Re: [RI_Ancestors] Smithfield vs Central Falls

  • Gloria Silverman
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
      Oh sorry--I just wanted to make sure I had it written down right. :-) Thank you, Don.
      From: Linda Peloquin <mailto:miyukichan0987%40yahoo.com <mailto:miyukichan0987%40yahoo.com> >
      To: mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 2:05 PM

      Granted, discussions of modern day affairs outside of how they might affect genealogical research would be considered political, I'd argue that at least in the historic context of which I was writing, that the discussion on what was once known as the Central Falls Fire District, now the present day politically autonomous City of Central Falls, really isn't political in the sense that's prohibited here but rather helps us all to understand the progression from the original 60 sq mi+ town of Smithfield formed in 1731 through the break-up into 3 towns & a hunk of Woonsocket in 1871 to the final division setting Central Falls off on it's own in 1895.

      In understanding these things of the past and augmenting with whatever old maps one can find, we can then have a better understanding of just where, geographically, the ancestors might have been in certain time periods, what those areas were then known as and where in the present to start looking for possible records.

      Nowadays, I don't know if there is such a thing as a fire district in RI anymore or if it's just something of the past. I do know we have volunteer fire depts. under the town gov't - Scituate has those and full time fire depts. in the more populous cities & towns.

      I don't know how much pull the Central Falls Fire dist. of the 1800's had but I did think it was a rare display of common sense & fairness on the part of the government of the day not to assess all residents for a service - fire fighting - that only one small segment of the town - Central Falls - benefitted from. As for the state of affairs today, because it would be a political discussion & as many who govern today love to say, "No Comment."

      Linda

      Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 1:10 PM

      I find this fire district information very interesting. My brother always talks about the fire districts and how they have the ability to

      set their own rates/fees – separate from the taxes you pay to your town – so they are independent of the town government?

      We probably shouldn’t talk much about this here as it is politics, but I live in Massachusetts and we don’t have such a thing as fire districts.

      Each city and town oversees its own fire protection. Some departments are full time, and others are call, and some are a combination of both,

      but all of them fall within the city/town government.

      You are probably correct about the Central Falls fire district. It seems like these districts might have a lot of political pull – even back then.

      Another Rhode Island oddity, I guess.

      Lisa

      Date: Monday, March 25, 2013, 12:57 PM

      Mickey,

      Thanks for the hint.

      Town of Smithfield records began in 1871 I was told when I called.

      Town Clerk stated records before that date are located in Central Falls.

      Hoping to head there Wednesday.

      Mary

      --- In mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> ,finnjordan4@... wrote:

      > Hi Mary,

      > If I could suggest you call Smithfield with the dates of what you are searching for and they will tell you

      > if it is in their building or at Central Falls. I believe most records (and I can't say all) that are in Smithfield

      > are only from 1867 forward.

      > They are a good crew in Smithfield. 233-1000.

    • Scott Bill Hirst
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2013
        Hi!
         I am related to Lucy through Sprague, Crandall, Tefft,  and Mowry. Sarah Palin is a Thomas Stanton out of Stonington, Connecticut. Joseph Stanton, Jr., one of Rhode Island's first U.S. Senators was a Thomas Stanton descendant.
         I am up to over a dozen Presidents if you go back to 1600's who are kinsman. Not including other celebrities. I have seen Sally Field, who I confess, is a big favorite of mine is a Mott so she would be a distant kinswoman.
         FYI: Mowry and Geer reunion in June. Mowry in R.I., and Geer in Connecticut.

        Alternate E-Mail: scottbillhirst@...

        From: Linda Peloquin <mailto:miyukichan0987%40yahoo.com <mailto:miyukichan0987%40yahoo.com> >

        To: mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>

        From: Lisa Lepore <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com> >

        To: mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>

        Date: Monday, March 25, 2013, 12:57 PM

        Mickey,

        Thanks for the hint.

        Town of Smithfield records began in 1871 I was told when I called.

        Town Clerk stated records before that date are located in Central Falls.

        Hoping to head there Wednesday.

        Mary

        --- In mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> ,finnjordan4@... wrote:

        > Hi Mary,

        > If I could suggest you call Smithfield with the dates of what you are searching for and they will tell you

        > if it is in their building or at Central Falls. I believe most records (and I can't say all) that are in Smithfield

        > are only from 1867 forward.

        > They are a good crew in Smithfield. 233-1000.

      • Nancy-Jo Nunez
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 2, 2013
          Thanks for posting this email Linda...very helpful indeed.

          Nancy-Jo

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com,finnjordan4@... wrote:

          > Hi Mary,
          >
          > If I could suggest you call Smithfield with the dates of what you are
          > searching for and they will tell you if it is in their building or at
          > Central Falls. I believe most records (and I can't say all) that are in Smithfield are only from 1867 forward.
          >
          > They are a good crew in Smithfield. 233-1000.

        • louisabishfaw
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 16, 2013
            Hey Scott, I didn't know that Sally Field was connected, considering how many lines we share I'm sure we share her too. Could you send me what you have on her line for my dad and me?

            Louisa