Waht was "RAR"? - Good US Army reference book found

  • miyukichan0987
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013
      This morning while looking at an interment form for 1935 on Ancestry, I encountered a note about my person having been furloughed to the "RAR" in 1919 and subsequently honorably discharged in June 1920 on the "abolition" of the "RAR".

      I didn't know but suspected the "RAR" was some sort of reserve service/unit. It was; RAR = Regular Army Reserve.

      In looking for my answer, I found this publication: US Army Order of Battle 1919 - 1941.

      Starting on page 19, it describes each Army Corps area & lists the bases within the area, many of which these days, no longer exist and for which there might not even exist a remaining trace to help locate where they were.

      There's also a section that demystifies the symbolism on those unit patches we all may have noticed on pix of an ancestor in an Army uniform.

      A lot of good background info here for those with questions about what the US Army was like & it's organization back in the ancestor's day.

      http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/csipubs/OrderOfBattle/OrderofBattle1.pdf