RE: [RLC-Discuss] LP Convention notes

  • Ray Holtorf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
      The best thing that can happen to libertarianism is
      the downfall of the Libertarian Party. I would be
      absolutely THRILLED if the so-called Constitution
      Party took off and bled off the flaky religious
      zealots from the Republican Party. Don't you think
      most people with political experience know that? The
      LP is the worst thing that ever happened to
      libertarians because it segregated and marginalized
      our philosophy.

      Having seen what happened to the Reform Party from the
      inside out, I know first hand that there are people
      whose mission it is to ensure small government "-ism"
      is marginalized, and religious zealotry is in the
      mainstream - because they are easily manipulated to
      accept big government solutions. I have to believe
      that what is happening to the LP is identical as to
      what happened in the Reform Party. Do not kid
      yourself. There are people on our list who are
      well-funded and positioned to try to ensure that this
      little caucus of ours goes nowhere. There is WAY too
      much money at stake. And it is not the likely suspects
      - the devil does not approach in a red suit with
      horns... too obvious.

      I saw two types of people making this work - people
      whose sole purpose was to destroy the Reform movement,
      and neophytes too naive to know they were being
      manipulated. It really makes me wonder who's side you
      are on Philip...

      Ray Holtorf - Iowa

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@...> wrote:

        > The best thing that can happen to libertarianism is
        > the downfall of the Libertarian Party. I would be
        > absolutely THRILLED if the so-called Constitution
        > Party took off and bled off the flaky religious
        > zealots from the Republican Party. Don't you think
        > most people with political experience know that? The
        > LP is the worst thing that ever happened to
        > libertarians because it segregated and marginalized
        > our philosophy.

        Another thing the Libertarian Party did to libertarianism was to give
        the philosophy a bad name. When you say "libertarian," most people
        think "stoner" or "pothead" because of the LP's major focus on, and
        mishandling of, that very small issue.

        They also have a deliberate anti-traditional values image and
        attitude. When advocating policy, they forget that "just because you
        can, doesn't mean you should."

        That is why I never got involved with the LP.
      • Philip Blumel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
          A quite reasonable point and you were right not to do so. But let's
          take this discussion to RLC-Discuss. RLC-Action is for RLC activism
          ideas and reporting. Thanks. -- Philip Blumel

          --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq@...>