Re: records of militia - vice continental army - and no pension

  • ghostofdali
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
      Hi,

      I don't know how much you already know about this person, but a good starting place if you only know that he was a Captain in a militia would be "The Civil and Military Lists of Rhode Island" by Joseph Jencks Smith. It's in two volumes, 1647-1800 and 1800-1850. There's also a separate index published, and in it I do see a few pages referring to a William Snow. This would at least tell you whether or not he was a Captain and perhaps show you how he rose in rank over the years, and what companies he was involved with. Vol. 1 is available on google books for free. What time period are you looking at?

      -Glen

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "chibiinu1" <cynthia.matsumoto@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to find out about Capt William Snow - in particular - served from Providence Rhode Island - it's my understanding that he did not have a pension - but was from the state militia - not sure how to look that up - since there weren't "states" at the time - But i know what is meant - Rhode Island militia -

    • chibiinu1
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
        I'm surprised and grateful to receive a response on my post. I'm going to see if I can find "The Civil and Military Lists of Rhode Island" by Joseph Jencks Smith. That sounds like it would be really helpful.

        Just to share - I have the following from papers I received from the Chattanooga, TN library.

        I'm related to his son John who was born in Providence - and married Mary Wanton Thurston in Newport and then they both moved to Ohio.

        What I have on Capt William Snow Jr - is the following born 28 Dec 1752 in Lunanberg, MA - Died 25 Oct 1828 in Providence Rhode island. Married (20 June 1779) to Susanna Blink Caldwell b 1751 died 09 Nov 1805 in Providence (her maiden name was Blink - and before she married Snow she had married a David Caldwell of Newport. Snow's second wife was Marcy Sprague (1768 - 22 Apr 1841)

        William Snow was baptised 20 July 1783

        They were married at the Benificent St Congregational Church by Joseph Snow.

        His house is on Benefit Street with the plaque William Snow it - (up the hill from the Cathedral of St JOhn ) based on information by a Dr. Farnham in 1975.

        As far as his military record is concerned the family research papers that i have state th following

        We tried to secur information on Capt Snow's military record as he is reported to have been "A Captain in the Revolution." The Military Records in the National Archives has no record of him, but he is called "Capt." on his tombstone, and the family record. Dr. Farnham concludes that he was an officer in the state militia, and in fact is so listed. The bi-centennial year, 1976, the Swan point cemetery has put a Revolutionary War plaque on his grave.

        Concerning the grave citations, Dr. Farnham says (29 Jan. 1976),

        "I have found the gravestone of Capt William Snow who died 25 Oct. 1832 at 80 years, which would make his birthyear in 1752. Capt. William is buried in Swan Point Cemetery of Providence. Thanks to the cemetery office, I located his grave and found these inscriptions: 'In memory of Capt. William Snow, who departed this live Oct. 25, 1832 in the 80th year of his age. Sacred to the memory of Mrs. March snow who died April 22, 1841, aged 73 years. In memory of Mrs. Susan Snow, wife of William Snow, in patient submission to the Divine will. She departed her live Nov. 9, 1805 in the 54th year of her age'". Mr Farnham has provided a snapshot of the Snow Gravestones.

        That's what the paragraph says, but I don't have a picture of the gravestones.

        Then it goes on and discusses his will.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
          Thanks - I'm trying to figure out how to work it - but it looks full of info - i'm so use to collections on line - this will be a learning experience.

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Lepore" <lisa.lepore2@...> wrote:

          > Rhode Island Historical Society has this collection
          >

          > http://www.rihs.org/mssinv/MSS673sg7.htm
          >

          > Lisa

        • Arlan
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
            Google has the book you are looking for, I have a copy of it on my computer that I downloaded some time ago
            If I remember correctly one of my great aunts married a Snow, I will look that up and let you know the details

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22, 2013
              Yes, that is a description of the collection they own. You would have to go
              there to actually see the items.

              Sometimes though you might find some of the items have been digitized and
              placed on line by other sites, so you

              could run a search for the items in the collection and see if they pop up
              somewhere.

              Lisa

              lisa.lepore2@...

              --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                Just re-read your message and want to add -

                You have Lunanberg, MA for birth of William Snow. That should be Lunenburg
                [Worcester County] Massachusetts.

                Also, John Snow in Ohio - The government gave military bounty land to Rev.
                War soldiers in Ohio. I was thinking he could have

                gotten land this way by inheriting it from William, but I looked at the
                database at ancestry.com called U.S. War Bounty Land Warrants, 1789-1858 and
                did not find them there.

                There are warrants that are missing, though, so it's still a possibility.
                You can read more about this database here

                http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1165

                Perhaps you can find out if John was living on land that was part of the
                military district that was used as the bounty land.

                Lisa

                lisa.lepore2@...

                wrote:

                > > I'm trying to find out about Capt William Snow - in particular - served
                from Providence Rhode Island - it's my understanding that he did not have a
                pension - but was from the state militia - not sure how to look that up -
                since there weren't "states" at the time - But i know what is meant - Rhode
                Island militia -

              • finnjordan4
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                  Anything in particular? If you just google Captain William Snow Militia there is a lot that "pops" up.