Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Logee Hill

  • finnjordan4
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 18, 2013
      There is a Pond Street that runs off of the main one-way street (I thing it's called Social St) that runs through the center of Woonsocket.
      The Registry of Motor Vehicles had/has an office there. I don't know if that helps.
      Mickey

      On 08/18/13, ghostofdali wrote:

      Hi,

      I bet your area is more near present day Social street, one of the main through streets in the commercial area, probably near the intersection with Cumberland Hill road. I believe that's where Social Village was, it was a mill village. It's a distance away from present day Logee street but it's conceivable that there was a street running from that area up to Logee Hill. I never heard of a Georgiaville in Woonsocket, the one in Smithfield is a long way away and is almost certainly not what you're looking for.

      good luck,

      -Glen

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
        I found this site describing an historic house at Logee Hill

        http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4ZE1_Logee_House_Woonsocket_Rhode_Islan

        They have a map there that shows the location today as Logee Street.
        According to this site, Logee Hill was a land grant from the town of Mendon
        Massachusetts

        to a family named Logee, Huguenots who settled there in 1729. I think we
        can agree that Logee Hill and today's Logee Street are the same. Also,
        Logee Hill is in the

        village of Bernon, while the current Pond Street is in the Village of Social
        - other side of town. I thought maybe Bernon hadn't been established yet so
        maybe the area

        was still part of Social in 1869, but that was not the case. Bernon was
        established in 1827.

        There is a site with information on the villages here

        http://www.woonsocket.org/village.htm

        I agree with Linda below that there must have been an earlier Pond Street,
        that has since been renamed. I looked at the map for the Jillson Ave she
        suggested. If you look

        at the satellite version of Jillson at google maps there appears to be a
        faint path that leads from the pond to the end of Jillson. The land around
        the pond is conservation land,

        so maybe they ended the present day road as on the map to preserve the
        conservation area.

        I also tried looking just for Jillson Av in the Woonsocket directories at
        ancestry.com and although this is not 100%, this street doesn't appear until
        the directories of the 1900's.

        There are some street name changes here - in the 1898 Directory it lists the
        cross streets to Logee. In one section it has Cleveland, Smith, Maple. On
        the current map, the streets are

        Cleveland, Division, Jillson, Maple. Also in 1900 Logee ends at Manville.
        Today, they do not intersect - Logee just kind of dead ends before Manville
        Rd

        My guess is Division was Smith, and Jillson did not exist as a Street. It
        was probably a path that went to the pond, and I'm thinking now that it was
        not an officially named

        street, because they already had a Pond street. In this same directory,
        Pond Street is in the same area it is today, with main cross streets exactly
        the same, although today

        there are a few more cross streets.

        I also could not find a map on line that is early enough for your guy, but

        as I said earlier, try the library - maybe they have one, or have the city
        directories for 1870 and a few years later.

        Lisa

        lisa.lepore2@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
          Wow, that house is on the National Register! Hope the tax assessor doesn't realize this or the value & thus the taxes will leap skyward! for the moment it's only valued at $126,200 for tax purposes. I'm thinking it's a rental because the current owner lives in Warwick & inherited it. Nice sized lot, too for being in the city.

          Right now the tax site house the house as built in 1950 although the Waymark site has it at abt. 1729 & having a slate roof. I'm no roofing expert but it sure looks like good ole asphalt shingles to me in the Google maps close-up.

          Pretty interesting. I love looking at historic homes. Thanks for the Waymark link & history.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
            Here's the designation from the Nat'l Historic Register website. It was
            place there in 1982. Unfortunately, the file hasn't been digitized yet, so
            no more information than this.

            Hi Linda,

            I don't know what MRA at the end of this line means.

            82000001

            Logee House

            225 Logee St.

            RHODE ISLAND

            Providence

            Woonsocket

            LI

            19821124

            Woonsocket MRA

            I agree that it certainly looks like asphalt shingles - at least the part we
            can see from the photos. However it does look like there is one of those
            "built in xxxx" signs on the front near the door.

            There is nothing to indicate it is on the National Historic register at the
            tax assessor site, so maybe that is why it was able to get an asphalt roof
            with no one asking questions?

            Interesting that the tax assessor site says it has a slate roof also - makes
            you wonder if anyone actually goes out to see these properties... Maybe
            part of roof is still slate?

            Lisa

> [...]

            > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
            > , SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a listing for my Benjamin
            > K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd. Social Village.
            > >
            > > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee Street in Woonsocket.
            > Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near Logee St. though. I
            did
            > a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill. Its a 355' hill in
            > Georgiaville. It looks like that is where Mount St. Charles School is
            > located. Does anyone on this list in RI know this area who may know if
            > there is a/was a Pond St. near?
            > >
            > > Likely street names changed over time, but it is interesting that the
            > Logee Hill is near a pond too. Just trying to figure out if I am in the

          • Linda Peloquin
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
              Occasionally, they finally do. For years the pix of our house was abt. circa 1990 2 colors & 1 roof ago but now there's a recent pix with the color we painted it last summer.

              The 2005 revaluation for N. Providence was really bad. Everyone had a finished basement whether or not they actually did or not. Personally knowing 3 of the houses & what they are in reality vs what the revaluators put them down for in the way of bedrooms, baths, dens, decks, etc. I've got to wonder if they were high or drunk when they came around that time. There were a ton of appeals that time. I think the whole town got done again in the end because it was easier than hearing all the appeals.

              Subject: RE: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Logee Hill / Georgiaville
              To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

              From: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
> [...]

              > , SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@> wrote:

              > > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a
              listing for my Benjamin

              > K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd.
              Social Village.

              > > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee
              Street in Woonsocket.

              > Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near
              Logee St. though. I

              did

              > a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill. Its
              a 355' hill in

              > Georgiaville. It looks like that is where Mount St.
              Charles School is

              > located. Does anyone on this list in RI know this area
              who may know if

              > there is a/was a Pond St. near?

              > > Likely street names changed over time, but it is
              interesting that the

              > Logee Hill is near a pond too. Just trying to figure

              removed]