Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Roll Call on Intelligence Bill

  • Barry Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
      ...and, since it's probably got some conflicting sections, it will probably be "ruled"
      by department regulation in lieu of Congressional mandate. Result? More lawmaking
      by the Executive branch.

      From: Dave Nalle dave@...
      > While I object top any form of government growth,
      > it's also usually the case that the more complex and
      > redundant the government becomes the less capable
      > it is of actually doing anything to oppress us effectively.
          Which leaves: oppressing us INeffectively: i.e. on the
      basis of random bureaucratic whim.
          The problem (if it's a problem) was failure to share
      intelligence among agencies. The obvious solution was
      to eliminate the previous laws that forbade sharing.
          Aside from a new bureaucracy, this bill:
          1. Extended executive discretion to detain and keep
      secret any charges against "lone wolves", rather than
      those associated with "terrorist organizations";
          2. Nationalized the terms and documents for state
      driver's licenses;
          3. Allowed unrestricted cross-referencing of any and
      all state and federal databases for "intelligence" purposes;
          4. Elminated the sunset provisions of the PATRIOT act;
          5. Granted full budget discretion to a Director who is
      not even a member of the cabinet;
          etc., etc.

          But, you're right. It was played up as "necessary"
      upgrades of government discretion and snooping, mainly
      promoted by a small group of "9/11 survivors" with a very
      bad agenda.
          However, it wasn't ignored. The RLC joined many other
      organizations (30) in opposing the most onerous provisions
      of the bill. The legislators opposed made their objections
      clear. The fear mongers and "do anything" advocates won.

      Bill

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Kevin Boyd
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
        May God bless each and every one of these heroes.

        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, westmiller@a... wrote:
        > Final votes yesterday and tonight on the "Intelligence" Bill.
        The