Re: [RLC-Action] the math of discontent

  • Chaosrider2004@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9 9:30 AM
      This is helpful and interesting, thanks for posting it. More below.

      TCS
      ================================

      In a message dated 7/7/2006 8:59:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, ajnock1976@... writes:

      The premise herein at republitarians, libertarian-republicans, libertarianrepublicans & rlc-action & national groups is that there is a net utility to there being a self-conscious, libertarian caucus in the GOP.

      For those of you all herein who don't agree, pretend you do for the moment.
      ===============================
      I do agree!

      TCS
      ===============================
      The Libertarian party at its recent national convention on the Left coast has gutted its platform and attempted to abolish its Statement of Principles
      ==============================
      This is extraordinarily good news!

      It means the purists are on the wane, which MIGHT give the LP the chance to make a difference.

      TCS
      ==============================
      [what shall the LP's new subname be, The Party of "Blank Out"?]. The Statement survived only because it takes a super-majority to alter or abolish it.
      =============================
      Ahhh...but if some purists bail due to the changes, that super-majority may yet arrive.

      Another good thing.

      TCS
      ============================
      While I think this is further proof of the LP's dying,
      ============================
      This is exactly backwards.

      It's a sign the LP may now have a chance.

      TCS
      ==============================
      as opposed to being merely sick, as an institution, that's not the central point for me herein. My brief digression is this: one doesn't in a country with an evolved two-party system as its political order, vote for a third party to get a spicier version of one of majors.
      =============================
      Again, this is exactly backwards.

      Unless you are more interested in making a statement than in making a difference.

      If you're more interested in making a difference in the right direction, here's the way it works:

      Imagine a Nolan chart.

      Plot the positions of the Dems and Repubs on that chart.

      There is a certain distance between them.

      There is a center to the line between them.

      From that center of the line between them, plot a line that is in the libertarian direction, exactly the same length as the distance between the Ds and Rs.

      THAT'S how far the LP (or the RLC, for that) should position itself in the libertarian direction...AND NO FARTHER.

      Going any farther will NOT work.

      Of course, this realistic, practical approach, with it's focus on progress in the right direction rather than ultimate destinations, is not emotionally statisfying, and hence, is rarely adopted.

      But it's the only thing that will work.

      TCS

      (snip).

      But let's skip over whether this was a good idea or not. I believe 1/3 of the LP will think this is a terrible idea.
      =================================
      And a bunch of people who've LEFT, like me, will think it's a great idea!

      TCS
      =================================
      Also the recent reorganization of the LP viz. its' state parties means the states have real autonomy and secessionary power.
      ===============================
      Hmmm...without the details, it's hard to comment.

      Does this make the LP structure more, or less, like the Ds and Rs?

      TCS
      ==============================
      (snip)

      There is effectively nothing libertarian about the Bush administration [minuscule tax cuts vs. the surveillance state, new regulations, imperial war, the Schiavo fiasco, etc. shows the net balance away from freedom], but none of us are selling Bush as a libertarian.
      I'm certaintly not either.

      TCS
      (snip)
      Please advise on your thoughts concerning the above.
      Be careful what you ask for...

      ;-)

      TCS