Re: [RLC-Action] John Tierney: Can the GOP be saved?

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
      Can the GOP be saved? A better question is, should the GOP in its current permutation be saved? I was immediately alarmed by the president's choice of the term "compassionate conservatism." I knew then that he was pandering and that it could only mean more entitlement spending. It's like saying, "My! Look at the pretty skunk!" Calling it pretty isn't going to make it any less stinky. By adding the prescription drug benefits and not eliminating the Department of Education, the president and his advisors were perhaps hoping to give the Democrats programs they'd embrace in exchange for their support of the legislation needed to prosecute the "War on Terror," (regrettably, another poor choice of words). What folly! Democrats will never be bought by Republican pitch men. It is sad to say that the reverse is not also true. Should a party that doesn't play to win be saved?

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
        I always found 'compassionate conservatism' more than a little creepy
        myself, but I expect a lot of hot air and silliness from my
        politicians. The question is whether they're rotten to the core or
        just have a little surface mildew going on. And BTW - true story -
        skunks smell good to me, rather like a tasty garlicky salami.

        Dave

        --

        Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
        http://www.elitistpig.com