RLC Growth Plan - Shadegg Support

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
      From: Chaosrider2004@...
      > The only sensible way to measure progress ...

      That assumes that measuring is more important
      than doing. I've got a list of 100 RLC projects, but
      I've had only one person on this eGroup offer to
      assist. You can't hold volunteers "accountable",
      particularly when there are no volunteers.

      > Is there a strategic plan?

      The purpose dictates the strategy. The RLC
      purpose is clear, the methods are fairly evident,
      and tactics depend on the talent and interests
      of members.
      The GOP Activism booklet is one project
      that specifically addresses one of the RLC's
      basic purposes. How many subscribers here
      have taken the time to download and review
      the draft? One: Thanks Doug!

      Another is candidate review. I've spent the
      past four days compiling a database of all the
      past and future, potential candidates the RLC
      might endorse. If anyone would like to help,
      by looking up contact info and references, that
      would be useful.

      From: Dave Nalle <dave@...>
      > ... I find it hard to believe that we can't find a
      > better candidate to support. He's got awful
      > stances on a wide variety of issues.

      Shadegg was very highly rated in our Liberty
      Index for many years, but has slipped into the
      'Conservative' column recently:
      _http://www.republicanliberty.org/libdex/cg_legis.asp?key=shj01_
      (http://www.republicanliberty.org/libdex/cg_legis.asp?key=shj01)

      You can also lookup Blunt and Boehner, who
      have had similar inclinations. Nevertheless, Shadegg
      agreed to join our Advisory Board and has expressed
      support for many RLC positions and principles.

      > ... But surely we can do better.

      If Ron Paul or Jeff Flake were credible leadership
      candidates. Making them so - in the future - is one
      of the purposes of the RLC.

      > ... Shadegg's the best of them by a whisker, but is
      > that good enough for an endorsement?

      For a leadership post, it is primarily an issue of
      perception and direction. Shadegg wants to rattle
      some cages on issues that interest us, the others
      are "get along, go along" wafflers.
      Also note that a "letter of support", rather than
      none, gives us visibility with representatives and
      the media. It also allows us to state any reservations
      we have about Shadegg's record.

      Endorsing Shadegg for re-election to his seat
      is a different matter: we want to focus only on the
      *best* candidates and he may not make break.

      Bill
    • Chaosrider2004@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
        Hmmm...this is not encouraging.

        More below.

        TCS

        From: Chaosrider2004@...
        > The only sensible way to measure  progress ...

            That assumes that measuring is more important
        than doing.
        ==================================
        If you can't measure, you don't know that you HAVE done anything. Putting in effort is not the same as getting something done.

        TCS
        =================================
        I've got a list of 100 RLC projects, but
        I've had only one person on this eGroup offer to
        assist. You can't hold volunteers "accountable",
        particularly when there are no volunteers.
        ==============================
        Sounds to me like organizational development needs to be Priority 1.

        TCS
        ===============================
        > Is there a strategic plan?

            The purpose dictates the strategy. The RLC
        purpose is clear, the methods are fairly evident,
        and tactics depend on the talent and interests
        of members.
        ===============================
        Uhhh...that's a "no"...bummer...

        TCS
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
          Great!  I'll look forward to *your* help with those 100 RLC projects.  The next "organizational development" teleconference is February 13th.

          Jeff Palmer - jap@...
           * * *
          Quote of the Week:  “So this is how freedom dies:  To thunderous applause.” -- Padmé (Natalie Portman), Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith, 2005

          > The only sensible way to measure  progress ...

              That assumes that measuring is more important than doing.
          ==================================
          If you can't measure, you don't know that you HAVE done anything. Putting in effort is not the same as getting something done.

          TCS
          =================================
          I've got a list of 100 RLC projects, but I've had only one person on this eGroup offer to
          assist. You can't hold volunteers "accountable", particularly when there are no volunteers.
          ==============================
          Sounds to me like organizational development needs to be Priority 1.

          TCS
          ===============================
          > Is there a strategic plan?

              The purpose dictates the strategy. The RLC purpose is clear, the methods are fairly evident,
          and tactics depend on the talent and interests of members.

        • John Pankratz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
            Somebody wrote, was it Jeff?

            "I've got a list of 100 RLC projects,
            but I've had only one person on this
            eGroup offer to assist. You can't hold
            volunteers "accountable", particularly
            when there are no volunteers."

            I'm interested in that list. Who drew it up? Has it been prioritized?
            Does it hang together within the framework of an overall strategy?
            Is the list available?

            --
            Freedom is not measured by the ability to vote. It is measured by the breath of those things on which we do not vote.
            ..... John T. Wenders http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~jwenders/
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
              In a message dated 1/14/2006 6:19:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, jap@... writes:
              Great!  I'll look forward to *your* help with those 100 RLC projects.
              ==================================
              Well, you won't get it.

              Action without a plan is just Brownian Motion.

              If you want to do some serious strategic planning, that I can help with!

              ;-)

              TCS
              ==================================
              The next "organizational development" teleconference is February 13th.
              ==================================
              Really?

              What time?

              What's the call in number?

              And, most importantly, why do you put organizational development in quotes, perhaps suggesting that that's not a term with a well defined meaning?

              TCS

              Jeff Palmer - jap@...
               * * *

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006

                class=656540501-15012006>Great!  I'll look forward to *your* help with those 100 RLC projects.
                >Well, you won't get it.
                class=171133022-15012006>..
                If you want to do some serious strategic planning, that I can help with!

                You've made my point.  You know what they say about, "Too many chiefs".  [When challenging folks to back up words with action, I don't mean to be confrontational or judgmental (I know that time is extremely limited for *all* of us) but, as is the case with most every volunteer organization, it's frustrating when ideas are offered more freely than effort.]

                > Is there a strategic plan?

                In a word, YES!  Strategic plans are discussed routinely in our teleconferences and leadership eGroups.  For starters...

                A.  Increase Membership (Top Priority)

                    1.  Conduct WSPQ membership outreach tables at every cost effective opportunity.  (I'm doing one later this month here in North Carolina and have assisted Phil in preparing for one the Florida RLC is doing this weekend.  No doubt, you've seen our automated monthly e-posting imploring such activity by *all* of our states in the e-mail entitled "building_a_state_rlc_organization" and no doubt you've seen my periodic offering of graphics files for the RLC WSPQ chart.)

                    2.  Membership appeals to mailing lists of allied organizations  (Ongoing)

                    3.  "Free Talk Live" Radio Advertisement  (Imminent)

                    4.  Website Upgrade  (An enabling objective for Membership Development in that a professional first impression helps attract new members.)

                    5.  Newsletter & e-Newsletter  (Ditto)

                    6.  Raise RLC visibility through participation in coalition efforts with allied organizations  (Ongoing)

                    7.  Membership Renewal Mailings

                B.  Chapter Development  (See "building_a_state_rlc_organization" at www.rlc.org.)

                C.  Campaign Support

                    1.  Candidate Research & Endorsements
                    2.  Solicited Contributions
                    3.  PAC Contributions
                    4.  Volunteer Support

                D.  Liberty Index

                E.  Major Donor Fund-Raising

                F.  Advisory Board Cultivation

                G.  Website Promotion  (We've been as high as *third* in a Google search for the keyword "Republican".)

                H.  Maintain RLC eGroups

                I.  National RLC Conference/Retreat Planning

                And then, of course, there are the parallel and additional state-level activities of our various chapters.  Anything strike your [plural] fancy?  For further specifics, perhaps Bill will [re-]submit to the e-groups details about the list of "100 RLC projects" he mentioned in a renewed appeal for volunteers.

                > If you can't measure, you don't know
                that you HAVE done anything. Putting in effort is not the same as getting something done.

                We, *indeed*, measure our progress.  Monthly membership numbers are tracked state-by-state as well as ad-by-ad or event-by-event.  No doubt, you've seen our postings of state-by-state membership increases and the updates on the fabled Florida vs. New Hampshire membership growth challenge.  Quantitative measurements of monies raised, monies contributed to candidates, or conference attendance are similarly available.  Results have been moving in an encouraging direction; still, what we need is *more* progress and for that, what we need is more volunteers.

                >> The next
                "organizational development" teleconference is February 13th.
                >... And, most importantly,
                why do you put organizational development in quotes, perhaps suggesting that that's not a term with a well defined meaning?

                I was referring to our monthly board meeting teleconference at which organizational development is discussed *routinely*.  If you're not on the board nor otherwise on the distribution list for meeting notifications as a state representative but would like to contribute, I suggest you contact Bill.  Positive contributions are *more* than welcome.

                Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                 * * *
                Quote of the Week:  “Let those who would die for the flag on the field of battle give a better proof of their patriotism and a higher glory to their country by promoting fraternity and justice.” — Benjamin Harrison, Inaugural Address, 1889

              • Chaosrider2004@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
                  In a message dated 1/15/2006 5:44:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, jap@... writes:
                  >>Great!  I'll look forward to *your* help with those 100 RLC projects.
                  >Well, you won't get it... If you want to do some serious strategic planning, that I can help with!

                  You've made my point.
                  ==============================
                  If you think so, that's part of the problem...but we'll get to that!

                  ;-)

                  TCS
                    You know what they say about, "Too many chiefs".
                  The hard fact is, the answer to my question about a strategic plans shows that there aren't enough chiefs...or at least, sufficiently experienced chiefs.

                  And, in any case, I'm not interested in being a chief...more like a consultant!

                  Seriously, action without a clear plan in place is a waste of time.

                  Worse.

                  It can be counter productive, because it can give the ILLUSION of progress (action without focus can do that), when in fact, nothing useful is happening. I don't know that that's the case here, but without a plan and measurement...there's NO WAY TO KNOW

                  TCS
                  =========================================.
                   [When challenging folks to back up words with action, I don't mean to be confrontational or judgmental (I know that time is extremely limited for *all* of us) but, as is the case with most every volunteer organization, it's frustrating when ideas are offered more freely than effort.]
                  =======================================
                  Effort in the absence of a clear plan is wasted. See above.

                  TCS
                  =====================================
                  > Is there a strategic plan?

                  In a word, YES!  Strategic plans are discussed routinely in our teleconferences and leadership eGroups.  For starters...
                  =====================================
                  This is a list of tasks. That's not a strategic plan.

                  I had something more like this in mind:

                  B.  Chapter Development  (See "building_a_state_rlc_organization" at http://www.rlc.org/.)

                  C.  Campaign Support

                      1.  Candidate Research & Endorsements
                      2.  Solicited Contributions
                      3.  PAC Contributions
                      4.  Volunteer Support

                  D.  Liberty Index

                  E.  Major Donor Fund-Raising

                  F.  Advisory Board Cultivation

                  G.  Website Promotion  (We've been as high as *third* in a Google search for the keyword "Republican".)

                  H.  Maintain RLC eGroups

                  I.  National RLC Conference/Retreat Planning

                  And then, of course, there are the parallel and additional state-level activities of our various chapters.  Anything strike your [plural] fancy?
                  I'm looking for a STRATEGY, not a list of tasks.

                  What's most important?

                  What gets emphasized first?

                  Are the resources up to the task?

                  Don't get me wrong, this is a decent list of tasks...but that's not a strategy.

                  TCS
                  ====================================
                    For further specifics, perhaps Bill will [re-]submit to the e-groups details about the list of "100 RLC projects" he mentioned in a renewed appeal for volunteers.

                  > If you can't measure, you don't know that you HAVE done anything. Putting in effort is not the same as getting something done.

                  We, *indeed*, measure our progress.  Monthly membership numbers are tracked state-by-state as well as ad-by-ad or event-by-event.
                  =======================================
                  OK, that's good.

                  Is there a graph available of membership over time?

                  What's the annual budget of the organization?

                  Is there a graph of that over time?

                  Thx,

                  TCS
                  =====================================
                    No doubt, you've seen our postings of state-by-state membership increases and the updates on the fabled Florida vs. New Hampshire membership growth challenge.
                  ==================================
                  Actually, I'm very new, and I haven't yet.

                  But I'd be interested!

                  TCS
                  ======================================

                  Quantitative measurements of monies raised, monies contributed to candidates, or conference attendance are similarly available.  Results have been moving in an encouraging direction; still, what we need is *more* progress and for that, what we need is more volunteers.
                  ====================================
                  If you had 10 volunteers willing to put in 5 hrs/week, what would you have them do?

                  If you have 10 donors willing to give $100/month, what would you spend it on?

                  A strategic plan should answer this...

                  TCS
                  >> The next "organizational development" teleconference is February 13th.
                  >... And, most importantly, why do you put organizational development in quotes, perhaps suggesting that that's not a term with a well defined meaning?

                  I was referring to our monthly board meeting teleconference at which organizational development is discussed *routinely*.  If you're not on the board nor otherwise on the distribution list for meeting notifications as a state representative but would like to contribute, I suggest you contact Bill.  Positive contributions are *more* than welcome.
                  Hmm, well, OK.

                  I might be willing to be on the call, depending on when it is.

                  TCS