounds per brick, I suppose it runs about $2 a pound. Maybe a combination of real and foam bricks would have the most impact without becoming too expensive. -- Doug Harrison

            Doug:

            I like the idea of sending bricks – real or fake – to every remaining Republican in the House and Senate (and don’t forget to send a few to Bush), and samples to media outlets for publicity.  But I think that this idea of throwing even fake bricks at people is a bad idea.  It is, legally, assault.  We don’t want to encourage people to do that, not in the current legal climate.

            I also agree that real bricks make a better statement, but they may be too pricey.  They may also be viewed more negatively.  I suggest we consult one or two of our Advisory Board members on which to send (they might even contribute towards the project!). -- Adam J. Bernay

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006

              Doug: Why mail them?  We have RLC people in the area.  Call a press conference and deliver them to Capitol Hill, having informed our Congressmen and the Capitol Police ahead of time what they are.

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                Adam: Nice! And call the media, too. It would certainly be an event. Rather than a quiet trickle of bricks being hidden in the trash cans of Congressional offices, we'd have the desired affect of a "Ton of Bricks" landing in Washington.

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                  I like the idea very much,  IF  there  a reasonable number of bricks are generated  --and they are off the foam type..   Depending on the timing and the number of bricks generated,  as someone in near-by Baltimore,  I would be willing to help deliver and be involved in any press connection.   I am rather sure Spear Lancaster the other Co-Chair for Maryland would also be willing to participate.
                  Do we have a price per foam brick?  Can we have a name or something special on the brick to show it represents another unique citizen or group?

                  Steve M. Sass,   RLC Co-Chair -- Maryland

                  DGHarrison wrote:
> [...]

                  Other ideas might include delivery of miniature Liberty Bells to members of Congress to remind them that legislation they contemplate must pass Constitutional muster. Maybe we could set up a mock Liberty Bell (either real or virtual) whose "crack" grows longer and wider, and the bell grows less harmonious with each unConstitutional measure passed by Congress. It could be like one of those doomsday clocks. If done well enough, it could get a lot of attention on the Internet. It would, of course, need to be connected to the RLC in some substantial manner.

                • Alan Turin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                    Send erzatz bricks for erzatz Republicans....seems apt.

                    your most faithful and obedient servant

                    Alan Turin

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                      "If Muth is correct..." then we are truly living in bizarro world. There is a whole community of political commentators who can comment about how the GOP "blew it."

                      Considering Mr. Muth's reign of error here in the RLC, I'd suggest we cite almost anybody else for insights. This was not meant to be harsh with anybody here who cited him. But Muth's is a bete noire for many of us.

                      your most faithful and obedient servant

                      Alan Turin

                    • Steve Redlich
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                        >> I like the idea of sending bricks - real or fake - to every remaining
                        >> Republican in the House and Senate (and don't forget to send a few to
                        >> Bush), and samples to media outlets for publicity.

                        I'd like to point out that closed border groups have been sending bricks
                        to Congress to give them the idea they need to build a wall.
                        http://flapsblog.com/?p=2362

                        Our effort would likely get lumped in with that and not have the desired
                        pro-liberty effect. We should think of something else to send. Maybe
                        statues of Liberty or copies the bill or rights or even our Liberty
                        Compact.

                        Steve
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                          Posted by: "steven s." crestln@...
                          > I like the idea very much ...

                              I love it, but being a crusty curmudgeon, let me
                          add a little dose of reality. The RLC doesn't even
                          have ONE volunteer coordinator in DC, much less
                          a media operation that could promote such a PR
                          event. The RLC doesn't have enough money to
                          send a newsletter to members, much less a ton
                          of bricks to Congress. The decision is going to
                          be made in 10 days, not enough time to arrange
                          such a massive project.
                             The National Board is reviewing a press release,
                          which might be distributed ... if we had an active
                          Media Director or a useful media database.
                             Given our resources, the best we can do is
                          urge members to contact *their own* members
                          of Congress to insist on the election of Shadegg
                          and Flake to House leadership positions.
                              But, keep the marvelous ideas flowing!