Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Experience with Social Security Death Listings - Beware

  • Linda Peloquin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
      I feel snarly on Nancy's behalf...too bad voodoo "dolls" don't really work or I'd make one of the building that houses that department of the SSA & put it out in the backyard under the bird feeders so my feathered friends could poop all over it!

      Another money grubbing trend we've been discussing in another genealogy list I'm in is the cost of vital certificates.

      My direct experience had been with DC's.

      A few years back, I got a new primary care doctor and she is an advocate of what she calls a "Health Risk Assessment File" to help facilitate proactive health care & look for trends in diseases that were causes of death for a significant number of blood relations.  Not just the standard questions about what you might remember or think people in the family had or died from but documentation by, usually, the attending physician.  Much better than I think aunt so & so died from an infection.

      Naturally, for this you need any & all DC's of blood relations you can get; the more directly related the better.

      Getting the DC for my 2gr-grandmother was the first time I'd encountered a legal "mugging" by a town clerk - for the record, not in RI where they're certainly no slouches in the fee & tax department but this time over in NY.

      Where my 2gr-grandmother died, they have 2 kinds of DC's, 3 of you count copies of the actual page in the town record books that you can sometimes get if you specify that's what you want:  Standard/certified which cost $10 each and then genealogical which cost $22 each.   I'm sure everyone knows where this is going.

      By the time I was starting to build my "Health Risk Assessment File", I already KNEW all the genealogy stuff on my 2gr-grandmother - DOB, DOD, husbands, where 2gr-grandma died & was buried, the names of her parents, etc.

      The one thing I was interested in from the DC was her cause of death.

      The city clerk where my 2gr-grandma had died INSISTED the DC was for genealogical purposes and therefore either I forked over $22 for the higher priced genealogical copy or I wasn't getting the DC.

      Well, my 2gr-grandma  was a direct ancestor so, I sucked it up and sent double the amount I should have paid just so I could find out what her cause of death had been.

      I was so pi**ed off!  I still get cranky thinking about the extortion.

      I've learned back in the spring  the DODs/death locations for her daughters who were my gr-grandfather's sisters and all the other basic genealogy stuff one would hope to get from a DC.

      Now what I'd really like to find out for my health records are their causes of death however, those ladies were my gr-aunts, only laterally related by blood.

      And unfortunately, they died in the same city as their mother, my 2gr-grandmother.  I'll be damned if I'm going to be extorted again, this time around to the tune of  $44 for 2 genealogical DCs when these are for my health records and I should only be being charged $20 for the pair!

      Like you said, "They must think money grows on trees!"

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
        It certainly is, after all these years I was moving along nicely at $27.00
        and could receive the parents names, now I can't. Awful.

        NJ

        Gee whiz, what a shame. They must think money grows on trees.It is ever so
        frustrating to be taken advantage of.

        Mary

        > Why would I spend $20-$25 per certified copy from a Town Hall, then
        > send those and the $27.00 to Social Security? Well this was a
        disappointment.

        > Just wanted to let you all know, this happened to me this week.
        >

        > Nancy-Jo Nunez

        Be sure to check and use the Files, Links, Photos, and Database features on
        your visits to our RI_Ancestors Web site There is a lot of information there
        and more being added daily

        For the benefit of those who cannot access our Yahoo site we have a Mirror
        site for the File, Links, and Databases
      • Nancy-Jo Nunez
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
          I feel for you and you know what? This is what I've heard consistently about any city in New York state so I've purposely stayed away from it, a dead end. I refuse to deal with New York at any cost.

          Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

          NJ