890RE: [RLC-Action] "... promote the general welfare, ..."

  • John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret
    Sep 1, 2005
      Madison did not want the "General Welfare" clause in the Constitution, but Hamilton did.
      Hamilton won the argument, but only after he convinced Madison that General Welfare was
      broad in nature and only provided an introduction to specifically enumerated government powers.  Hope this helps.

      Mitch

      Toby Nixon <toby@...> wrote:
      I agree with Thomas. The key point is the modifier "general". The Founding
      Fathers had no clue what "welfare" was and certainly weren't referring to
      the modern form of government-provided "welfare" by this term in the
      preamble or in Article 1 Section 8. They weren't talking about direct
      transfer payments to individuals, but to capital infrastructure, services,
      and legal structures that benefit society as a whole.

      The government "promotes the general welfare" most by helping us to defend
      our lives, liberty, and property. The welfare of everyone is promoted by a
      stable system of laws and protection of property rights that enables
      investment without concern that those investments will be lost to thieves.
      The "welfare system" your liberal friend defends is exactly the opposite of
      that, since it depends on the violation of property rights to fund it.

      I do not buy the argument that welfare payments to the poor do in fact
      promote the protection of property rights, by appeasing the masses who would
      otherwise revolt and take the property of the rich -- in other words,
      welfare payments are a form of protection racket (giving in to extortion).
      This presumes the most base characteristics on poor people, and I maintain
      that many of the most proud and honest people I know are or were poor. The
      fact is that the welfare system has done immense damage to individual
      character in this country by creating an entitlement mentality where none
      previously existed. And I speak as one who knows, who grew up on AFDC, food
      stamps, Medicaid, government surplus food, and housing subsidies, and hated
      what that dependency mentality did to my father.

      -- Toby