Re: [RLC-Action] FW: Zogby Poll

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
      Jeff Palmer sent this link:

      Ask Someone You Know To Join

      Send someone an email invitation to join the Zogby panel.
      asking them to join our online panel.
      <>Your Name is not required.</>

      As a rule, I don't click on links that I don't first verify, so I went to the Zogby website to check that this is a valid (not spoof) webpage (I'm always suspicious when a link begins with something other than, in this case, "Zogby").

      I am left wondering. Jeff provides ...

      http://interactive.zogby.com/pollregistration/registration/index.cfm?refsite=tell

      But ...

      http://www.zogby.com/index.cfm (click on "Zogby Interactive") links to http://interactive.zogby.com/index.cfm which has a "join now" button that takes you to a different registration page for polls.

      Why are there two different pages? Are there two different polling operations?

      I don't like the unexplained. I thought I'd ask RLC members what they knew of this situation before I went through the effort of contacting Zogby (organizations of that size generally take forever to answer questions). If anyone can provide illumination on this issue, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

      <></>

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
        Your caution may be justified, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't check it out further myself before forwarding the site.  I will say that, sharing your concern for privacy, I found that I was able to register using mostly bogus personal information...  Good news in that it's possible to limit one's exposure should this be a phishing operation; bad news in that it suggests that the probability is higher that this *is* a phishing operation.

        jeff

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
          Well, I don't think it's a phishing expedition, since the Zogby site did take me to the domain link (interactive.zogby.com) you provided. I was concerned at first, but I think I've laid that concern to rest.

          The question remains, however, does Zogby have two polling operations underway? Or, put another way, do the two separate registration links end up registering all respondents in a common poll?

          Since the registration links are different, I can't help thinking there are two divisions pursuing separate missions. But that might just be my hyper-suspicious mind working overtime. My paranoia extends to things like: is one link being made available to certain political affiliations, thus diluting that group's responses by diverting them out of the main poll? I know, I know, Zogby is supposed to be above all that, but, like Sun Tzu and Machiavelli, I just don't trust anybody. However remote, there is the possibility that a link to a rabbit hole could be circulated within certain political circles, and the respondents to the polls would never know their opinions were never being recorded among the "fixed" poll results. If I were a conniving sort of fellow that likes to manipulate populations (psychological warfare), manipulating the polls would be a certainty. I have no reason to doubt that dirty tricks are always in play in American politics.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2006
            > Posted by: "Jeff Palmer" jap@... jap_ncrlc
            > ... the probability is higher that this *is* a phishing operation.

            It's always wise to check the link when you arrive
            at any page requesting personal information. If the
            'Address' in the browser panel isn't correct, don't do
            it. However, the Zogby link you provided is valid.

            http://interactive.zogby.com
            ... indicates that this is a subdomain of the
            primary Zogby site (used to assign to a different
            physical server). It's the same as FL.RLC.org,
            which goes to either a subdirectory or external
            hosting site.
            The subdomain or subdirectory cannot be on
            a phishing site, which uses a 'bluff' prefix or some
            public forwarding site:
            www.badactor.com/zogby/interactive
            www.yahoo.com/redir/?p=www.badactor.com

            The tail-end of a legitimate subdirectory may
            or may not be displayed. For example, going to
            ..../registration/ will automatically execute the
            index file webpage there ... so it's the same as:
            .../registration/index.cfm

            The link Jeff sent included a parameter at
            the end:
            .../registration/index.cfm?refsite=tell
            which simply informs that program that the
            link was issued by their 'Tell A Friend' page.
            This is just internal tracking by Zogby to see
            what type of referrals end up at the registration
            page.
            So, not to worry about the link provided:

            http://interactive.zogby.com/pollregistration/registration/index.cfm

            Bill
          • Ray Holtorf
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2006
              I've been doing this Zogby poll for YEARS. They may be mining for some personal information (they are a polling company - they SELL information!) but it is a legitimate web site. They have been asking me to send stuff out to others, but I hate getting that sort of stuff myself, so I do not forward them. I would be stunned if there was something illegitimate going on.