Join your local GOP club -- a case study

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2006
      Friends,

      Last night I attended a meeting of the Central Palm Beach County
      (Fla.) Republican Club. This is a typical mainstream local GOP club,
      except that a couple of RLCers have joined it. It shows.

      The speaker was Carlos Ball, who speaks under RLC auspices at GOP
      clubs several times. Ball, a Venezuelan, runs Agencia Interamericana
      de Prensa Económica (AIPE), a wire service in Florida that
      distributes libertarian op-eds to major newspapers in Latin America.
      His opinion pieces have appeared throughout Latin America as well as
      in U.S. publications, including The Wall Street Journal. Ball is an
      adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute.

      His talk was titled "U.S. and Latim America: Unneighborly relations."

      Ball talked about how U.S. policy hurts our interests in
      Latin America and pointed to five policy prescriptions to improve
      relations and to encourage the pro-liberty elements in Latin America:

      1) Expand free trade and investment with the Americas
      2) Expand legal immigration
      3) Ease travel restrictions between U.S. and Latin America
      4) Stop U.S. foreign aid to latin American governments
      5) Stop U.S. intervention in Latin America in the name of the Drug
      War

      The audience was fascinated and there was extensive Q&A. One might
      think that such an overt libertarian presentation would not be
      welcome at a GOP club. Wrong.

      I believe it is vital to the success of the RLC that our members
      join and attend their local GOP meetings. This is how the RLC is
      connected to the GOP, through our participation. With RLCers in GOP
      clubs around the state, we can provide speakers and simultaneously
      push your state RLC's policy priorities and candidates.

      -- Philip Blumel, www.rlcfl.org