Re: [RLC-Action] Stealthy IRS Rules Change

  • Steve Redlich
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2006
      On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, DGHarrison wrote:

      > Can anyone help me find the e-mail address or telephone number to reach the
      > IRS? I would like to respond to the IRS proposed rule change. Time is of the
      > essence, and I don't know if snail mail will reach the commissioner before
      > action is taken. I am opposed to the government's intrusion into my private
      > life in general, but the IRS financial colonoscopy is particularly offensive.
      > It is one thing to be forced to provide all my information to the government,
      > but now the government wants to allow that information to be sold to
      > third-party marketeers. The stealth with which this rule change arrives and
      > the misnomers under which it appears ("not a significant regulatory action"
      > and "IRS Issues Proposed Regulations to Safeguard Taxpayer Information") have
      > all my senses on alert. Does anyone have more information to suggest that
      > this rule change needs to be opposed (or perhaps supported)? If it should be
      > opposed, can anyone suggest a proper course of action? Is it something that
      > the RLC should interest itself in?
      >
      > I was unable to locate an e-mail address to the IRS commissioner, but I did
      > find his mailing address, as follows:

      Doug,

      As the attached article states, The public hearing is April 4th, so you
      have time to respond. You probably don't want to respond using USPS, due
      to antrax scanning for Washington.

      Go here
      http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main

      Select Internal Revenue Service, and Items open for Comment

      Returns links for
      Procedures for Administrative Review of a Determination That an Authorized
      Recipient Has Failed To Safeguard Tax Returns or Return Information

      Docket ID: IRS-2006-0099

      The Document Is here along with the instructions to comment:

      Send submissions to: CC:PA:LPD:PR (REG-157271-05), Room 5203, Internal
      Revenue Service, P.O. Box 7604, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, DC
      20044. Submissions may be hand-delivered between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4
      p.m. to CC:PA:LPD:PR (REG-157271-05), Courier"s Desk, Internal Revenue
      Service, 1111 Constitution Avenue, NW., Washington, DC, or sent
      electronically, via the IRS Internet site at http://www.irs.gov/regs, or
      via the Federal eRulemaking Portal at http://www.regulations.gov(IRS and
      REG-148864-03).

      Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2006
        Steve,

        Thanks for your most excellent response. I was unaware of http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main until you provided the link. I have already sent the link to hundreds of friends who take an interest in what the government is doing. Given the fact that our elected representatives in Washington, D.C. seem unperturbed by any of our exhortations, this avenue may yet prove even more fruitful in getting our voices heard by government. Indeed, I've been scanning the entries and finding dozens of other issues that demand comment. I'll be rather busy for the next few days. I am also adding the link to our "links" page on our RLCMN YahooGroup. These are valuable tools, and we need to make sure everyone is aware of them.