FWD: Opposition to HR 4157

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
      Medical Privacy Coalition Update 2/7/06
      H.R. 4157, the "Health Information Technology Promotion Act."

      Ostrolenk’s Commentary on H.R. 4157:
      I would encourage all of our MPC partner organizations to oppose H.R. 4157
      as opposed to supporting it as long as viable medical informational privacy
      protections are included. I am reminded of what Davy Crocket said “Remember
      that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big
      enough to take away everything you have.” Constitutional arguments aside ( Bush’
      s Executive Order which calls for the creation of an electronic medical
      records infrastructure in 10 years and all of the companion legislation in support
      of his mandate are not one of the powers enumerated in the Constitution),
      this effort is a major mistake that not only further assaults our medical
      privacy rights but also will have the negative effect of further centralizing
      control of our healthcare system by taking decisions out of the hands of patients
      and their doctors and placing them in the hands of technocrats and
      bureaucrats. I would suggest each and everyone of you send an email with your
      concerns for the bill to Kathleen Weldon on the Health Subcommittee.

      Kathleen.Weldon@... as well as contact Rep. Johnson’s office who
      introduced the bill. We met with E&C staff a few weeks ago and they said
      unless they hear from you (collectively); this bill will pass without question.

      I would like to thank Jim Pyles, American Psychoanalytic Association and Dr.
      Peel, Patient Privacy Rights for their efforts to educate congress on the
      anti-medical privacy rights aspects of the bill.

      Uncle Sam Watch: Big Brother & Your Medical Records by Liz Moser, Town Hall
      http://www.townhall.com/blogs/c-log/LizMoser/story/2006/02/06/185452.html

      AAPS Letter in opposition to H.R. H.R. 4157, the “Health Information
      Technology Promotion Act”.
      http://www.aapsonline.org/confiden/hr4157-letter.php

      Citizens Medical Privacy Rights Petition:
      http://www.patientprivacyrights.org/site/PageServer?pagename=I_Want_My_Medical
      _Privacy_Petition

      The Medical Privacy Coalition is a project of the Liberty Coalition
    • Christopher Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006

        Mr. westmiller:

        This is Christopher Davis, MoRLC Coordinator.
        I am e-mailing to to inform you about the first Missouri RLC Luncheon.
        The Luncheon is Scheduled for March 25th at 2:30pm in Columbia, Mo. at Shakespeare's Pizza.
        Any Support or advice from your end will be deeply appreciated.

        Thank you,
        Christopher Davis, MoRLC State Coordinator

      • Christopher Davis

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
            On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Christopher Davis wrote:

            > I am e-mailing to to inform you about the first Missouri RLC Luncheon.
            > The Luncheon is Scheduled for March 25th at 2:30pm in Columbia, Mo. at Shakespeare's Pizza.
            > Any Support or advice from your end will be deeply appreciated.

            Christopher,

            Please send me the remaining details (street address, contact phone #,
            etc) and I will add it to the Missouri Activities Page on the National
            Website.

            http://www.rlc.org/States/MO/activities.asp

            Thanks,
            Steve Redlich