Re: [RI_Ancestors] WE RELATE.ORG

  • finnjordan4
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2013
      Thanks Mary! This must be discovery day. I was researching a WWI person when I came across Genealogy Trails.
      I clicked RI, in the left column, and found my soldier (buried in France). Rhode Island has very limited info in many of
      the topics but none-the-less, interesting. They could use some help/volunteers as well as "stories"/data but has
      promise.
      Mickey

      On 05/06/13, mjbarnett23@... wrote:

      Hello,

      Ran across a free site called We Relate.org. Free to join. I did not join yet. I was able to scroll thru many last names. It is part of Wiki, but I been searching for a while and never came across the site.

      You can make the search as specific as you want or as minimal as you would like. It gives you sometimes all the information or minimal information on a single person also the name of the person who is searching for more on the family. I am not saying it's for everyone but we never know where ancestors will show.

      http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Special:Search (this is the main search page)

      Click home to find information regarding the site

      Good luck,

      Mary
    • Bill Wright
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2013
        Mary,

        Thank you for this link.

        I have been reservedly using werelate.org for a couple of years.

        It appears to be working the way it is supposed to work. The large
        family tree upload sites, ancestry, familysearch and rootsweb, etc., are
        full of undocumented garbage trees. I refuse to upload my data to these.

        But with werelate if you upload bad information, it will be corrected by
        someone else and documentation will be given.

        It is also free, so you don't have to pay exorbitant fees to use it.

        If someone changes one of the pages I am watching on werelate, I get an
        email. If the changes are bad data, I can correct it.

        There is another family tree site in wiki format, but the person
        creating a page has to allow you to access their page. This one has bad
        data on it. I don't remember the site name, since I quickly gave up on
        it when I found a lot of erroneous data and the persons who created the
        pages couldn't understand that they had copied undocumented bad information.

        If you want to post your family trees on line, werelate is the way to go.

        Bill Wright
      • I
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2013
          Bill, Thanks
          based on your recommendation I am trying it out this morning
          I had seen persons that would "pop up" in search of werelate
          but I had never entered any before.... so I decided to upload
          a small gedcom to try it out
          thanks for your guidance

          jean

          Mary,

          Thank you for this link.

          jeanhaverhill@...

          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2013
            Me too. I took a quick look last nite and will probably start a tree there. I've hit a brick wall with my German ancestors so this may help.

            Thanks Bill.

            Bob A.

          • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2013
              Hi Bill,

              Glad to share anything I find.I am interested in putting my tree on there too. I like the idea of having the ability to contact other people and also to see information without paying big fees. Right now my annual fee is not exorbitant but I have yet to connect with anyone who has something I don't already have, most as you say just copy one to another.

              Mary