Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Tricky search

  • Jim Fisher
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
      Thanks, again, Mickey.

      Barzillai is a bit uncommon given name just about anywhere which, as you know, makes people hunting easy. Barzillai N I found and later read that he was lost at sea. The family as well as many of Edgartown residents were sailors. I could never find any connection to these Fishers and my line. And, interestingly, I never found a connection with that line and all the Dedham, MA, Fisher who flooded the history books back then. (Four bothers who first landed in New England and are considered the progenitors of the line. Anyone proving a connection is granted membership in the Order of the Cincinnati. But I think I've found that my Fisher arrived two years earlier and landed near Plymouth in 1626. The Bay Colony had moved inland and this Fisher then moved down to what is now Bristol County. Rumor has it that he was literate and scribe to Roger Williams. His home later became Tiverton and then Little Compton. Most searchers then pick up James Fisher and Mary Jennings in LC and our line shows up beginning with Barzillai Sr. His two siblings are lost as well: Lydia and William both given names later in our line. As the apparent leader of this fair-weather Fisher clan, I can find little to substantiate our claim to Rhode Island as our home state.

      On Apr 22, 2013, at 7:17 PM, finnjordan4@... wrote:

      Hi Jim,

      What little I could do from here, and you may already have all of this...

      1850 James O appears on the Windham County Connecticut Census
      1860 and 1900 Census in Nebraska, Dakota

      What follows is a cut and paste from

      Edgartown, MA..............

      The 1850 Census of Edgartown, MA
      compiled by Richard L. Pease, Ass't Marshall
      The following transcription was made from the enumerator's copy of the 1850 census of Dukes County, Mass.,
      which can be found in the archives of the Martha's Vineyard Historical Society. It differs from the Federal copy in
      that Pease recorded the birthdate of each person enumerated in the census.
      (1) 'Dwelling-houses numbered in the order of visitation.'
      (2) 'Families numbered in the order of visitation.'
      (3) 'The name of every person whose usual place of abode on the first day of June, 1850, was in this family.'
      (4) 'Age.'
      (5) 'Sex.'
      (6) 'Color.'
      (7) 'Profession, Occupation, or Trade of each Male Person over 15 years of age.'
      (8) 'Value of Real Estate owned.'
      (9) 'Place of Birth.'
      (10) 'Married within the year.'
      (11) 'Attended School within the year.'
      (12) 'Persons over 20 y'rs of age who cannot read or write.'
      (13) 'Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, idiotic, pauper, or convict.' Note that days are in the format month / day / year.

      Page 12 08/03/50
      69 89 Mary Adlington 10 F Edgartown, MA N Y N 03/14/40
      James Fisher 27 M Mariner Edgartown, MA N N N 02/04/23
      Sarah F. Fisher 21 F Edgartown, MA N N N 01/21/29
      124 161 Richard B. Marchant 47 M Mariner 800 Edgartown, MA N N N 02/20/03
      Margaret Marchant 47 F Edgartown, MA N N N 03/18/03
      Edgar W. Marchant 8 M Edgartown, MA N Y N 03/07/42
      Harriet R. Fisher 20 F Edgartown, MA N N N 11/07/29
      162 Catharine Fisher 65 F Edgartown, MA N N N 05/26/85
      Thomas N. Fisher 31 M Mariner Edgartown, MA N N N 03/08/19
      Barzillai N. Fisher 37 M Mariner 250 Edgartown, MA N N N 06/22/12

      Only the first three names are from pg 12, others from other pages. I tried to line them up, lol.
      Don't know if it helps or if you already have this info. If not, maybe Cape Cod is a hint to something.

      I will check James Oscar Fisher at the library too.

      Mickey

      On 04/22/13, Jim Fisher wrote:

      Thanks, Mary.

      I know a lot about James O Fisher but little can be verified except his

      death in Dakota City, NE. Parts are very interesting and, if for my own

      edification, repeat what I know. James claims to have been born, via most

      census data, in Blackstone; grew up in Killingly CT the son of Welcome

      Fisher (the son of Barzillai Jr, gson of Barzillai Sr) all of Killingly or

      Windham Co area villages. James is listed as a lawyer in Smithsfield in the

      1850 census but I've found that he left in 1852 with a number of Rhode

      Islanders on a ship for San Francisco and the gold fields. A fascinating

      trip around Cape Horn. James had an older brother, Erastus Bartlett Fisher

      who was born in 1825 and lost to history after 1850. The Fisher brothers are

      first cousins to another Erastus Fisher who began a cotton mill in the town

      named after him, Fisherville, south of Gloucester. All of the Fishers prior

      to James O were farmers. How he became a lawyer, his practice in Smithfield

      where must have had a partner, and the migration to the Gold Fields is

      fascinating history to me and, I suspect, to others. He returned to

      Smithfield and Killingly with gold, married a Mary Dutton, and left to join

      Mary's brother in the Dakota Territory now Nebraska. He was a territorial

      governor, first school board president, and represented NE in their quest

      for statehood. Granted, this is all very personal but when I walked into

      the history and genealogical society's offices I found little. Even the New

      England History and Genealogical Society had nothing. One researcher I hired

      mentioned this: "We know only about half of the old residents of New England

      as many records were purged and only the rich could afford stones."

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi Jim,

        I 'm glad to hear someone else who has heard records of Early New England have been purged. I have been convinced of that for a long time. I have been searching records on a family of Jillsons (of which there are many) in this area of RI and Massachusetts. Some appear everywhere and my particular family in my direct line is just listed as perhaps here, perhaps born there. The archives in RI, nothing before 1853. The parents and all but two of the eight children died before 1861.

        I am hoping to get more answers on that issue when I go to the historical society.

        Good luck with your search. If I can do anything let me know.

        Mary

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Fisher" <fish9111@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, Mary.
        >

        > I know a lot about James O Fisher but little can be verified except his
        > death in Dakota City, NE. Parts are very interesting and, if for my own
        > edification, repeat what I know. James claims to have been born, via most
        > census data, in Blackstone; grew up in Killingly CT the son of Welcome
        > Fisher (the son of Barzillai Jr, gson of Barzillai Sr) all of Killingly or
        > Windham Co area villages. James is listed as a lawyer in Smithsfield in the
        > 1850 census but I've found that he left in 1852 with a number of Rhode
        > Islanders on a ship for San Francisco and the gold fields. A fascinating
        > trip around Cape Horn. James had an older brother, Erastus Bartlett Fisher
        > who was born in 1825 and lost to history after 1850. The Fisher brothers are
        > first cousins to another Erastus Fisher who began a cotton mill in the town
        > named after him, Fisherville, south of Gloucester. All of the Fishers prior
        > to James O were farmers. How he became a lawyer, his practice in Smithfield
        > where must have had a partner, and the migration to the Gold Fields is
        > fascinating history to me and, I suspect, to others. He returned to
        > Smithfield and Killingly with gold, married a Mary Dutton, and left to join
        > Mary's brother in the Dakota Territory now Nebraska. He was a territorial
        > governor, first school board president, and represented NE in their quest
        > for statehood. Granted, this is all very personal but when I walked into
        > the history and genealogical society's offices I found little. Even the New
        > England History and Genealogical Society had nothing. One researcher I hired
        > mentioned this: "We know only about half of the old residents of New England
        > as many records were purged and only the rich could afford stones."

      • finnjordan4
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 23, 2013
          Hi Jim,
          I am not at the library today......
          Is it Welcome S. Fisher b:1800-1801
          d:1878

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 25, 2013
                Hi, I did check a bit on the Vital Record of RI but the only James Fisher I came up with was Cumberland - Births and Deaths, Fisher, James Oct 16, 1764. Sorry, but I will keep my eyes opened in the future and if I see anything will pass it on.