Re: Your Invitation: 2nd Annual "Common Ground" Meeting

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      I'll take it this means you won't be at the RLC national convention
      Sept. 15-17 in Orlando...

      Philip Blumel
      www.rlcfl.org

      --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Guy McLendon" <guy@...> wrote:

      > Dear Friends & Fellow Citizens,
      >
      > You are cordially invited to attend a very important event here in
      Harris
      > County, Texas.
      >
      > On September 16, 2006, the eve of 219th anniversary of the signing
      of the US
      > Constitution, officials from four political parties will meet to
      discuss the
      > importance of protecting a vital part of our American heritage ...
      the basis
      > of the contract between the US citizenry and the public officials
      who
      > reportedly work for us. Except for Election Day itself, this
      event will be
      > the most promoted item on the Harris County LP's calendar for this
      election
      > season. Political parties meeting will include: Constitution,
      Green,
      > Libertarian & Reform-USA.
      >
      > Please make every effort to attend. Admittedly, it's a tall
      order ... but,
      > our intention is for you to have the opportunity to witness a
      significant
      > historical event. Rarely has such a broad cross section of
      Americans come
      > together for the purpose of reinstating that idea which is the
      true basis of
      > American patriotism - the concept that the power of elected
      officials is
      > limited by a written, enforced contract.
      >
      > Please download your invitation, map & traveling directions listed
      under the
      > Sept 16, 2006 event on our home page:
      >
      > http://www.lptexas.org/harris/
      >
      > Respectfully yours,
      > Guy McLendon
      > Chairman Harris County Libertarian Party
      > guy@...

    • Guy McLendon
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006

        Philip,

        Yea … sorry about that.  After I became chair of Harris County Libertarian Party and Vice-Chairman of the LP National Platform Committee, I think my RLC membership grade went down to being a sub-member.  So, I couldn’t vote if I went.  How many total attendees do you expect yall will attract?

        Also, I’m very disappointed that RLC of Texas refuses to endorse Bob Smither, and is apparently still sitting on the fence.  If RLC can’t endorse an obviously deserving LP candidate when your bylaws would permit it, then it’s gonna be difficult or impossible to propagate a broad program for LP folks to stand down when RLC has a worthy champion.  Developing such a broad program was the main thrust in my efforts as your “RLC National Liaison”.

        On a personal basis, Texas statewide land commissioner Jerry Patterson endorsed Bob, and I understand Jerry has a libertarian philosophy.  During the next LP of Texas State Convention, I plan to support NOTA in LP convention if Jerry is running again for that office … I try to help friends when I can.

        Sincerely,

        Guy McLendon

        Chair Harris County

        Houston, Texas