Pond St. and Logee Hill location

  • SANDY JOHANSEN
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2013
      I am awed by the help so many of you have offered to me regarding this query!  Thank you all so much.  Ms. Linda, you are amazing and this information is going to be extremely valuable.  I have a NEHGS subscription so will do the search you describe too.  If I can help others with lookups on any of my subscriptions please ask. I currently have Fold3; NEHGS, Ancestry US; and Genealogy bank subscriptions.  I also have access to the DAR databases as I volunteer on our local chapter membership committee. {actually I am the membership committee, LOL}
      Georgiaville came into the search when a search of Google maps showed that there really is a place called LOGEE Hill but that doesn't mean the Logee Hill road was near it, maybe just the way to it.

      RI Peak Statistics - Logee Hill

      Elevation : 375' County : Providence Quad : Georgiaville
      Coords : 41.9951°N, 71.5050°W Notice  Rise : 70' Saddle : 305'
      Parent Lineage
      Line Parent : Wood Hill
      Proximate Parent : Beacon Pole Hill
      Isolation : 2.82 miles

      Kind Regards,
      Sandy

    • ghostofdali
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
        Hi,

        I was interested when you mentioned my alma mater, and at first thought I could clear it up for you easy by getting you to Social Village...but so much for that! I looked at all the info Linda turned up and now I think she's much more on the right track. I found your posts from many years ago on the RIGENWEB list about this and a few other things.

        Unfortunately, it looks like the original city directory list you're talking about definitely has a mistake. As we've seen, it can't possibly be both near Logee street and Social Village -- so that throws the whole thing in to doubt for me. Before, you transcribed the text as "Benjamin K. Bennett h. Pond, n. Logee Hill road, S.V." That makes the most likely error to simply be in the S.V. (Social Village) portion. It should have read B.V. (Bernon Village), and that would make it much less confusing. There being no Pond street in that area now, and the presence of a Pond street in Social Village could indicate the mistake is with Logee Street, but Linda turned up enough to convince me that there once was a Pond street in Bernon Village.

        I checked the 1870 D. G. Beers map, and unfortunately it cuts off almost exactly at the area we'd need to be looking. But you mentioned there was also a William G. Bennett, and his listing was "William G. Bennett h. Logee Hill road, n. Front, G.V." This is in nearby Globe Village, at the northwestern end of Logee Street. What's interesting is that he IS on the Beers map, only his h. (house) is shown on Front street, n. (near) Logee...not the other way around. Do you know if they were related?

        I also turned up a few things about the transfer of Globe and Bernon villages, the only reference I found to "Logee Hill road" (on all the maps I found it was written as Logee street, including the 1870 Beers map) was from a judiciary report from about that time detailing the money Smithfield had spent on maintenance and upkeep of this area, juxtaposed with the tax income from the residents. It also notes that on November 8, 1868 the voters of Smithfield voted 84 yes to 767 no on the question of whether to set off these villages and turn them over to Woonsocket. As we now know, it happened anyway. It's my guess that the road was probably known as "Logee Hill road" while a part of Smithfield and turned over to "Logee street" when it became a part of Woonsocket.

        In the 1895 Everts and Richards map of Providence county, the plats along Logee street are fully laid out, and there are at least four roads there that are not labelled and are potentially your Pond street. One is present day Jillson avenue, which does indeed run down to a small pond and may have once continued south to the cemeteries Linda mentioned. There's also present-day Reservoir ave, which runs more southeast. Note there is no reservoir in the immediate area. What there is though, and has been since the time you're looking at, is some municipal water works. Perhaps there was a pond or man-made reservoir in this location at the time. Where Mt St Charles is today is shown as Roberts street, whose northern section still exists. There is a small unnamed street to the east that is also no longer there. Lastly, there is a Bennett street to the north, which now has one of those RI "road stubs" to the south, but was connected on this 1895, and there's a small unnamed road nearby to the south off Nicol street. This area is now also extinct, being a part of the MSC campus.

        I'd second the suggestion to contact the Harris library, and additionally you could try the Museum of Work and Culture in Woonsocket, they may have more maps or some further info. Have you found him in the 1870 census? In that one, they listed a "post office" location and that might give you some more info.

        -Glen

        PS I found these maps on http://www.historicmapworks.com it's a great site!

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@...> wrote:

        > I am awed by the help so many of you have offered to me regarding this query!  Thank you all so much.  Ms. Linda, you are amazing and this information is going to be extremely valuable.  I have a NEHGS subscription so will do the search you describe too.  If I can help others with lookups on any of my subscriptions please ask. I currently have Fold3; NEHGS, Ancestry US; and Genealogy bank subscriptions.  I also have access to the DAR databases as I volunteer on our local chapter membership committee. {actually I am the membership committee, LOL}
        > Georgiaville came into the search when a search of Google maps showed that there really is a place called LOGEE Hill but that doesn't mean the Logee Hill road was near it, maybe just the way to it.
        >
        > RI Peak Statistics - Logee Hill
        >
        > Elevation : 375' County : Providence Quad : Georgiaville
        > Coords : 41.9951°N, 71.5050°W Notice  Rise : 70' Saddle : 305'
        > Parent Lineage
        > Line Parent : Wood Hill
        > Proximate Parent : Beacon Pole Hill
        > Isolation : 2.82 miles
        >

        > Kind Regards,
        > Sandy

      • ghostofdali
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
          One more thing I forgot in my previous post. The bend in the Blackstone river at the north of Globe village is shown as "Bernon pond" on historic maps. Today, it has an island in it. This is right near the William G. Bennett household, at the northwestern end of Logee street, and near the large cemetery described earlier by Linda. There may have once been a small road there traveling southeast to that cemetery as described, near but but not actually crossing Logee.

          -Glen

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "ghostofdali" <ghostofdali@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Georgiaville came into the search when a search of Google maps showed that there really is a place called LOGEE Hill but that doesn't mean the Logee Hill road was near it, maybe just the way to it.
          > >
          > > RI Peak Statistics - Logee Hill
          > >
          > > Elevation : 375' County : Providence Quad : Georgiaville
          > > Coords : 41.9951°N, 71.5050°W Notice  Rise : 70' Saddle : 305'

        • SANDY JOHANSEN
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
            William George Bennett was born in Foster,RI about 1823 to Stephen and Lydia nee Baker Bennett.
            He was listed in 1850 census and 1863 Civil War draft in Smithfield, RI. In 1869 city directory the listing is h. Logee Hill Rd. n. Front st, Globe Villiage, Woonsocket. 1870 he is on farm with brother Harley Bennett in Smithfield, 1880 in N. Smithfield and 1905 back in Woonsocket as a grocery clerk.
            This seems to put him in Globe Village for sure. I have tracked him and children but can't yet link to my Benjamin who is a proven ancestor.
             His children were Alexander Stephen, William George, Harley W., Henry A, Almira M. and George B Bennett.

            Kind Regards,
            Sandy