Your Invitation: 2nd Annual "Common Ground" Meeting

  • Guy McLendon
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31 5:13 PM
      Dear Friends & Fellow Citizens,

      You are cordially invited to attend a very important event here in Harris
      County, Texas.

      On September 16, 2006, the eve of 219th anniversary of the signing of the US
      Constitution, officials from four political parties will meet to discuss the
      importance of protecting a vital part of our American heritage ... the basis
      of the contract between the US citizenry and the public officials who
      reportedly work for us. Except for Election Day itself, this event will be
      the most promoted item on the Harris County LP's calendar for this election
      season. Political parties meeting will include: Constitution, Green,
      Libertarian & Reform-USA.

      Please make every effort to attend. Admittedly, it's a tall order ... but,
      our intention is for you to have the opportunity to witness a significant
      historical event. Rarely has such a broad cross section of Americans come
      together for the purpose of reinstating that idea which is the true basis of
      American patriotism - the concept that the power of elected officials is
      limited by a written, enforced contract.

      Please download your invitation, map & traveling directions listed under the
      Sept 16, 2006 event on our home page:

      http://www.lptexas.org/harris/

      Respectfully yours,
      Guy McLendon
      Chairman Harris County Libertarian Party
      guy@...
    • Philip Blumel
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31 8:04 PM
        I'll take it this means you won't be at the RLC national convention
        Sept. 15-17 in Orlando...

        Philip Blumel
        www.rlcfl.org

        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Guy McLendon" <guy@...> wrote:

        > Dear Friends & Fellow Citizens,
        >
        > You are cordially invited to attend a very important event here in
        Harris
        > County, Texas.
        >
        > On September 16, 2006, the eve of 219th anniversary of the signing
        of the US
        > Constitution, officials from four political parties will meet to
        discuss the
        > importance of protecting a vital part of our American heritage ...
        the basis
        > of the contract between the US citizenry and the public officials
        who
        > reportedly work for us. Except for Election Day itself, this
        event will be
        > the most promoted item on the Harris County LP's calendar for this
        election
        > season. Political parties meeting will include: Constitution,
        Green,
        > Libertarian & Reform-USA.
        >
        > Please make every effort to attend. Admittedly, it's a tall
        order ... but,
        > our intention is for you to have the opportunity to witness a
        significant
        > historical event. Rarely has such a broad cross section of
        Americans come
        > together for the purpose of reinstating that idea which is the
        true basis of
        > American patriotism - the concept that the power of elected
        officials is
        > limited by a written, enforced contract.
        >
        > Please download your invitation, map & traveling directions listed
        under the
        > Sept 16, 2006 event on our home page:
        >
        > http://www.lptexas.org/harris/
        >
        > Respectfully yours,
        > Guy McLendon
        > Chairman Harris County Libertarian Party
        > guy@...

      • Guy McLendon
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006

          Philip,

          Yea … sorry about that.  After I became chair of Harris County Libertarian Party and Vice-Chairman of the LP National Platform Committee, I think my RLC membership grade went down to being a sub-member.  So, I couldn’t vote if I went.  How many total attendees do you expect yall will attract?

          Also, I’m very disappointed that RLC of Texas refuses to endorse Bob Smither, and is apparently still sitting on the fence.  If RLC can’t endorse an obviously deserving LP candidate when your bylaws would permit it, then it’s gonna be difficult or impossible to propagate a broad program for LP folks to stand down when RLC has a worthy champion.  Developing such a broad program was the main thrust in my efforts as your “RLC National Liaison”.

          On a personal basis, Texas statewide land commissioner Jerry Patterson endorsed Bob, and I understand Jerry has a libertarian philosophy.  During the next LP of Texas State Convention, I plan to support NOTA in LP convention if Jerry is running again for that office … I try to help friends when I can.

          Sincerely,

          Guy McLendon

          Chair Harris County

          Houston, Texas