Re: [RLC-Action] Ron Paul Campaign

  • John Pankratz
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
      I don't know about earlier campaigns, but last time there were no
      opponents, and he was helping other candidates. I take this letter at
      face value.

      john p

      --
      Freedom is not measured by the ability to vote. It is measured by the breath of those things on which we do not vote.
      ..... John T. Wenders http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
        >I don't know about earlier campaigns, but last time there were no
        >opponents, and he was helping other candidates. I take this letter at
        >face value.

        I'm from Texas, but not his district. As I recall this was tried before,
        either last election or the one before and Paul absolutely crushed the
        challenger. But we should still make sure he has the money he needs
        to win again.

        Can we identify anyone who's behind the candidacy of the challenger?
        Perhaps we can make our objections known directly to them.

        Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
        http://www.elitistpig.com
      • Steve Redlich
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
          On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, John Pankratz wrote:

          > Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from the Ron Paul
          > campaign? I mean the one about the Republican machine putting up Cynthia
          > Sinatra to run against him and shooing off all the previously announced
          > local competition?
          >
          > It seems to me that if the RLC has a first priority, it ought to be to
          > save the seat of our national leader and most famous champion of the Cause.
          > It looks like the machine has picked this election to try to crush any
          > organized libertarian tendency left in the Party.

          FYI, Here is some information on this race (and Sinatra) courtesy of
          google.

          http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/front/story/3250803p-3764353c.html

          15 contested Victoria County races in March 7 party primaries
          # Congress, District 14: Four-term incumbent Ron Paul of Surfside Beach
          faces challenger Cynthia Sinatra, a Wharton attorney.

          http://www.politics1.com/tx.htm
          District 14:
          Ron Paul (R)* - (Campaign Site)
          Cynthia Sinatra (R) - Attorney
          Shane Sklar (D) - Rancher & Ex-Congressional Aide
          Eugene Flynn (Libertarian)

          http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/3/20220/54183
          2.Cynthia Sinatra, Lawyer, former Kosovo Defense Attorney, (and former
          wife of Frank Sinatra Jr)

          http://www.jillyswest.com/news.htm
          Frank Sinatra Jr. Getting Divorced
          8/11/00
          (The Associated Press)

          LOS ANGELES (AP) - Frank Sinatra Jr. is divorcing his wife of nearly two
          years, citing irreconcilable differences. The man named for his
          entertainer father filed his divorce petition Thursday.

          Sinatra, 56, married lawyer Cynthia McMurrey, 47, in October 1998 and
          they moved into a $3.5 million, four-acre estate in Beverly Hills several
          months later. The couple, who have no children, separated Jan. 7,
          according to court records.

          Sinatra is a singer in his own right as well as a conductor, arranger and
          pianist who once worked on his father's shows. He now performs with a
          20-piece band that includes some of his father's musicians.

          http://www.offthekuff.com/movable_type/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=6604
          And filing news from the 14th Congressional District:

          Out - Len Waterworth.

          No longer listed on the Texas Republicans site. The odds are in favor of "Tom Reynolds called Len Waterworth and got him to withdraw". Either way, he's not listed no more.

          In - Cynthia McMurrey Sinatra.

          Cynthia, a Houston attorney, has apparently accomplished two notable
          things. First, she unsuccessfully defended Esad Landzo in front of the
          Hague. Second, she married Frank Sinatra, Jr. in 1998. Although
          everything I can find says that Frank and Cynthia separated in 2000.
          Cynthia could stay in the race, and become the first primary challenger
          to Ron Paul since Ron won in 1996.
          Posted by RBH at December 31, 2005 03:29 PM

          http://safety.websoaring.com/item/1469
          Fort Bend GOP Exec. Comm. Meeting Recap

          Huge turnout over at the meeting in Richmond tonight. The crowd was so
          big that it couldn't possibly be all contained in the Jane Long annex
          courtroom, and the festivities were moved over into Judge Culver's
          courtroom in the courthouse instead.

          Of particular interest to me were the drawings for ballot positions, as I
          firmly believe that they can impact the outcome of the race by whole
          percentage points. Below are the results of the important positions, as
          determined by the random drawing of cards (A&M cards no less, thanks to
          our Aggie county chairman.)

          US Congress CD 14 - Ron Paul #1, Sinatra #2 (I was proud to represent Dr.
          Paul, and beat out Sinatra's card to earn Dr. Paul the first position in
          Fort Bend County)

          Steve
        • Tim Condon
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                      Do I get it right, below, that the local Libertarian Party is running a candidate against Ron Paul? What's up with that? Seems like a great way to reduce Rep. Paul's vote so that maybe the Democrat can win in the general election.   ----Tim Condon

          • AULibertarians@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
              The LP continues to be a defeatest, no-compromise political
              party--and so they're running another candidate against Ron
              Paul.  Again.  In some years they do it and in other years
              they don't.

              But, look at the up side: The LP candidate won't get more
              than 1%.

              - AJB

              Sincerely,
              ... Aaron Biterman
              My Homepage: < http://chelm.freeyellow.com/home/ >

              Libertarian Professors:
              http://chelm.freeyellow.com/libprof.html
            • John Pankratz
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                Tim,
                There was another local candidate who dropped out, apparently in
                deference to the Sinatra candidacy. The Republican machine I was
                referring to that I believe had a hand in the Sinatra move is higher up
                than the county level. I suspect the national GOP and White house
                operatives are involved. I have no proof, but I do know that in the
                last race the CD 15 primary local candidate was asked by the White house
                to drop his candidacy in favor of that of their selected candidate. He
                didn't oblige them, and was beaten 2 to 1 by their candidate on which
                they dumped a bunch of money.

                john p

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                  Wouldn't it be ironic if 1% was more than the margin of Democrat victory.
                  ................... The LP has no sense .................

                  john p

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006

                    pankratz@... wrote:
                    >I suspect the national GOP and White house
                    >operatives are
                    involved.

                    I think there is a strong possibility that you are correct.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                      I believe that they are embarrassed being exposed by the likes of this:
                      http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul297.html
                      .......... john p .................

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                        > Do I get it right, below, that the local Libertarian Party
                        >is running a candidate against Ron Paul? What's up with that? Seems
                        >like a great way to reduce Rep. Paul's vote so that maybe the
                        >Democrat can win in the general election. ----Tim Condon

                        Yeah, when I saw that I was quite surprised to see it. The LP in
                        this area usually has more sense than that. I'll mention it to some
                        of the local LP people and see what they know about it.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                          >The LP continues to be a defeatest, no-compromise political
                          >party--and so they're running another candidate against Ron
                          >Paul. Again. In some years they do it and in other years
                          >they don't.
                          >
                          >But, look at the up side: The LP candidate won't get more
                          >than 1%.

                          Against Paul I'd be surprised if he even gets that much. So why
                          bother?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                            From: John Pankratz <pankratz@...>
                            > Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from
                            > the Ron Paul campaign? I mean the one about the Republican
                            > machine putting up Cynthia Sinatra to run against him ...

                            She has filed, producing a primary and general election
                            contest that didn't exist at all in 2004 (Ron was unopposed).

                            District 14:
                            Ron Paul (R)* - (Campaign Site)
                            Cynthia Sinatra (R) - Attorney
                            Shane Sklar (D) - Rancher & Ex-Congressional Aide
                            Eugene Flynn (Libertarian)

                            However, at cursory glance, it doesn't appear that the
                            challenges are substantive. Sinatra (obviously) has a
                            second-hand "name", but no political experience and
                            no indication of any substantive support ... much less
                            a concerted "insider campaign" against Paul.
                            The only thing notable on the web relates to her
                            marriage, divorce, and her work defending a Slovac
                            defendant at the Hague. Presumably, she's an
                            "internationalist", but most of the commentary is
                            blog entries. The only interesting quote:
                            "For the first time, we were going to have a penal
                            system, a set of penal rules, that would be applied
                            to the whole globe." [Snips below]

                            http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/2/164048/4003
                            Actually
                            Cynthia Sinatra's background, from what I found this weekend:
                            She's a Houston-based lawyer. I don't know if she physically resides in the
                            14th district. She doesn't have to reside in the district, but it's helpful.
                            She married Frank Sinatra, Jr. in 1998, and they separated in 2000 (her
                            maiden name is Cynthia McMurrey).
                            She has represented accused war criminals from the Balkans conflict in front
                            of the Hague. At least one of them got convicted.
                            So yes, I'd imagine her positive is "She might have money". Her negatives
                            would probably involve being an attorney. As well, I have no idea what her
                            views are on anything. But the odds are that she might be a more orthodox
                            Republican than Ron Paul.
                            "Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be
                            put right" - Carl Schurz
                            by RBH on Mon Jan 02, 2006 at 03:30:17 PM PDT
                            [ Parent ]
                            I know Cynthia Sinatra
                            And she does in fact reside in this district. She lives in Wharton, Texas.
                            She's fairly high profile around here. I had no idea she was running
                            against Ron Paul, but more power to her. And yes, she seems to have a little
                            money. Guess I'll have to find out a little more about her politics.
                            by sane on Mon Jan 02, 2006 at 05:43:57 PM PDT
                            If Cynthia actually spends some money and hits Paul on his Iraq stance, she
                            could surprise us all.
                            (Ron Paul, for those of you who don't know, opposes pretty much all foreign
                            interventions, including the Iraq War)
                            Defense counsel Michael Karnavas (for Blagojevic), and Cynthia Sinatra and
                            Miodrag Stojanovic (for co-accused Dragan Jokic) repeatedly questioned each
                            witness about Bosnian Muslim military offensives against Serbs from within the
                            enclave. They also frequently suggested that the battalion of Dutch UN troops
                            (Dutch Bat), whose role it was to demilitarize the area and protect
                            civilians, shared some responsibility for facilitating the campaign of ethnic
                            cleansing and massacre.
                            _http://cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewReport&reportID=360&tribunalID=1_
                            (http://cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewReport&reportID=360&tribunalID=1)
                            HILARY BROWN, ABC News: (voice-over) Cynthia Sinatra put her lucrative law
                            practice in Texas on hold to defend an indicted war criminal at The Hague. She
                            wanted to be part of a new era of humanitarian law, to apply international
                            justice to crimes of war.

                            CYNTHIA SINATRA, Defense Attorney: For the first time, we were going to have
                            a penal system, a set of penal rules, that would be applied to the whole
                            globe.

                            HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Sinatra is one of 300 hired legal hands at the
                            first International War Crimes Tribunal since Nuremberg, fifty are from the U.S.
                            They make about $80 an hour, a fraction of their fees at home, but that's
                            not the point.

                            JOHN ACKERMAN, Criminal Lawyer: It's like being a lawyer in the United
                            States 200 years ago must have been -- a whole new system with a chance to make a
                            mark on what the law might be in the future.

                            HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Sinatra represented a Bosnian Muslim, Ensad
                            Landzo, accused of torture and murder. She used the defense of insanity and she
                            changed his image.

                            CYNTHIA SINATRA: I did encourage him to grow his hair out, because I was
                            afraid of him when I saw him the first time.

                            HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) She also gave him clothes cast off by her
                            husband, Frank Sinatra, Jr. Landzo was convicted and the case is now on appeal.

                            The attorneys here point out that accused war criminals get greater justice
                            than ordinary defendants.

                            GRAHAM BLEWITT, Deputy Prosecutor The Hague: It's of primary importance that
                            all accused who are dealt with before these tribunals receive fair trials,
                            so that it can't be said or judged in the future to have been a kangaroo court.

                            HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Over 90 people have been indicted for war crimes
                            in the former Yugoslavia. That now includes the president, Slobodan Milosevic,
                            a man whom Cynthia Sinatra describes as "the ideal client."

                            Hilary Brown, ABC News, London.
                            _http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=justwatch-l&D=0&P=37554&F
                            =P_
                            (http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=justwatch-l&D=0&P=37554&F=P)
                          • greenspj
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                              Here here!!!!

                              This should be priority 1 this year for the RLC!

                              I've sent in $20 and will send another shortly.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2006
                                From: "greenspj" <greenspj@...>
                                > This should be priority 1 this year for the RLC!
                                > I've sent in $20 and will send another shortly.

                                The RLC has always endorsed our former
                                Chairman and urged members to support his
                                re-election ... but law forbids the RLC from
                                financially contributing to his campaign.
                                Members who wish to offer financial support
                                should send contributions to RLCUSA-PAC
                                [same as RLC Address] and designate your
                                candidate preference, rather then sending a
                                check directly to their campaign.