Re: [RI_Ancestors] SIX PRINCIPLE BAPTISTS

  • Richard Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28 7:38 PM
      My 7th g-grandfather, Rev. Thomas Baker, was the first pastor (about 1710)
      of the Six Principle Baptist church in NK. He is also Bonnie Weber's
      ancestor. Richard Knight wrote the book "History of the General or Six
      Principle Baptists in Europe and America." (1727). It was re-published by
      Arno Press in 1827.

      Richard Baker

      Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

      _____

      From: Lisa Lepore <lisa.lepore2@... <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com>

      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 11:33 AM

      Hi Mickie,

      This certainly looks like Benjamin's wives! Your message reminded me that
      when I was looking through

      my old mail for Scituate reservoir information, I found some information
      about Elder Richard Knight in RI

      who was a Six Principle Baptist minister. His name jumped out when I was
      reading, but it may just be a coincidence.

      If Julia was Baptist, maybe there are church records for Northampton area.

      In 2004, this information was posted to the RI list by Laurie4756@...
      <mailto:Laurie4756%40aol.com>

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~rigenweb/Scituate.html

      An Historical Address delivered in Scituate, R. I., July 4, 1876, at the
      request of the Town Authorities, by C. C. Beaman Phenix: Capron & Campbell,
      Steam Book & Job Printers, 1877.

      "The Six Principle Baptist Church, according to a sermon of Richard Knight,
      one of their elders, preached in 1727, was constituted in 1725, received a
      grant of an acre of land and built a meeting house upon it, reserving a part
      of the land for a burial place. This was about the centre of town. In
      August, 1827, Samuel Fiske was ordained pastor, and Benjamin Fiske, deacon
      of the society. The services were performed by Elders Brown, Morse and
      Martin. James Colvin was ordained colleague with Elder Fiske about 1738.
      Elder Colvin died in 1755, and the church was without a pastor until July 8,
      1762, when Reuben Hopkins was ordained elder, and the church prospered under
      the able and useful ministry of their 'nourishing pastor'. A reformation
      commenced and continued several years, and numbers were added to the church.
      In 1821 they built a new and larger meeting-house on the same spot, which is
      still standing and in use.

      Elder Jacques is the present preacher and the meetings are regularly held.
      This church and ministry has doubtless exerted a very great and beneficial
      influence upon the town."

      Unfortunately, the link here is no longer active.

      Lisa

      From: "finnjordan4@...4
      <mailto:finnjordan4%40verizon.netfinnjordan4>
      From: mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>