selling hope out of discontent

  • Alan Turin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2006
      "Eighty percent of success is just showing up."
      -Woody Allen

      What is to be done? If the LP ceases to be libertarian, or at least 1/3 of the present membership may so conclude, how does the discontent they feel translate into recruitment into "this movement of ours," in particular becoming supporters of our PAC?

      Here I think is something that is straight-forward, honest and readily experienced.

      Our RLC-PAC is like Emily's List [see: http://www.emilyslist.org/] they fund pro-choice women candidates. Our RLC's single largest receipient of funds is Ron Paul who is talismatic among libertarians and conservatives. He truly bridges the right in American politics. But he isn't our only designee.

      What we can sell is victory. A dedicated libertarian who is disgusted with the gutting of the platform is probably a fan of Ron Paul. To suggest a transfer of PART of their time, PART of their donations to actually electing libertarians and libertarian-leaning candidates is selling hope.

      And hope is a nice antidote to discontent.

      Your thoughts are sought as always.

      your most faithful and obedient servant

      Alan Turin

      http://mail.yahoo.com