Thurston Cemetery

  • Scott Bill Hirst
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hi!
        Those of us on the Hopkinton Town Council will be discussing tonight Hopkinton Historical Cemetery#17,
       that is a Thurston Cemetery, on Route#3, in Hopkinton, not far from the Hopkinton Town Hall. It has a large
       tree that needs to be removed but the cemetery account does not have enough to cover it.
          The town DOES NOT own the cemetery.  Are any of you descendants of those interred there? A Benjamin Thurston
       was involved in original paperwork probably the noted patent lawyer, I assume?
          In the recent past the Hopkinton Historical Association did a clean up and Gen. George Thurston grave site had a
       ceremony at it which DAR/CAR participated. This clearly is burial place of Jeremiah Thurston first Hopkinton Postmaster and R.I. Lt. Governor. That Jeremiah's son Benjamin Babcock Thurston was Hopkinton's only Member of Congress as one of three Lt. Governors from Hopkinton. The younger Thurston buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery in New London, Connecticut; served in both the Connecticut and Rhode Island General Assemblies.
       Go to town web site to search for agenda: http://www.hopkintonri.org/ . FYI.
      Regards,
      Scott

      Scott Bill Hirst
      20 Maple Court
      Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA
      (401)377-4643/Cell: Quick Response Needed (401)450-6230
      Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.
      Alternate E-Mail: scottbillhirst@...

    • Scott Bill Hirst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2013
        Hi!
         Both Councilor Barbara Capalbo, who is Treasurer of the Hopkinton Historical Association and I
         am a board member recused ourselves in participating in the discussion and voting on this matter. That left only
        three town councilors participating. Mrs. Capalbo and I by virtue on our positions with our local historical association,
        are on the governing board of it.
          These recusals was recommended by our Town Solicitor. I yielded to the Town Solicitor on this, although I do not necessarily
         agree with her reasoning.  The historical association is not the owner of the cemetery.
          As I remember correctly donations can be made to the cemetery account? The tree removal would be quite pricey and
        not covered by the present amount in that cemetery's fund. I recall 200 dollars cannot be touched. For further information
        contact the Town Clerk's office at 401-377-7777 or by e-mail townclerk@... . Town Council meetings can be
         viewed at the town web site http://www.hopkintonri.org/ and also on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/ . The meeting was Monday,
        August 5, 2013. Sharing with our Hopkinton Town Clerk under "Cc:", and others through "Bcc:",.
         In closing, if I am correct, no town funds will be expended as all remaining town councilors did not share the same solution
        from getting them from another town government source.
        Relatively yours,

[...]

        Alternate E-Mail: mailto:scottbillhirst%40gmail.com