Re: [RLC-Action] Action Alert on Internet Political Regulations

  • Peter Bearse
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2006
      BILL (& other defenders of 1st Amendment rights):

      I hope this is not a case of too little, too late. We need to be aware of threats to free speech and jump to cut them off at the earliest opportunity. The danger that you point to was apparent in an FEC "Notice of Rulemaking" published in the Federal Register about one year ago, which was followed by public hearings in D.C. in mid June of last year. I was one of 800 who responded to the FEC notice in writing and one of 20 of the 800 invited to provide oral testimony at the June hearings. You can find my written testimony via my website, www.politicalcommunity.us or via the FEC.gov website.

      The Court decision referred to was one passed down by the D.C. District Court, whose only jurisdiction is federal matters in the D.C. area. It was a decision in response to filings by self-styled "McCain-Feingold" reformers who claimed that the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act had left a loophole for bloggers and others to exercise political speech via the Internet.

      Now that you've seen the red flag, be ever wary of what's going on in this area of "reformers" who would regulate political speech on the Internet! The danger will not disappear by helping support one piece of legislation.

      PETER BEARSE, Ph.D., GOP Team Leader, Director of RLC Activism and author of WE, THE PEOPLE: A Conservative Populism (excerpts available via the website noted earlier; book available via the website or Amazon.com).

      westmiller@... wrote:
      The following is from Kent Snyder of The Liberty Committee.
      This bill could have a serious impact on the operation of the
      RLC websites. Please make an effort to contact your local
      representatives.

      Bill Westmiller
      The elites have become afraid of you.  Whether they are in Washington, Moscow, Beijing, Paris or Sydney, the political and media elites are afraid you will eventually know too much and say too much.  Which is why they are determined to control the Internet in whatever ways they can.

      Tomorrow afternoon, the U.S. House will vote on the Online Freedom of Speech Act (H.R. 1606).  We strongly urge a "yes" vote, as do organizations such as Gun Owners of America, National Taxpayers Union, National Right to Life Committee, Family Research Council, National Rifle Association, and American Conservative Union.

      H.R. 1606 is needed because federal courts have ordered the Federal Election Commission to regulate "electioneering communications" on the Internet because of the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act (McCain-Feingold). If H.R. 1606 fails to become law, your Web site or blog could be shut down for the 30 days prior to a primary election and the 60 days prior to a general election should you express "electioneering communications."  And any political e-mail you send during those times supporting or denouncing a candidate could also be disallowed.

      So, grass-roots political activism will be silenced.  But the media elite, such as the New York Times, won't be muzzled because they are exempt as members of the "official press."  They will be allowed to continue writing editorials about various candidates, but you won't have approval from the State to say a word.

      By the way, The New York Times has an editorial today urging a "no" vote on H.R. 1606.

      The vote will be held tomorrow afternoon.  Please urge your U.S. representative to vote "yes" on H.R. 1606.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Yahoo! Mail