Slight CorrectionRe: "Rodjescourt" in Olneyville - Puzzeling things out

  • miyukichan0987
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
      Now that I'm not rushing to get out the door for a meeting as I was when I posted this earlier, I've taken a closer look at the Land Ownership map.

      I mis-spoke earlier. The buildings I was looking at weren't brick but wood. And the large buildings that most caught my attention are coded as being "Barns".

      That leaves just 2 structures that weren't barns.

      One on the corner of Delaine & Rodgers Ct. which fronted on Delaine & quite likely is the light slate colored building in the Bing bird's eye view.

      However, the other structure (1895) that fronts on Rodgers Ct. doesn't seem to be one of those visible in the Bing bird's eye view unless the Providence tax site has incorrect data. The two possible candidates - the white triple decker & the green shingle sided multi family - are both said to have been built in 1900 according to the Providence tax site.

      It certainly wouldn't be the first time the year built was wrong on a tax as we've just seen with the Logee House on Logee St, Woonsocket.

      If the tax site info on year built IS wrong and if Rodgers Ct. of 1895 was aka the "Rodjescourt" of the 1908 card's addy then one or the other of those present structures is almost certainly where Hubby's grandmother lived.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2013
        Hi Linda,

        Can’t say for sure but it certainly sounds like a good conclusion. There
        doesn’t seem to be anything else that’s close.

        There are directories at ancestry for 1908, 1909, & 1910. They are in the
        collection U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989

        NOT the Rhode Island City Directories

        I don’t know if you are looking for Peloquin, but there are some in the 1908
        [not on Rodjescourt]

        even though they don’t come up when you search. You need to just go to the
        directory and browse.

        I love the city directories but this is one of my pet peeves about
        ancestry.com’s directory search. I learned this a long time ago, when I
        couldn’t find

        anyone on line, but yet I had seen them in the books at the library.

        I browsed for the street listing in 1908 but didn’t see it. I did not
        browse the 1909 & 1910.

        Those 1895 maps are great! I had no idea those were there. I have to go
        back and search for my great grandfather’s house. I don’t think it was
        there in

        1895.

        Hope this helps a little.

        Lisa

        lisa.lepore2@...

[...]

        c=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing> &ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing

[...]

      • midsummerfest
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
          Hi Lisa & All,

          I just discovered that mail from the Group is being sent to two different
          mailboxes one of which, this one I replying from, I don't ever remember
          giving to Ma or Pa since it's purely a "junk" addy I give out when forced
          to supply an email.

          I did recently give PA a new addy when I got fed up with Yahoo mail & the
          latest change they've forced on everyone that the majority of users didn't
          want (if the blogs are to be believed) but it wasn't this one.

          For some reason Pa couldn't circumvent, he wasn't being allowed to make the
          change. I've not been able to do it from my end either. The only way
          seems to be to follow Pa's suggestion to unsubscribe & then resubscribe
          with the new addy.

          My whole "Rodjescourt" reasoning was just seeming to fit too well & making
          me second guess myself so to make sure I wasn't indulging in too much
          looking at this through rose colored glasses I wanted to get some other's
          opinions before celebrating a "solve".

          Thanks for taking the time to look it over. It's reassuring to know that
          someone else thinks the conclusion of Rodjescourt = Rodgers Court is
          probably right.

          I didn't know that there were city directories in the U.S. City
          Directories, 1821-1989 database beyond those in the specific cities'
          databases. I thought whenever I saw that in the results cue at Ancestry
          that it was just an aggregation of the city directory results already
          listed so I've never looked at it. I've probably missed some people I was
          looking for . Thanks for putting us on notice about this.

          Peloquin: Thanks for thinking of me and checking it out in the directory.
          Back in 1908, however, the family was still the original POLIQUIN. The
          family name didn't begin the morph to Peloquin until the mid 1920's.

          Pre 1920's, we were still the original POLIQUIN that went back to the late
          1600's in Quebec. Along the way from then til the great-grandparents came
          to RI, those Catholic priests creating the BMD records maybe didn't always
          agree on what given names to use for a particular ancestor but they were,
          thankfully, consistent in what the surname was.

          From abt. 1925, when my husband's grandfather died in an accident until
          abt. 1935, the name fluxuated between the original POLIQUIN and PELOQUIN
          before finally settling in at Peloquin.

          If you've never looked at the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, they're often a
          bit later but useful, too. Prov. Public Library has these in a searchable
          from home database that recently had a change in accessing it. See the
          post I just did a short while ago.

          Linda