Re: Logee Hill / Georgiaville

  • miyukichan0987
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 17, 2013
      Sandy,

      Georgiaville in Smithfield still exists and is a long way from Woonsocket so despite a sliver of south western Woonsocket once being a part of the original Smithfield, I doubt that Smithfield's Georgiaville could be mistaken for being a part of Woonsocket.

      The present Georgiaville is home to the Smithfield Town Hall and is on Rt. 104 / Farnum Pike.

      You can locate it pretty easily by looking on a map, following I 295 north into Smithfield. Georgiaville Pond will be a long pond on the right side of I 295. The area known as Georgiaville is on the southe western side of the pond. The old mills in the village have been turned into mostly condos & apartments and some office sorts of businesses. Many of the old stone mill houses still stand & there are some other wooden buildings, now residences too, that were also from the mill period.

      ----------

      Divving Up Smithfield:

      Old Smithfield (itself a part of Providence until Feb 1730/1731) was divvied up into the present Smithfield, Lincoln (further divided in 1895 when the Central Falls Fire District was set off as a separate municipality), North Smithfield in Mar 1871.

      On 8 Mar 1871 by an act of the RI State Legislature, the division of Smithfield, incorporation of the new towns formed and the setting of fixed boundaries was authorized.

      2 months later, Smithfield lost another part of it's territory when, on 8 May 1871, a small sliver of Smithfield was annexed to Woonsocket. My best guess on the sliver given to Woonsocket is that it's the area in the southwest corner known as Globe where in 1826, Thomas Arnold, Thomas A. Paine & Marvel Shove started a cotton mill, the Globe Manufacturing Company.

      Also on the subject of divving up, the Woonsocket section notes that until 31 Jan 1867, Woonsocket was part of Cumberland so in 1869, Woonsocket was still a freshly minted town.

      All this, with the exception of noting Central Falls being set off from Lincoln in 1895 which had yet to happen at the time, comes from a massively large* book, "History of RI w/Illustrations; Hoag, Wade & Co, Philadelphia; 1878" Pgs 159 - Lincoln, 184 - North Smithfield, 306 - Smithfield & 345 - Woonsocket.

      *I'd love to scan stuff from it but it's abt. 4x the size of my scanner bed and heavy as lead.

      It's also interesting to note according to the above history, that North Smithfield was for a few weeks after it came into being, named Slater.

      -----------

      On to Logee Hill Rd & Pond St.

      What I've found leads me to believe that the present Logee St. was once known as Logee Hill Rd.

      However, the present Pond St., some distance away and on the opposite side of the Blackstone is a totally different street than your 1869 Pond St.

      1871 Woonsocket City Directory @ Ancestry, descriptions transcribed as written:

      Logee, north and south, beyond Bernon Cemetery, B. (B meant Bernon Village, on a present map I have what was Bernon Village & Hamlet Village on the 1895 map @ Ancestry, are now both combined & known as the Hamlet section of the city)

      Pond, from Logee Hill road S. E. to the Cemetery.

      From location of the Bernon Cemetery, it seems that it can't be the cemetery mentioned in the Pond St. description. Pond is running nsoutheast from Logee Hill Rd to a cemetery and the named Bernon Cemetery is on the north side of Logee Hill Rd. in the old Bernon Village.

      Find A Grave offers that Saint James Cemetery aka Woonsocket Historical Cemetery #9 is also known as Bernon Cemetery or Bernon Tombs.

      And futher descriptions from the RI Historic Cemeteries Transcription & Find A Grave yield more:

      356 burials with 16 inscriptions from 1837 to 1895
      150 ft x 150 ft in very poor condition no enclosure; sign missing

      This is an abandoned cemetery, last known burial was in 1904. Cemetery was abandoned soon after.

      Land was originally conveyed to St. James Church (Episcopal- the area was known as Bernon Village) by the Woonsocket Company by deed dated October 20, 1840 (Smithfield Register of Deeds, Book 21, Page 418). Additional land transferred on 10 June 1847 (Smithfield Register of Deeds, Book 25, Page 483). A right of way to Park Avenue was transferred to St. James Church by the R.I.H.T. Co. on 16 November 1887 (Woonsocket Register of Deeds, Book 34, Page 124).

      Cemetery has also been called Bernon Cemetery and Bernon Tombs. Tax Assessor's file #23, acct. # 06-31060 (old data, current # 6310600 Mblu 16 / N/ 207 / 23/). Tax Assessors Map #: Plat #: 16n Lot #: 207. [2013 - Owner: FRANKLIN ASSOCIATES, NARRAGANSETT, RI 02882; Vacant Land; Use Code 9200; Description CEMETERY M00; Size (Acres) 2.25; Assessed Value $55,900]

      Located on Logee St, Woonsocket, RI between Park Ave. and Front St. Right of way from Park Avenue exists between 453 & 437 Park Avenue.

      Number of burials is an estimate, based on church records. Tomb has been destroyed, and bodies removed.
      Less than 10 stones remain, there are 2 standing stones, has been extensively vandalized and is overgrown with weeds and trees. Burial vault outline still exists but damaged and filled with soil. The city removed the main part of it some years ago. A few granite plot outline markers remain upright. Many bodies removed after church abandoned the cemetery."

      So this description of the cemetery known as St. James Cemetery / Bernon Cemetery / Bernon Vaults along with the 1871 description of Logee Hill Rd. seems to strongly suggest that the present Logee St. was formerly known as Logee Hill Rd.

      If you pull up the satellite view on Bing or Google maps, at the western most end of Logee St. right where it begins at Front St, on the north side of Logee St. there's a wooded square which matches a plat map segment of the area on Find A Grave.

      http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pis&PIcrid=2252579&PIpi=9634895&PIMode=cemetery

      One cemetery down, another to find. Unfortunately, the city directories in the Ancestry databases are no help. 1869 had no streets - just businesses; 1872 & 1873 had no street directory and then all of the rest of the 1870's and 1880's are missing; the next ones 1890, 1891 and so on do reflect the massive growth with many more streets.

      I had hoped to see by looking at subsequent directories to determine if & when the 1871 Pond St. ceased or was renamed. I have a feeling it might still have been there by 1890 but under a different name.

      By 1890 there is a Pond St. but it's the present Pond St. on the north side of the Blackstone River: Pond, from Clinton, northerly to the Harris Woolen Mill, Ward 4; cross/intersecting streets - Social, Snow, Daniels, East School & Privilege.

      As to what cemetery could have been the cemetery that the 1871 Pond St. was traveling southeasterly towards, I can find only two candidates on the RI Historic Cemeteries Transcription site:

      Woonsocket #15, Wilkinson Burial Lot located on the corner of Wanda Dr. to the north side of Lydia Ave; bordered by Wanda on the south, Lydia on the east & Lilac on the west.

      Whoever wrote the location must have slightly mixed their streets up because the parcel that fits that description is bordered south by Wanda, east by Lydia and west by Flora Ave. There is a Lilac Ave. but it's to the north, parallels Lydia and ends at Flora so I can see how maybe the person writing the location description thought Flora was an extension of Lilac if they were "out in the field" & there were no street signs.

      The other one is Woonsocket #18, the Peckham/Wilkinson Cemetery. It is at the end of Bluestone Dr off in the woods a bit.(Bluestone is a bit further south on Lydia St. past Wanda St. and on the left)

      I can find no candidate on a modern map for the 1871 Pond St. unless it was the modern Jillson Ave. which runs sort of southerly and peters out a short distance from a pond in the woods named Booth Pond. I suppose once upon a time in the past, just like the road in my area that drives delivery guys nutty with it's abandoned section, it could have extended further and swung a bit more to the east of Booth Pond towards where Bluestone ends in the woods.

      I spent quite a bit of time searching for old maps on line. Unfortunately, the only 1870 maps I could find for this area all stop maddeningly just north of where we need to look.

      The key, I think, may be to get a look at the city information in the city directories from 1872 forward and see if it can be determined if the name for the older Pond St. changed, when it did and what it became if anyone has access to these.

      Maybe someone with a NEHGS subscription can take a look at their databases & see if they have these directories or some maps of the city a few later than the 1870 maps which all cut-off too far north.

      Linda

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@...> wrote:

      > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a listing for my Benjamin K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd. Social Village.
      >
      > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee Street in Woonsocket.  Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near Logee St. though.  I did a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill.  Its a 355' hill in Georgiaville.  It looks like that is where Mount St. Charles School is located.  Does anyone on this list in RI know this area who may know if there is a/was a Pond St. near?
      >
      > Likely street names changed over time, but it is interesting that the Logee Hill is near a pond too.  Just trying to figure out if I am in the right place.
      >

      > Kind Regards,
      > Sandy Johansen

    • miyukichan0987
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 17, 2013
        Just a further thought on Social St. & Social Village which are the north side of the Blackstone R. while Logee Hill Rd. and therefore, the older Pond St. which ran south easterly off Logee Hill Rd (see earlier post of mine).

        Since this is a directory finding, Logee could be where he resided and Social Village, where the mills were, could have been where he worked. Directories I've looked at sometimes will indicated both home and working locations.

        Linda

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "ghostofdali" <ghostofdali@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I bet your area is more near present day Social street, one of the main through streets in the commercial area, probably near the intersection with Cumberland Hill road. I believe that's where Social Village was, it was a mill village. It's a distance away from present day Logee street but it's conceivable that there was a street running from that area up to Logee Hill. I never heard of a Georgiaville in Woonsocket, the one in Smithfield is a long way away and is almost certainly not what you're looking for.
        >
        > good luck,
        > -Glen
        >

        > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a listing for my Benjamin K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd. Social Village.
        > >
        > > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee Street in Woonsocket.  Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near Logee St. though.  I did a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill.  Its a 355' hill in Georgiaville.  It looks like that is where Mount St. Charles School is located.  Does anyone on this list in RI know this area who may know if there is a/was a Pond St. near?
        > >
        > > Likely street names changed over time, but it is interesting that the Logee Hill is near a pond too.  Just trying to figure out if I am in the right place.
        > >

        > > Kind Regards,
        > > Sandy Johansen

      • finnjordan4
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 18, 2013
          There is a Pond Street that runs off of the main one-way street (I thing it's called Social St) that runs through the center of Woonsocket.
          The Registry of Motor Vehicles had/has an office there. I don't know if that helps.
          Mickey

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
            I found this site describing an historic house at Logee Hill

            http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4ZE1_Logee_House_Woonsocket_Rhode_Islan

            They have a map there that shows the location today as Logee Street.
            According to this site, Logee Hill was a land grant from the town of Mendon
            Massachusetts

            to a family named Logee, Huguenots who settled there in 1729. I think we
            can agree that Logee Hill and today's Logee Street are the same. Also,
            Logee Hill is in the

            village of Bernon, while the current Pond Street is in the Village of Social
            - other side of town. I thought maybe Bernon hadn't been established yet so
            maybe the area

            was still part of Social in 1869, but that was not the case. Bernon was
            established in 1827.

            There is a site with information on the villages here

            http://www.woonsocket.org/village.htm

            I agree with Linda below that there must have been an earlier Pond Street,
            that has since been renamed. I looked at the map for the Jillson Ave she
            suggested. If you look

            at the satellite version of Jillson at google maps there appears to be a
            faint path that leads from the pond to the end of Jillson. The land around
            the pond is conservation land,

            so maybe they ended the present day road as on the map to preserve the
            conservation area.

            I also tried looking just for Jillson Av in the Woonsocket directories at
            ancestry.com and although this is not 100%, this street doesn't appear until
            the directories of the 1900's.

            There are some street name changes here - in the 1898 Directory it lists the
            cross streets to Logee. In one section it has Cleveland, Smith, Maple. On
            the current map, the streets are

            Cleveland, Division, Jillson, Maple. Also in 1900 Logee ends at Manville.
            Today, they do not intersect - Logee just kind of dead ends before Manville
            Rd

            My guess is Division was Smith, and Jillson did not exist as a Street. It
            was probably a path that went to the pond, and I'm thinking now that it was
            not an officially named

            street, because they already had a Pond street. In this same directory,
            Pond Street is in the same area it is today, with main cross streets exactly
            the same, although today

            there are a few more cross streets.

            I also could not find a map on line that is early enough for your guy, but

            as I said earlier, try the library - maybe they have one, or have the city
            directories for 1870 and a few years later.

            Lisa

            lisa.lepore2@...

[...]

            From location of the Bernon Cemetery, it seems that it can't be the cemetery
            mentioned in the Pond St. description. Pond is running nsoutheast from Logee
            Hill Rd to a cemetery and the named Bernon Cemetery is on the north side of
            Logee Hill Rd. in the old Bernon Village.

[...]

            95&PIMode=cemetery> &PIcrid=2252579&PIpi=9634895&PIMode=cemetery

            --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
            , SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@...> wrote:

            > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a listing for my Benjamin
            K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd. Social Village.

            > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee Street in Woonsocket.
            Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near Logee St. though. I did
            a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill. Its a 355' hill in
            Georgiaville. It looks like that is where Mount St. Charles School is
            located. Does anyone on this list in RI know this area who may know if
            there is a/was a Pond St. near?

            > Likely street names changed over time, but it is interesting that the
            Logee Hill is near a pond too. Just trying to figure out if I am in the
            right place.

            > Kind Regards,
            > Sandy Johansen

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=22019991/grpspId=1706077073/msgI
            d=7136/stime=1376803392>

          • miyukichan0987
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 19, 2013
              Wow, that house is on the National Register! Hope the tax assessor doesn't realize this or the value & thus the taxes will leap skyward! for the moment it's only valued at $126,200 for tax purposes. I'm thinking it's a rental because the current owner lives in Warwick & inherited it. Nice sized lot, too for being in the city.

              Right now the tax site house the house as built in 1950 although the Waymark site has it at abt. 1729 & having a slate roof. I'm no roofing expert but it sure looks like good ole asphalt shingles to me in the Google maps close-up.

              Pretty interesting. I love looking at historic homes. Thanks for the Waymark link & history.

              Linda

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                Here's the designation from the Nat'l Historic Register website. It was
                place there in 1982. Unfortunately, the file hasn't been digitized yet, so
                no more information than this.

                Hi Linda,

                I don't know what MRA at the end of this line means.

                82000001

                Logee House

                225 Logee St.

                RHODE ISLAND

                Providence

                Woonsocket

                LI

                19821124

                Woonsocket MRA

                I agree that it certainly looks like asphalt shingles - at least the part we
                can see from the photos. However it does look like there is one of those
                "built in xxxx" signs on the front near the door.

                There is nothing to indicate it is on the National Historic register at the
                tax assessor site, so maybe that is why it was able to get an asphalt roof
                with no one asking questions?

                Interesting that the tax assessor site says it has a slate roof also - makes
                you wonder if anyone actually goes out to see these properties... Maybe
                part of roof is still slate?

                Lisa

> [...]

                > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
                > , SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a listing for my Benjamin
                > K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd. Social Village.
                > >
                > > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee Street in Woonsocket.
                > Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near Logee St. though. I
                did
                > a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill. Its a 355' hill in
                > Georgiaville. It looks like that is where Mount St. Charles School is
                > located. Does anyone on this list in RI know this area who may know if
                > there is a/was a Pond St. near?
                > >
                > > Likely street names changed over time, but it is interesting that the
                > Logee Hill is near a pond too. Just trying to figure out if I am in the

              • Linda Peloquin
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                  Occasionally, they finally do. For years the pix of our house was abt. circa 1990 2 colors & 1 roof ago but now there's a recent pix with the color we painted it last summer.

                  The 2005 revaluation for N. Providence was really bad. Everyone had a finished basement whether or not they actually did or not. Personally knowing 3 of the houses & what they are in reality vs what the revaluators put them down for in the way of bedrooms, baths, dens, decks, etc. I've got to wonder if they were high or drunk when they came around that time. There were a ton of appeals that time. I think the whole town got done again in the end because it was easier than hearing all the appeals.

                  Subject: RE: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Logee Hill / Georgiaville
                  To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

                  From: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com
> [...]

                  > , SANDY JOHANSEN <jenny_ologist@> wrote:

                  > > I found an 1869 Woonsocket city directory with a
                  listing for my Benjamin

                  > K. Bennett that read: Pond st., n. Logee Hill Rd.
                  Social Village.

                  > > I searched for Logee Hill Rd. and only found Logee
                  Street in Woonsocket.

                  > Checked the maps and could not find a Pond St. near
                  Logee St. though. I

                  did

                  > a topographical map search and did find Logee Hill. Its
                  a 355' hill in

                  > Georgiaville. It looks like that is where Mount St.
                  Charles School is

                  > located. Does anyone on this list in RI know this area
                  who may know if

                  > there is a/was a Pond St. near?

                  > > Likely street names changed over time, but it is
                  interesting that the

                  > Logee Hill is near a pond too. Just trying to figure

                  removed]