Smith Family

  • Bonnie Weber
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11 2:07 AM
      Hi Carol

      I found a Gloucester will that might help. Send me your address again, I
      lost it.

      Bonnie
      bonnie.travel@...
    • peircerachel
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2008
        I am transcribing a diary kept by Harriet Spink Smith (1834-1924),
        daughter of Hannah (Spink) and Harris Smith. They lived on Stony Lane
        in North Kingstown. I am trying to sort out the multitudes of cousins
        and neighbors that she writes about. I am not a genealogist, so any
        help would be appreciated!

        Harriet's Grandparents were:
        Mary (Austin) and Benjamin Smith
        Catharine (Allen) and John Spink

        Right now the Lawtons are confusing me....
        Elizabeth Smith, sister of Harris, married Daniel Lawton.
        Does anyone have any information about their descendants?

        Thanks,
        Rachel

        p.s. Thanks to Trish for telling me about your site and my cousin
        Gloria for inviting me to join ;)
      • Charlie Carpenter
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2008
          Hi

          Daniel died 1-3-1863 at age 83 and Elizabeth Died 9-29-1863 at age 71 have the following children buried with them in N.K. Historical Cemetery # 13 on Stoney Lane.
          Albert H. Died 2-5-1859 at age 37
          Thomas G. Drowned 8-10-1840 age 23
          George A. Died in Railroad accident 9-9-1839 age 24
          Benjamin S. Died 5-24-1852 age 38

          From what I could find John Spink and his wife have been removed to Quidnesset Cemetery off Post Road,N.K. NKHC #13 has about 40 burials with the Lawtons on the left portion and Smiths on the right.

          I have the N.K. Historical Cemetery book by Althea McAleer and Deby Nunes if want any more look ups.

          Charlie C

          Charlie Carpenter
          Washington County,R.I.

          Johnny cakes are spoiled by Maple syrup

        • GClarke688@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2008
            ?Rachel
            This is from the Smith Family Almanac
            Some of these may not be the children of Daniel & Elizabeth (Smith) Lawton as some entries don't have her maiden name.
            Pg. 82
            Lawton, Daniel, d. 3 Jan. 1863, 83 years, 6 months and 13 days.

            Lawton, Elizabeth, widow of Daniel Lawton, and daughter of Benjamin Smith deceased, d. 29 Sept. 1863, aged 71 years, 11 months and 1 day.

            Lawton, Albert Harris, son of Daniel & Elizabeth, d. 5 Feb. 1859, aged 36 years, 8 months and 26 days.

            Lawton, Benjamin S., son of Daniel & Elizabeth, d. 24 May 1852, aged 38 years, 4 months and 23 days.

            Pg. 83
            Lawton, George A., son of Daniel & Elizabeth, d. 9 Sept. 1839, was accidently killed by railroad cars.

            Lawton, Thomas Green, son of Daniel & Elizabeth, d. 10 Aug. 1840.

            From Washington Co., RI Births from Death Records, By Alden G. Beaman, Vol. 9.
            Pg. 55
            Lawton, Abby Case, of Daniel & Elizabeth, b. 1824 NK - d. 14 Jan. 1894 Newport; wid. of Mr. Peckham, (NeD5:202)

            Lawton, Almira L., of Daniel & Elizabeth (Smith), b. 22 Jan. 1830 NK - d. 13 Feb. 1895 E. Greenwich; wid. of Peleg Arnold (EGD4:80) (NeM1:185)

            Pg. 56.
            Lawton, Henry B., son of Daniel & Elizabeth, b. 1832 NK - d. 1 Jan. 1898 NK; married. (NKD4:118-119)
            (Compare entry below)

            Lawton, Henry B. of Daniel & Sarah, b. 1832 NK (ExM1:10)

            Pg. 57
            Lawton, Lewis D., of Daniel & Elizabeth, b. Apr. 1820 NK - d. 17 Dec. 1874 E. Greenwich; married.?(EGD4:39)

            Pg. 59.
            Lawton, William R., of Daniel & Elizabeth, b. 1828 NK - d. 29 Mar. 1899 NK; married. (NKD4:122-123) (NKM3:9)

            Washington Co., RI, Marriages fro Gravestones, Vol. 3.
            Pg. 176
            Lawton, Almira, of Daniel & Elizabeth, b. NK 22 Jan. 1830 - d. 13 Feb. 1895, and Peleg Arnold, of Rowland & Elizabeth, b. Ex 22 Aug. 1817 - d. 12 Feb. 1895.

            Lawton, Benjamin S., of Daniel & Elizabeth (Smith), b. 31 Dec. 1813, - d. 24 May 1852, and Emeline Allen, of George & Anstis, b. 14 Dec. 1817 - d. 7 Sept. 1885, buried NK.

            Lawton, Daniel, of Edward & Amy, b. 18 May 1779 - d. 3 Jan. 1863, and Elizabeth Smith, of Benjamin & Mary, b. 28 Oct. 1791 - d. 29 Sept. 1863, buried NK.

            Pg. 177
            Lawton, Lewis D., of Daniel & Elizabeth, b. 1822 - d. 19 Dec. 1874, and Mary Ann Arnold, Of Josiah & Patience, b. 6 Feb. 1826 - d. 26 July 1890, buried NK.

            Births from Gravestones
            Pg. 394
            Lawton, George A., 2d. son of Daniel & Elizabeth (Smith), b. 1816 - d. 9 Sept. 1839, buried NK.

            Pg. 395
            Lawton, Thomas G., of Daniel & Elizabeth (Smith), b. 1818 - d. 10 Aug. 1840, buried NK.

            [Susan Berman at the No. Kingstown Library has found the Smith Almanac that has been missing.]

            Geri Clarke

            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2008
              Hi Rachel
              I've been looking through the CD you gave me. The chronological version that I have only goes?from 17 March 1776 -?7 Nov. 1860 but the Alphabetical version I have seems to cover whats on the CD so maybe there isn't anything missing.

              How are you related to the Smith family? On the 3rd. pg. of The Family Record of Benjamin Smith there is a marriage of Thomas Hicks and Ann Clark which doesn't appear in the Clarke Gen., my husband Tom has been trying to add to this Gen. so that was a nice record to find.

              Geri

            • alrose509@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                As long as the SMITH family has come up, I traced the origins of the settler
                of the village of Smithville, in Ludlow, VT was the family of Richard &
                Deborah (Winsor) SMITH of Glocester, RI.

                Here is a ling to my web page with more info including sources.
                _http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=butchrose&id=I23451
                _
                (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=butchrose&id=I23451)

                Al Rose
                Fayettville, NC

                favorites at AOL Food.

              • GClarke688@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                  Sorry, I ment to send it to Rachel and instead sent it to the list.

                  Geri

                  I've been looking through the CD you gave me. The chronological version that I have only goes?from 17 March 1776 -?7 Nov. 1860 but the Alphabetical version I have seems to cover whats on the CD so maybe there isn't anything missing.

                  How are you related to the Smith family? On the 3rd. pg. of The Family Record of Benjamin Smith there is a marriage of Thomas Hicks and Ann Clark which doesn't appear in the Clarke Gen., my husband Tom has been trying to add to this Gen. so that was a nice record to find.

                  Geri

                • Donna Potter
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                    Geri,
                    Don't be sorry! I have spent a long time trying to dig up info on the Smiths who married into the Gereardy family and also another line of Smiths who married Mitchells in NK and SK. This Smith line may be part of the ones who married the Gereardy family but who knows? They used the same names over and over and left terrible records, so they have kept me busy :)
                    This particular Mitchell family appears to not be connected to the Block Island clan, at least not so far. I think they just hatched from an egg dropped by some bird here in South County and that is why they are so hard to find!
                    I always love to see the name Smith on the list.
                    Donna
                    ---- GClarke688@... wrote:
                    > Sorry, I ment to send it to Rachel and instead sent it to the list.
                    >
                    > Geri

                  • Carol H
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 20, 2008
                      I am still looking for information on the following SMITHS:

                      Marriage notice:

                      1794 BRIGGS-- BRIGGS George, of Providence, son of Abel, late of Freetown, Mass., dec., and Mercy Smith, resident of Glocester, dau. of Solomon, of Mendon, Mass.; m. by John Smith, Justice, Nov. 16, 1794. vol. 1 pg. 98 Marriage Glocester

                      I have been searching for info on her for awhile now and found nothing. Does anyone have either Mercy SMITH or her father Solomon in their data?

                      Carol Sherman Houghton
                    • Carol H
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 27, 2010
                        Good Morning everyone, I, too, am searching for a SMITH relative. I am looking for any information on a Mercy SMITH (or Mary) that was listed in the Providence Marriages as follows:

                        1794 BRIGGS-- BRIGGS George, of Providence, son of Abel, late of Freetown, Mass., dec., and Mercy Smith, resident of Glocester, dau. of Solomon, of Mendon, Mass.; m. by John Smith, Justice, Nov. 16, 1794. vol. 1 pg. 98 Marriage Glocester

                        I have searched Mendon, Mass and found nothing but would like to find some info on Mercy or her father Solomon. Has anyone seen these people?

                        Mercy and George Briggs are my 4th great grandparents through their son James who was born in 1822 in Burrillville, RI. Thanks for any info.

                        Carol Sherman Houghton
                      • Ben
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
                          Hi Bonnie..

                          Just received this in my in box....notice the date lol....