Ron Paul Campaign

  • John Pankratz
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
      Dearly beloved,

      Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from the Ron Paul
      campaign? I mean the one about the Republican machine putting up Cynthia
      Sinatra to run against him and shooing off all the previously announced
      local competition?

      It seems to me that if the RLC has a first priority, it ought to be to
      save the seat of our national leader and most famous champion of the Cause.
      It looks like the machine has picked this election to try to crush any
      organized libertarian tendency left in the Party.

      If you haven't gotten the letter, and don't get one soon, you should
      contact Ron's campaign, and help him all you can. Ask for a copy of the
      letter. This is a merciless power play move and in my opinion has all
      the marks of coming from the top echelon of the Party. It takes real
      courage to face up to that level of guile. Do we have it?

      Please note, I am not connected with the campaign except as a
      contributor. This post is a private communication with the members of
      this list and is in no sense any part of the Ron Paul campaign. They
      don't know I'm writing it, they didn't ask me to write it, and I didn't
      talk to them about it.

      You will find the campaign website here:
      http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/

      --
      Freedom is not measured by the ability to vote. It is measured by the breath of those things on which we do not vote.
      ..... John T. Wenders http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
        Message
        Agreed that supporting Ron should be among our highest priorities.  I've received the letter and have re-contributed to his campaign.  However, perhaps someone from Texas can offer some insight into the situation down there.  I seem to recall his fundraising letters raising similar alarms before every election.

        Jeff Palmer - jap@...
         * * *
        Quote of the Week:  “
        Let those who would die for the flag on the field of battle give a better proof of their patriotism and a higher glory to their country by promoting fraternity and justice.” — Benjamin Harrison, Inaugural Address, 1889

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
          I don't know about earlier campaigns, but last time there were no
          opponents, and he was helping other candidates. I take this letter at
          face value.

          john p

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2006
            >I don't know about earlier campaigns, but last time there were no
            >opponents, and he was helping other candidates. I take this letter at
            >face value.

            I'm from Texas, but not his district. As I recall this was tried before,
            either last election or the one before and Paul absolutely crushed the
            challenger. But we should still make sure he has the money he needs
            to win again.

            Can we identify anyone who's behind the candidacy of the challenger?
            Perhaps we can make our objections known directly to them.

            Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
            http://www.elitistpig.com
          • Steve Redlich
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
              On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, John Pankratz wrote:

              > Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from the Ron Paul
              > campaign? I mean the one about the Republican machine putting up Cynthia
              > Sinatra to run against him and shooing off all the previously announced
              > local competition?
              >
              > It seems to me that if the RLC has a first priority, it ought to be to
              > save the seat of our national leader and most famous champion of the Cause.
              > It looks like the machine has picked this election to try to crush any
              > organized libertarian tendency left in the Party.

              FYI, Here is some information on this race (and Sinatra) courtesy of
              google.

              http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/front/story/3250803p-3764353c.html

              15 contested Victoria County races in March 7 party primaries
              # Congress, District 14: Four-term incumbent Ron Paul of Surfside Beach
              faces challenger Cynthia Sinatra, a Wharton attorney.

              http://www.politics1.com/tx.htm
              District 14:
              Ron Paul (R)* - (Campaign Site)
              Cynthia Sinatra (R) - Attorney
              Shane Sklar (D) - Rancher & Ex-Congressional Aide
              Eugene Flynn (Libertarian)

              http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/3/20220/54183
              2.Cynthia Sinatra, Lawyer, former Kosovo Defense Attorney, (and former
              wife of Frank Sinatra Jr)

              http://www.jillyswest.com/news.htm
              Frank Sinatra Jr. Getting Divorced
              8/11/00
              (The Associated Press)

              LOS ANGELES (AP) - Frank Sinatra Jr. is divorcing his wife of nearly two
              years, citing irreconcilable differences. The man named for his
              entertainer father filed his divorce petition Thursday.

              Sinatra, 56, married lawyer Cynthia McMurrey, 47, in October 1998 and
              they moved into a $3.5 million, four-acre estate in Beverly Hills several
              months later. The couple, who have no children, separated Jan. 7,
              according to court records.

              Sinatra is a singer in his own right as well as a conductor, arranger and
              pianist who once worked on his father's shows. He now performs with a
              20-piece band that includes some of his father's musicians.

              http://www.offthekuff.com/movable_type/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=6604
              And filing news from the 14th Congressional District:

              Out - Len Waterworth.

              No longer listed on the Texas Republicans site. The odds are in favor of "Tom Reynolds called Len Waterworth and got him to withdraw". Either way, he's not listed no more.

              In - Cynthia McMurrey Sinatra.

              Cynthia, a Houston attorney, has apparently accomplished two notable
              things. First, she unsuccessfully defended Esad Landzo in front of the
              Hague. Second, she married Frank Sinatra, Jr. in 1998. Although
              everything I can find says that Frank and Cynthia separated in 2000.
              Cynthia could stay in the race, and become the first primary challenger
              to Ron Paul since Ron won in 1996.
              Posted by RBH at December 31, 2005 03:29 PM

              http://safety.websoaring.com/item/1469
              Fort Bend GOP Exec. Comm. Meeting Recap

              Huge turnout over at the meeting in Richmond tonight. The crowd was so
              big that it couldn't possibly be all contained in the Jane Long annex
              courtroom, and the festivities were moved over into Judge Culver's
              courtroom in the courthouse instead.

              Of particular interest to me were the drawings for ballot positions, as I
              firmly believe that they can impact the outcome of the race by whole
              percentage points. Below are the results of the important positions, as
              determined by the random drawing of cards (A&M cards no less, thanks to
              our Aggie county chairman.)

              US Congress CD 14 - Ron Paul #1, Sinatra #2 (I was proud to represent Dr.
              Paul, and beat out Sinatra's card to earn Dr. Paul the first position in
              Fort Bend County)

              Steve
            • Tim Condon
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                          Do I get it right, below, that the local Libertarian Party is running a candidate against Ron Paul? What's up with that? Seems like a great way to reduce Rep. Paul's vote so that maybe the Democrat can win in the general election.   ----Tim Condon

              • AULibertarians@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                  The LP continues to be a defeatest, no-compromise political
                  party--and so they're running another candidate against Ron
                  Paul.  Again.  In some years they do it and in other years
                  they don't.

                  But, look at the up side: The LP candidate won't get more
                  than 1%.

                  - AJB

                  Sincerely,
                  ... Aaron Biterman
                  My Homepage: < http://chelm.freeyellow.com/home/ >

                  Libertarian Professors:
                  http://chelm.freeyellow.com/libprof.html
                • John Pankratz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                    Tim,
                    There was another local candidate who dropped out, apparently in
                    deference to the Sinatra candidacy. The Republican machine I was
                    referring to that I believe had a hand in the Sinatra move is higher up
                    than the county level. I suspect the national GOP and White house
                    operatives are involved. I have no proof, but I do know that in the
                    last race the CD 15 primary local candidate was asked by the White house
                    to drop his candidacy in favor of that of their selected candidate. He
                    didn't oblige them, and was beaten 2 to 1 by their candidate on which
                    they dumped a bunch of money.

                    john p

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                      Wouldn't it be ironic if 1% was more than the margin of Democrat victory.
                      ................... The LP has no sense .................

                      john p

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006

                        pankratz@... wrote:
                        >I suspect the national GOP and White house
                        >operatives are
                        involved.

                        I think there is a strong possibility that you are correct.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                          I believe that they are embarrassed being exposed by the likes of this:
                          http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul297.html
                          .......... john p .................

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                            > Do I get it right, below, that the local Libertarian Party
                            >is running a candidate against Ron Paul? What's up with that? Seems
                            >like a great way to reduce Rep. Paul's vote so that maybe the
                            >Democrat can win in the general election. ----Tim Condon

                            Yeah, when I saw that I was quite surprised to see it. The LP in
                            this area usually has more sense than that. I'll mention it to some
                            of the local LP people and see what they know about it.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                              >The LP continues to be a defeatest, no-compromise political
                              >party--and so they're running another candidate against Ron
                              >Paul. Again. In some years they do it and in other years
                              >they don't.
                              >
                              >But, look at the up side: The LP candidate won't get more
                              >than 1%.

                              Against Paul I'd be surprised if he even gets that much. So why
                              bother?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                                From: John Pankratz <pankratz@...>
                                > Have any of the rest of you received the S.O.S. letter from
                                > the Ron Paul campaign? I mean the one about the Republican
                                > machine putting up Cynthia Sinatra to run against him ...

                                She has filed, producing a primary and general election
                                contest that didn't exist at all in 2004 (Ron was unopposed).

                                District 14:
                                Ron Paul (R)* - (Campaign Site)
                                Cynthia Sinatra (R) - Attorney
                                Shane Sklar (D) - Rancher & Ex-Congressional Aide
                                Eugene Flynn (Libertarian)

                                However, at cursory glance, it doesn't appear that the
                                challenges are substantive. Sinatra (obviously) has a
                                second-hand "name", but no political experience and
                                no indication of any substantive support ... much less
                                a concerted "insider campaign" against Paul.
                                The only thing notable on the web relates to her
                                marriage, divorce, and her work defending a Slovac
                                defendant at the Hague. Presumably, she's an
                                "internationalist", but most of the commentary is
                                blog entries. The only interesting quote:
                                "For the first time, we were going to have a penal
                                system, a set of penal rules, that would be applied
                                to the whole globe." [Snips below]

                                http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/2/164048/4003
                                Actually
                                Cynthia Sinatra's background, from what I found this weekend:
                                She's a Houston-based lawyer. I don't know if she physically resides in the
                                14th district. She doesn't have to reside in the district, but it's helpful.
                                She married Frank Sinatra, Jr. in 1998, and they separated in 2000 (her
                                maiden name is Cynthia McMurrey).
                                She has represented accused war criminals from the Balkans conflict in front
                                of the Hague. At least one of them got convicted.
                                So yes, I'd imagine her positive is "She might have money". Her negatives
                                would probably involve being an attorney. As well, I have no idea what her
                                views are on anything. But the odds are that she might be a more orthodox
                                Republican than Ron Paul.
                                "Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be
                                put right" - Carl Schurz
                                by RBH on Mon Jan 02, 2006 at 03:30:17 PM PDT
                                [ Parent ]
                                I know Cynthia Sinatra
                                And she does in fact reside in this district. She lives in Wharton, Texas.
                                She's fairly high profile around here. I had no idea she was running
                                against Ron Paul, but more power to her. And yes, she seems to have a little
                                money. Guess I'll have to find out a little more about her politics.
                                by sane on Mon Jan 02, 2006 at 05:43:57 PM PDT
                                If Cynthia actually spends some money and hits Paul on his Iraq stance, she
                                could surprise us all.
                                (Ron Paul, for those of you who don't know, opposes pretty much all foreign
                                interventions, including the Iraq War)
                                Defense counsel Michael Karnavas (for Blagojevic), and Cynthia Sinatra and
                                Miodrag Stojanovic (for co-accused Dragan Jokic) repeatedly questioned each
                                witness about Bosnian Muslim military offensives against Serbs from within the
                                enclave. They also frequently suggested that the battalion of Dutch UN troops
                                (Dutch Bat), whose role it was to demilitarize the area and protect
                                civilians, shared some responsibility for facilitating the campaign of ethnic
                                cleansing and massacre.
                                _http://cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewReport&reportID=360&tribunalID=1_
                                (http://cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewReport&reportID=360&tribunalID=1)
                                HILARY BROWN, ABC News: (voice-over) Cynthia Sinatra put her lucrative law
                                practice in Texas on hold to defend an indicted war criminal at The Hague. She
                                wanted to be part of a new era of humanitarian law, to apply international
                                justice to crimes of war.

                                CYNTHIA SINATRA, Defense Attorney: For the first time, we were going to have
                                a penal system, a set of penal rules, that would be applied to the whole
                                globe.

                                HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Sinatra is one of 300 hired legal hands at the
                                first International War Crimes Tribunal since Nuremberg, fifty are from the U.S.
                                They make about $80 an hour, a fraction of their fees at home, but that's
                                not the point.

                                JOHN ACKERMAN, Criminal Lawyer: It's like being a lawyer in the United
                                States 200 years ago must have been -- a whole new system with a chance to make a
                                mark on what the law might be in the future.

                                HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Sinatra represented a Bosnian Muslim, Ensad
                                Landzo, accused of torture and murder. She used the defense of insanity and she
                                changed his image.

                                CYNTHIA SINATRA: I did encourage him to grow his hair out, because I was
                                afraid of him when I saw him the first time.

                                HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) She also gave him clothes cast off by her
                                husband, Frank Sinatra, Jr. Landzo was convicted and the case is now on appeal.

                                The attorneys here point out that accused war criminals get greater justice
                                than ordinary defendants.

                                GRAHAM BLEWITT, Deputy Prosecutor The Hague: It's of primary importance that
                                all accused who are dealt with before these tribunals receive fair trials,
                                so that it can't be said or judged in the future to have been a kangaroo court.

                                HILARY BROWN: (voice-over) Over 90 people have been indicted for war crimes
                                in the former Yugoslavia. That now includes the president, Slobodan Milosevic,
                                a man whom Cynthia Sinatra describes as "the ideal client."

                                Hilary Brown, ABC News, London.
                                _http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=justwatch-l&D=0&P=37554&F
                                =P_
                                (http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909&L=justwatch-l&D=0&P=37554&F=P)
                              • greenspj
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                                  Here here!!!!

                                  This should be priority 1 this year for the RLC!

                                  I've sent in $20 and will send another shortly.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 17, 2006
                                    From: "greenspj" <greenspj@...>
                                    > This should be priority 1 this year for the RLC!
                                    > I've sent in $20 and will send another shortly.

                                    The RLC has always endorsed our former
                                    Chairman and urged members to support his
                                    re-election ... but law forbids the RLC from
                                    financially contributing to his campaign.
                                    Members who wish to offer financial support
                                    should send contributions to RLCUSA-PAC
                                    [same as RLC Address] and designate your
                                    candidate preference, rather then sending a
                                    check directly to their campaign.