Beginners Genealogy Workshop Greenville RI Library

  • finnjordan4
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
      If anybody knows someone interested in starting to learn about genealogy the Greenville Public Library, May 2013 Newsletter:
      "BEGINNER'S GENEALOGY WORKSHOP
      presented by the Rhode Island Genealogical
      Society. Program on Saturday, May 11 at 11:00 a.m.
      to 1:00 p.m. Registration is required. Call 949-3630
      ext. 1 to register, or sign-up on our on-line calendar at
      www.yourlibrary.ws"
    • Joanne Davis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
        Thank You

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013
          welcome :)

          From: finnjordan4 <finnjordan4@...>

          To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
            Is anyone familiar with the records of St. Paul’s Episcopal church records which are now at the U. of RI? Are they possibly now online somewhere? Jim

          • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
              Hi Jim,

              Just checked with URI website. Even if they were part of the college
              archived database, you would need a student ID to get into them. Now it could be different if you went down there( not sure where you live)
              This may help you getthe answer your question.

              Reference & Research Help
              Five Ways to Get Research Help

              Spring 2013

              Visit us at the
              Info & Research Help Desk
              Mon-Thu 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
              Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
              Sat 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
              Sun 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm

              Call Us
              (During Info & Research Help Desk Hours)

              (401) 874-2653

              Chat With Us
              (During Info & Research Help Desk Hours)

              URILibrarian
              AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
              or Click Here to Start

              Text Us
              (During Info & Research Help Desk Hours)

              265010
              Start your message with URILibrarian:
              For example, URILibrarian:Your message here.

              Email Us
              (After Regular Hours)

              urilibrarian@...

              (Please allow 1-2 business days for a response)

              Mary

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                Hi Jim,

                I don’t think any of these archives are on line, but there is a page that describes them, so you will know which ones to ask for if you can

                get yourself to URI

                http://www.uri.edu/library/special_collections/registers/churches/msg94.xml

                Lisa

                lisa.lepore2@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Just remember, if you do go down to URI, the parking is a nightmare. So is getting away from campus at certain times of the day, usually mid - late afternoon is when I've caught the traffic.

                  There's visitor parking but a large portion of it is shared as it is designated for faculty, staff and visitors. These lots are on the campus parameters.

                  There are some very tiny spots of visitor parking on the campus but I've never found a spot in one of those when I needed it.

                  On the plus side, spring semester is ending so things will be less busy and more parking in the shared lots should open up as well as the few visitor spots on the campus.

                  There are shuttle buses but I don't know how good they are. Being an impatient sort & not wanting to stand around cooling my heels, I've always made the hike to where ever I was going on campus. Good exercise whether you need it or not since it's almost impossible to avoid an uphill trudge either coming or going.

                  Plan accordingly if you go. The end of regular semesters and the smaller summer semester student population may be advantageous from a parking & traffic standpoint but it could also mean different hours for the library.

                  Parking map:
                  http://www.uri.edu/home/visitors/Map/KingstonParkingMap.pdf

                  Linda

                  --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "mjbarnett23@..." <mjbarnett23@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Jim,
                  >
                  > Just checked with URI website. Even if they were part of the college
                  > archived database, you would need a student ID to get into them. Now it could be different if you went down there( not sure where you live)
                  > This may help you getthe answer your question.
                  >

                  > Reference & Research Help
                  > Five Ways to Get Research Help
                  >
                  > Spring 2013
                  >
                  > Visit us at the
                  > Info & Research Help Desk
                  > Mon-Thu 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
                  > Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
                  > Sat 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
                  > Sun 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm
                  >
                  > Call Us
                  > (During Info & Research Help Desk Hours)
                  >
                  > (401) 874-2653
                  >
                  > Chat With Us
                  > (During Info & Research Help Desk Hours)
                  >
                  > URILibrarian
                  > AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
                  > or Click Here to Start
                  >
                  > Text Us
                  > (During Info & Research Help Desk Hours)
                  >
                  > 265010
                  > Start your message with URILibrarian:
                  > For example, URILibrarian:Your message here.
                  >
                  > Email Us
                  > (After Regular Hours)
                  >
                  > urilibrarian@...
                  >
                  > (Please allow 1-2 business days for a response)
                  >
                  > Mary
                  >

                  > --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Fisher" <fish9111@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Is anyone familiar with the records of St. Paul’s Episcopal church records which are now at the U. of RI? Are they possibly now online somewhere? Jim

                • Charlie Carpenter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                    No. Kingstown Library has quite a bit of information on St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in the South County Room located in the lower level.

                    Charlie C

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                      Thanks, Linda. It's a fair walk from Albuquerque but I think I might like it. One of my errant Fishers was married at St. Paul's when it was in North Providence. Marvin (or Martin) Waite Fisher, b abt 1780 married Harriet T Braid on Dec 26th, 1823. I can't find his birthday or spelling of his name. Confirming his parents as Asahel Coburn Fisher and Anna Borden would be an added nice fact.

                      I'm surprised and a little disappointed that more history files are being tucked behind gates requiring membership and fees. Photo fees? My kudos to the LDS church for keeping most records accessible to the public and are actively digitizing their files. I'll gather my names and the RI addresses ad hike out there now that the leaves are out. A pretty State with great food.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
                        Hi Jim,

                        James Arnold, Vol 19 RI Marriages A-G list:
                        BRAID, Harriet and Marvin W. Fisher, at St Paul's Church, Pawt. by Rev. Mr. Taft, Dec. 25, 1823
                        Mickey

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 23, 2013
                          I am terribly sorry I missed the event.Personal matters prevented me from attending. I hope that was not an inconvenience. I will look for another at a better time.
                          Again I apologize.
                           Joann

                          From: finnjordan4 <finnjordan4@...>

                          To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com