Finding Free Information in Old Newspapers

  • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 10:48 AM
      In my scanning yesterday, I found a Free site (link below) for Newspaper Archives and Directories. It is searchable by state and or county. As far as Directories go, most where long past the dates I was looking for. Each state is searchable for newspapers and Directories.

      I happened to find the death Notice for my great grandmother published in her original hometown vs where she was living at the time of her death. Another way to obtain information on ancestors.

      https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa.

      She was born on Barnstable, Massachusetts. I chose that page, found the Newspaper archived for the time frame for her death and up it came
      I had not been able to locate the death entry in RI where she died.

      Death entries do not give all the facts of an obituary, but she died 1885. So was happy to find the entry for free.

      Mary