Re: [RLC-National] FW: Google Alert - Mark Sanford

  • Steve Redlich
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2006
      Adam,

      Sanford will consider swapping taxes if they are revenue neutral or even
      an overall decrease.

      e.g. http://www.thestate.com/mld/state/news/opinion/13683066.htm

      The governor was mock-concerned about being perceived as a demi-Marxist
      because in his speech, he was actually taking a more pragmatic view of the
      whole tax-and-spend thing. While insisting that if lawmakers swap a sales
      tax increase for a property tax reduction it must be revenue-neutral or
      even an overall decrease, he went on to speak about the need to consider
      other aspects of our overall tax system. In other words, he was to an
      extent embracing our position that tax reform must be comprehensive.

      Please do not crosspost.

      Thanks,
      Steve

      On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Adam J Bernay wrote:

      > Subject: [RLC-National] FW: Google Alert - Mark Sanford
      >
      > Is this the guy we've been talking about ENDORSING FOR PRESIDENT?!?
      >
      > From: Google Alerts [mailto:googlealerts-noreply@...]
      > Subject: Google Alert - Mark Sanford
      >

      > Google Alert for: Mark Sanford
      >
      > Debate <http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/5520888p-4973692c.html>
      > intensifies on issue of increasing cigarette tax
      > Hilton Head Island Packet - Hilton Head Island,SC,USA
      > ... pack. Gov. Mark Sanford, an advocate of a higher cigarette tax, said the
      > reason it hasn't been raised for nearly 30 years is. likely ...
      >
      > _____
      >
      > This as-it-happens Google Alert is brought to you by Google.
      >
      > Remove <http://www.google.com/alerts/remove?s=49e78f5454105ab8&hl=en> this
      > alert.
      > Create <http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en> another alert.
      > Manage <http://www.google.com/alerts/manage?hl=en> your alerts.

    • Adam J Bernay
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2006
        You know, the reaction I'm hearing from people really startles me. I went
        back and reread the article and the comments here... and I'm still very
        concerned, but I'm growing more concerned about the RLC, not just about Gov.
        Sanford:

        1) To the notion that it's a libertarian perspective because "it's a sales
        tax rather than an income tax," I would point out that a tax targeted to
        specific products because of their ill effects is not a sales tax, but a sin
        tax. Funny, I thought we were against taxes that attempted to manipulate
        society based on specific ideas as to which products are healthy and which
        are not... and if you really think this isn't one of those, I suggest you
        are incredibly naïve. Note this quote: "The proposal to hike the cigarette
        tax has sparked support from health advocates who think steeper prices will
        force adults to cut back and discourage kids from getting hooked, as well as
        backlash from cigarette companies and tobacco retailers who have an economic
        interest in keeping prices down."

        2) The state doesn't apparently need more tax revenue; they're running at a
        SURPLUS, for crying out loud! How many states can SAY that? It worries me
        that someone the RLC National Committee has actually approached not only
        endorsing for President but actually attempting to RECRUIT to run for
        president -- and also has endorsed for re-election to his gubernatorial
        office -- is proposing an increase of ANY tax when his state's running a
        surplus. And there have been other news articles recently about Sanford
        embracing bigger government. I think, as an Alternate Member of the RLC
        National Committee, I have good reason to be concerned.

        3) To the notion that this is part of a move to lower other taxes, the
        article simply says, "Sanford said he's generally opposed to raising taxes,
        but a cigarette-tax increase could be offset by a tax decrease elsewhere,
        like property or income tax." It doesn't say that such is a part of this
        proposal or that such a proposal is even on the table. Does ANYONE here
        think that most politicians are going to give up taxes they've already got
        passed just because NEW tax monies are being proposed, without it being a
        direct and MANDATED trade-off?

        4) My final response to the oppositions to my concerns mentioned here is to
        suggest that if Gov. Sanford proposes tax increases, they gain new
        respectability. Read the following, from the article:

        [House Speaker Bobby] Harrell [R-Charleston], who previously opposed raising
        cigarette taxes, said once the House turns its attention to the state
        budget, he expects the cigarette tax to get discussion. But he's unsure if
        the measure would have enough support to pass this year.

        "It's not a simple issue for me," Harrell said. "Raising taxes is the power
        that the General Assembly has to use very carefully. The only reason I'm
        even considering (raising taxes) is if it decreases the likelihood that
        children will start smoking. That's the only merit to this situation that
        requires our attention.

        "The bottom line is, most of our taxes are the lowest in the country -- our
        gas tax, our income tax on seniors ... . We're a state that's generally
        hesitant to tax people."

        This, pure and simple, is a sin tax. And people we endorse as
        wholeheartedly as we've endorsed Gov. Sanford should stand foursquare
        AGAINST such.

        5) And finally, Guy... the reason this didn't get posted to the
        Republitarians list is two-fold: a) This is an issue that directly affects
        the RLC (because we've been so vocal in our support of Gov. Sanford) & thus
        I felt it very important to post it to the RLC lists and b) because I can't
        post to Republitarians from the same e-mail account as I do to the RLC
        lists, and thus I forgot after having sent it to the RLC lists.

        Adam