Union Cemetery, North Smithfield

  • finnjordan4
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
      Mary, I took my first trip to Union Cemetery today. As many times as I have driven past it I never knew that was the name.
      I took some pictures for someone that is searching their family roots and then I strayed off into the woods. There are, I would have to say, more than 20, maybe more than 30 markers/stones in the woods. So many Aldrich stones. It does appear (and I'm guessing it's Boy Scouts) that there is some attempt to clean/clear some of the area. Needs lots of work. I don't know, but I sure hope, someone has recorded the many different stones out there.
    • Jim Fisher
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
        If you are referring to the Union Cemetery near Easton then I can share with you that the Easton Historical Society is attempting to improve this private burial ground. Not too long ago some vandals tipped over many of the stones and broke others. Tragic. The cost to repair the damage is estimated at $50,000. There are index records taken in 1978 now held in the digital vaults of the LDS FamilySearch site. There is a helpful member who can help with lookups.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
          Hi Jim,
          I don't know about "Easton", I was at Union Cemetery on 146A in North Smithfield. In the woods there were two areas that have been raked and grass is growing around some stones. There
          is an awful lot of work to be done out there. The main part of the cemetery seems very well kept.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
            Hi Mickey,

            Yes those Aldrich stones are recorded, it is Called Union Cemetery Annex it encompasses 3 burial grounds.

            Union Cemetery [NS007]
            Old Aldrich Burial Ground [NS031]
            Old Town Burial Ground [NS036]

            This area does not belong to the Union Cemetery Corporation.
            It is difficult to determine which stones belong to which cemetery. This "Annex" consists of row upon row of stones with only a few family plots listed. There are 209 burials with 135 inscriptions from 1807 to 1992 and 206 have been recorded by the RI Historical Cemetery
            transcriptions. "Someone is working on it"

            Across the street from there is a Friends Meeting house, looks like a white church, on the south side of the house is a large burial place for Friends burials.

            Location: northeast of Great Rd. Directly across from Union Cemetery (N. Smithfield), and adjacent to Quaker meeting house, which is still in use. Congregation dates to 1719.

            99 burials with 59 inscriptions from 1795 to 1909
            [Number of burials recorded is actual number of identified graves. There are an estimated 150 additional unmarked graves.]

            I have given thought to my Luke and Elizabeth being buried there without a marker. It was and still is very common for Quakers not to have grave stones. I have been to a cemetery in Maine for Quakers where there was a whole hill edged with white stones and only one
            large grave stone in the center with no inscription on it. I have to say I felt an eeriness, when I was there.

            Mary

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
              I would feel the same way.
              I wondered about a close by church. I know Mary Mowry was very active with the Union Meeting House/Church. The one on the corner of Burlingame and Route 5 in
              Smithfield. I know many of the Mowry stones at Union are part of their family too.

              Thanks for all the info on Union Cemetery. I also went out last week and took some pics at a Lincoln Historical Cemetery in someone's backyard.
              It is sad the condition of some of these rest places. Then I stop and think of Italy.....every so many years they dig up the remains to make room
              for more.

              My husband is going to start working with the RI Historical Cemetery group from Smithfield; cleaning cemeteries and repairing stones. So far as I can see they
              are a good responsive group.
              Okay, off to do more research for myself. For the time I spend and what I end up with, I think I should change to a different line in the family....not much luck
              looking for my Rachel and Nelson (birth and marriage). I will check out if Greenville Library has access to some data base of microfilms that may contain
              a hint in Foster and/or Kent. If not, off to RIHS sometime.