RE: [RLC-Action] Ron Paul Campaign

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
      Agreed that supporting Ron should be among our highest priorities.  I've received the letter and have re-contributed to his campaign.  However, perhaps someone from Texas can offer some insight into the situation down there.  I seem to recall his fundraising letters raising similar alarms before every election.

      Jeff Palmer - jap@...
       * * *
      Quote of the Week:  “
      Let those who would die for the flag on the field of battle give a better proof of their patriotism and a higher glory to their country by promoting fraternity and justice.” — Benjamin Harrison, Inaugural Address, 1889

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
        I don't know about earlier campaigns, but last time there were no
        opponents, and he was helping other candidates. I take this letter at
        face value.

        john p

        --
        Freedom is not measured by the ability to vote. It is measured by the breath of those things on which we do not vote.
        ..... John T. Wenders http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
          >I don't know about earlier campaigns, but last time there were no
          >opponents, and he was helping other candidates. I take this letter at
          >face value.

          I'm from Texas, but not his district. As I recall this was tried before,
          either last election or the one before and Paul absolutely crushed the
          challenger. But we should still make sure he has the money he needs
          to win again.

          Can we identify anyone who's behind the candidacy of the challenger?
          Perhaps we can make our objections known directly to them.

          Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
          http://www.elitistpig.com
        • Steve Redlich
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
            On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, John Pankratz wrote:

            > Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from the Ron Paul
            > campaign? I mean the one about the Republican machine putting up Cynthia
            > Sinatra to run against him and shooing off all the previously announced
            > local competition?
            >
            > It seems to me that if the RLC has a first priority, it ought to be to
            > save the seat of our national leader and most famous champion of the Cause.
            > It looks like the machine has picked this election to try to crush any
            > organized libertarian tendency left in the Party.

            FYI, Here is some information on this race (and Sinatra) courtesy of
            google.

            http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/front/story/3250803p-3764353c.html

            15 contested Victoria County races in March 7 party primaries
            # Congress, District 14: Four-term incumbent Ron Paul of Surfside Beach
            faces challenger Cynthia Sinatra, a Wharton attorney.

            http://www.politics1.com/tx.htm
            District 14:
            Ron Paul (R)* - (Campaign Site)
            Cynthia Sinatra (R) - Attorney
            Shane Sklar (D) - Rancher & Ex-Congressional Aide
            Eugene Flynn (Libertarian)

            http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/3/20220/54183
            2.Cynthia Sinatra, Lawyer, former Kosovo Defense Attorney, (and former
            wife of Frank Sinatra Jr)

            http://www.jillyswest.com/news.htm
            Frank Sinatra Jr. Getting Divorced
            8/11/00
            (The Associated Press)

            LOS ANGELES (AP) - Frank Sinatra Jr. is divorcing his wife of nearly two
            years, citing irreconcilable differences. The man named for his
            entertainer father filed his divorce petition Thursday.

            Sinatra, 56, married lawyer Cynthia McMurrey, 47, in October 1998 and
            they moved into a $3.5 million, four-acre estate in Beverly Hills several
            months later. The couple, who have no children, separated Jan. 7,
            according to court records.

            Sinatra is a singer in his own right as well as a conductor, arranger and
            pianist who once worked on his father's shows. He now performs with a
            20-piece band that includes some of his father's musicians.

            http://www.offthekuff.com/movable_type/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=6604
            And filing news from the 14th Congressional District:

            Out - Len Waterworth.

            No longer listed on the Texas Republicans site. The odds are in favor of "Tom Reynolds called Len Waterworth and got him to withdraw". Either way, he's not listed no more.

            In - Cynthia McMurrey Sinatra.

            Cynthia, a Houston attorney, has apparently accomplished two notable
            things. First, she unsuccessfully defended Esad Landzo in front of the
            Hague. Second, she married Frank Sinatra, Jr. in 1998. Although
            everything I can find says that Frank and Cynthia separated in 2000.
            Cynthia could stay in the race, and become the first primary challenger
            to Ron Paul since Ron won in 1996.
            Posted by RBH at December 31, 2005 03:29 PM

            http://safety.websoaring.com/item/1469
            Fort Bend GOP Exec. Comm. Meeting Recap

            Huge turnout over at the meeting in Richmond tonight. The crowd was so
            big that it couldn't possibly be all contained in the Jane Long annex
            courtroom, and the festivities were moved over into Judge Culver's
            courtroom in the courthouse instead.

            Of particular interest to me were the drawings for ballot positions, as I
            firmly believe that they can impact the outcome of the race by whole
            percentage points. Below are the results of the important positions, as
            determined by the random drawing of cards (A&M cards no less, thanks to
            our Aggie county chairman.)

            US Congress CD 14 - Ron Paul #1, Sinatra #2 (I was proud to represent Dr.
            Paul, and beat out Sinatra's card to earn Dr. Paul the first position in
            Fort Bend County)

            Steve
          • Tim Condon
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                        Do I get it right, below, that the local Libertarian Party is running a candidate against Ron Paul? What's up with that? Seems like a great way to reduce Rep. Paul's vote so that maybe the Democrat can win in the general election.   ----Tim Condon

            • AULibertarians@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                The LP continues to be a defeatest, no-compromise political
                party--and so they're running another candidate against Ron
                Paul.  Again.  In some years they do it and in other years
                they don't.

                But, look at the up side: The LP candidate won't get more
                than 1%.

                - AJB

                Sincerely,
                ... Aaron Biterman
                My Homepage: < http://chelm.freeyellow.com/home/ >

                Libertarian Professors:
                http://chelm.freeyellow.com/libprof.html
              • John Pankratz
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                  Tim,
                  There was another local candidate who dropped out, apparently in
                  deference to the Sinatra candidacy. The Republican machine I was
                  referring to that I believe had a hand in the Sinatra move is higher up
                  than the county level. I suspect the national GOP and White house
                  operatives are involved. I have no proof, but I do know that in the
                  last race the CD 15 primary local candidate was asked by the White house
                  to drop his candidacy in favor of that of their selected candidate. He
                  didn't oblige them, and was beaten 2 to 1 by their candidate on which
                  they dumped a bunch of money.

                  john p

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                    Wouldn't it be ironic if 1% was more than the margin of Democrat victory.
                    ................... The LP has no sense .................

                    john p

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006

                      pankratz@... wrote:
                      >I suspect the national GOP and White house
                      >operatives are
                      involved.

                      I think there is a strong possibility that you are correct.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                        I believe that they are embarrassed being exposed by the likes of this:
                        http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul297.html
                        .......... john p .................

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                          > Do I get it right, below, that the local Libertarian Party
                          >is running a candidate against Ron Paul? What's up with that? Seems
                          >like a great way to reduce Rep. Paul's vote so that maybe the
                          >Democrat can win in the general election. ----Tim Condon

                          Yeah, when I saw that I was quite surprised to see it. The LP in
                          this area usually has more sense than that. I'll mention it to some
                          of the local LP people and see what they know about it.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                            >The LP continues to be a defeatest, no-compromise political
                            >party--and so they're running another candidate against Ron
                            >Paul. Again. In some years they do it and in other years
                            >they don't.
                            >
                            >But, look at the up side: The LP candidate won't get more
                            >than 1%.

                            Against Paul I'd be surprised if he even gets that much. So why
                            bother?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                              From: John Pankratz <pankratz@...>
                              > Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from
                              > the Ron Paul campaign? I mean the one about the Republican
                              > machine putting up Cynthia Sinatra to run against him ...

                              She has filed, producing a primary and general election
                              contest that didn't exist at all in 2004 (Ron was unopposed).

                              District 14:
                              Ron Paul (R)* - (Campaign Site)
                              Cynthia Sinatra (R) - Attorney
                              Shane Sklar (D) - Rancher & Ex-Congressional Aide
                              Eugene Flynn (Libertarian)

                              However, at cursory glance, it doesn't appear that the
                              challenges are substantive. Sinatra (obviously) has a
                              second-hand "name", but no political experience and
                              no indication of any substantive support ... much less
                              a concerted "insider campaign" against Paul.
                              The only thing notable on the web relates to her
                              marriage, divorce, and her work defending a Slovac
                              defendant at the Hague. Presumably, she's an
                              "internationalist", but most of the commentary is
                              blog entries. The only interesting quote:
                              "For the first time, we were going to have a penal
                              system, a set of penal rules, that would be applied
                              to the whole globe." [Snips below]

                              http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/2/164048/4003
                              Actually
                              Cynthia Sinatra's background, from what I found this weekend:
                              She's a Houston-based lawyer. I don't know if she physically resides in the
                              14th district. She doesn't have to reside in the district, but it's helpful.
                              She married Frank Sinatra, Jr. in 1998, and they separated in 2000 (her
                              maiden name is Cynthia McMurrey).
                              She has represented accused war criminals from the Balkans conflict in front
                              of the Hague. At least one of them got convicted.
                              So yes, I'd imagine her positive is "She might have money". Her negatives
                              would probably involve being an attorney. As well, I have no idea what her
                              views are on anything. But the odds are that she might be a more orthodox
                              Republican than Ron Paul.
                              "Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be
                              put right" - Carl Schurz
                              by RBH on Mon Jan 02, 2006 at 03:30:17 PM PDT
                              [ Parent ]
                              I know Cynthia Sinatra
                              And she does in fact reside in this district. She lives in Wharton, Texas.
                              She's fairly high profile around here. I had no idea she was running
                              against Ron Paul, but more power to her. And yes, she seems to have a little
                              money. Guess I'll have to find out a little more about her politics.
                              by sane on Mon Jan 02, 2006 at 05:43:57 PM PDT
                              If Cynthia actually spends some money and hits Paul on his Iraq stance, she
                              could surprise us all.
                              (Ron Paul, for those of you who don't know, opposes pretty much all foreign
                              interventions, including the Iraq War)
                              Defense counsel Michael Karnavas (for Blagojevic), and Cynthia Sinatra and
                              Miodrag Stojanovic (for co-accused Dragan Jokic) repeatedly questioned each
                              witness about Bosnian Muslim military offensives against Serbs from within the
                              enclave. They also frequently suggested that the battalion of Dutch UN troops
                              (Dutch Bat), whose role it was to demilitarize the area and protect
                              civilians, shared some responsibility for facilitating the campaign of ethnic
                              cleansing and massacre.
                              _http://cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewReport&reportID=360&tribunalID=1_
                              (http://cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewReport&reportID=360&tribunalID=1)
                              HILARY BROWN, ABC News: (voice-over) Cynthia Sinatra put her lucrative law
                              practice in Texas on hold to defend an indicted war criminal at The Hague. She
                              wanted to be part of a new era of humanitarian law, to apply international
                              justice to crimes of war.

                              CYNTHIA SINATRA, Defense Attorney: For the first time, we were going to have
                              a penal system, a set of penal rules, that would be applied to the whole
                              globe.

                              HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Sinatra is one of 300 hired legal hands at the
                              first International War Crimes Tribunal since Nuremberg, fifty are from the U.S.
                              They make about $80 an hour, a fraction of their fees at home, but that's
                              not the point.

                              JOHN ACKERMAN, Criminal Lawyer: It's like being a lawyer in the United
                              States 200 years ago must have been -- a whole new system with a chance to make a
                              mark on what the law might be in the future.

                              HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Sinatra represented a Bosnian Muslim, Ensad
                              Landzo, accused of torture and murder. She used the defense of insanity and she
                              changed his image.

                              CYNTHIA SINATRA: I did encourage him to grow his hair out, because I was
                              afraid of him when I saw him the first time.

                              HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) She also gave him clothes cast off by her
                              husband, Frank Sinatra, Jr. Landzo was convicted and the case is now on appeal.

                              The attorneys here point out that accused war criminals get greater justice
                              than ordinary defendants.

                              GRAHAM BLEWITT, Deputy Prosecutor The Hague: It's of primary importance that
                              all accused who are dealt with before these tribunals receive fair trials,
                              so that it can't be said or judged in the future to have been a kangaroo court.

                              HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Over 90 people have been indicted for war crimes
                              in the former Yugoslavia. That now includes the president, Slobodan Milosevic,
                              a man whom Cynthia Sinatra describes as "the ideal client."

                              Hilary Brown, ABC News, London.
                              _http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=justwatch-l&D=0&P=37554&F
                              =P_
                              (http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=justwatch-l&D=0&P=37554&F=P)
                            • greenspj
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                                Here here!!!!

                                This should be priority 1 this year for the RLC!

                                I've sent in $20 and will send another shortly.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2006
                                  From: "greenspj" <greenspj@...>
                                  > This should be priority 1 this year for the RLC!
                                  > I've sent in $20 and will send another shortly.

                                  The RLC has always endorsed our former
                                  Chairman and urged members to support his
                                  re-election ... but law forbids the RLC from
                                  financially contributing to his campaign.
                                  Members who wish to offer financial support
                                  should send contributions to RLCUSA-PAC
                                  [same as RLC Address] and designate your
                                  candidate preference, rather then sending a
                                  check directly to their campaign.