Re: [RI_Ancestors] Reply to All - Re: Help w ith Québec Catholic Records Written in Latin

  • finnjordan4
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hi Linda, I was able to connect - cut and pasted your email and a friend of a friend ( :) a Catholic Priest) responded
      and told me to send it to him and he hopes he is able to understand "their" cursive Latin. I'll get back to you as soon as
      I hear more.
      Mickey

      On 08/27/13, miyukichan0987 wrote:

      First let me say thanks to all who've responded. I was away for a few days with some unplanned business so didn't want to get back into those pesky Latin records until I could have the time to concentrate on it again.

      Like others here, I took a language, French, wayyy back in high school & could remember little of it when I actually needed it after marriage & Hubby & I whould take our equally long ago vacation trips to Old Qu�bec City & Trois Riviere.

      I had to laugh at Lisa's remark about taking Latin for 2 years and remembering little of it. I can really identify with that! Mostly I remember two phrases from class, "Fermer la bouche!" something our high school French teacher uttered at least once a class and I'm dead! - "Je suis mort!", which was mumbled by many in my French class just before a pop quiz.

      Lisa, I took a look at the Family Search Wiki on Latin and saw a couple of the words listed there that I'd encountered in the record I was trying to figure out as well as words similar to those from French & Italian which are Latin derivatives.

      AFGS is a good suggestion, too. I hadn't consider them. The past president, who I've run into up there occasionally, is an ex-Catholic priest(Before anyone comes to the wrong conclusion, he left in order to become a fulltime care giver for an elderly relative)so he must surely have a good grip on the Latin language.

      Now that I'm back home w/tree at hand, I'm going to try exploring this particular digitized film of BMD to 1690 & see if I can get a better understanding of what else might be here besides these Latin records. In the late 1800's Fr. Cyprien Tanguay found these Bonhomme baptisms I'm searching for & published them in his Genealogical Dictionary known now simply as Tanguay so hopefully the records survived into the 20th cent. to be filmed & these, then, are some of them.

      The baptisms I've been hunting were for children of Guillaume Bonhomme & his wife Francoise Guige Huchet. Their daughter Agnes is an ancestor of my husband's great-grandfather Benjamin Poliquin who arrived with his family in Rhode Island from Quebec in the spring of 1885.

      Kim & Mickey and anyone else wants to try out their rusty Latin, this is one of the images I was looking at:

      The person I'm unsuccessfully trying to find here is Joseph Bonhomme b. April 1672(Tanguay V1 pg. 66)https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28022-20826-61?cc=1321742&wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726

      This one should have Francois-Herbert Bonhomme who Tanguay says was b/baptized 7 Dec 1677. Though the format looks more like what I'm familiar with, I don't see anything resembling his name:

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28022-19626-79?cc=1321742&wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726

      I though these images were baptisms - maybe of a group baptized all at once(?) but the format on the earlier one isn't of the type I'm used to seeing in Quebec records. However, it is the first time I've looked at mission records so perhaps the monks/missionaries used a different format from what the parish priests did.

      Thanks,

      Linda

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "miyukichan0987" <miyukichan0987@...> wrote:

      > I'm wondering if anyone in the Group who possibly attended a Catholic school or Classical High School in Providence(the only public high school in RI I know of that offers Latin) ever learned any Latin?

      > I'm looking at BMD records from the late 1600's in Qu�bec and they're all in Latin.

      > I'm able to get some of the words using free on line translation sites but other of the words don't translate despite the writing & therefore the words, being pretty legible.

      > The one thing I thought would pop out, the surnames, are eluding me.

      > Can anyone help?

      > Linda

    • finnjordan4
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hi Linda,

        I did hear back from Father and he said image 58 mentions Bonhomme. He also said the handwriting is awful but would like a week or so and he will give it his best and get back to me.
        I've marked my calendar and will text him, in a week if I don't hear before, to see how he is doing. Fingers crossed :)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2013
          Hi Linda,

          Maybe it’s me, but I don’t see Bonhomme on these pages at all. What I do see are a lot of Native [Abenaki] marriages.

          Also, the dates do not seem to include the dates that you have given in your message below.

          Have you tried PRDH? http://www.genealogie.umontreal.ca/en/leprdh.htm

          Let me know if you find anything there – I have a subscription.

          Lisa

          lisa.lepore2@...

          I did hear back from Father and he said image 58 mentions Bonhomme. He also said the handwriting is awful but would like a week or so and he will give it his best and get back to me.
          I've marked my calendar and will text him, in a week if I don't hear before, to see how he is doing. Fingers crossed :)

          Mickey

          On 08/27/13, miyukichan0987 wrote:

          First let me say thanks to all who've responded. I was away for a few days with some unplanned business so didn't want to get back into those pesky Latin records until I could have the time to concentrate on it again.

          Like others here, I took a language, French, wayyy back in high school & could remember little of it when I actually needed it after marriage & Hubby & I whould take our equally long ago vacation trips to Old Qu颥c City & Trois Riviere.

          The person I'm unsuccessfully trying to find here is Joseph Bonhomme b. April 1672(Tanguay V1 pg. 66)https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28022-20826-61?cc=1321742 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28022-20826-61?cc=1321742&wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726> &wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726

          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28022-19626-79?cc=1321742 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28022-19626-79?cc=1321742&wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726> &wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> , "miyukichan0987" <miyukichan0987@...> wrote:

          > I'm wondering if anyone in the Group who possibly attended a Catholic school or Classical High School in Providence(the only public high school in RI I know of that offers Latin) ever learned any Latin?

          > I'm looking at BMD records from the late 1600's in Qu颥c and they're all in Latin.

          > I'm able to get some of the words using free on line translation sites but other of the words don't translate despite the writing & therefore the words, being pretty legible.

          > The one thing I thought would pop out, the surnames, are eluding me.

          > Can anyone help?

          > Linda

        • miyukichan0987

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2013
              I noticed that PRDH did have the same date as you posted earlier. It’s possible that the records do not exist any longer, but were available at the time Tanguay did his research.

              One thing I noticed when looking at that database was there were several pages that were torn, so that’s where your information may have been :-( I’m sure if the records are in

              the PRDH, they are as accurate as they can be, but it sure would be great to find the actual records if they are out there.

              Do you belong to the Quebec-research group at rootsweb? Bertrand Desjardins, the project manager belongs to that list.

              You could also just ask him directly if the records exist.

              Lisa

              The person I'm unsuccessfully trying to find here is Joseph Bonhomme b. April 1672(Tanguay V1 pg. 66) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28022-20826-61?cc=1321742 < https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28022-20826-61?cc=1321742 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28022-20826-61?cc=1321742&wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726> &wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726 > &wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726

              https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28022-19626-79?cc=1321742 < https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28022-19626-79?cc=1321742 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28022-19626-79?cc=1321742&wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726> &wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726 > &wc=MMY5-CQC:n397312726