RE: [RI_Ancestors] Fre Can Research/Lisa from the Foster, Scituate, Providence thread

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hi Linda,

      Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the communes of France which have started to

      put their records on line. My Gaboriault is from Gironde, and they have records here: http://gael.gironde.fr/

      I don’t think they are complete, but there are a number of parishes and towns.

      This website has a list of the communes, and when you choose yours, it will take you to the site of the

      commune. You can select from the list, but they also have a map with each commune numbered that you

      can click on. Another page at that site explains the different series of civil records and what they contain

      http://www.archivosgenbriand.com/series_arch_english.html

      If your commune is Morbihan, they have records from the 16th century to 1792, the census from 1793 to 1912

      They also have a ton of newspapers, but I didn’t check the dates on those. If these records are too late for you,

      it would still be interesting to see if there are any others with the same family name, or if they all left.

      My guy is listed in the Fichier Origine, but they haven’t connected him to any records in France. I check there

      from time to time, over the years but nothing has turned up. His parents’ names are from his marriage record

      in Quebec.

      My newly found family was living in New Jersey for a few years – Jersey City. I don’t know why

      he went there – presumably for work, but possibly to get away from the family. There was some kind of

      argument when he was young, and he changed his last name from Gaumond to Gilmore, and moved out.

      I’ve decided to try to get to the AFGS more regularly. They are open on Tuesday night till 9, which is a good time for

      me now, but when I was working I could never get there, so I got out of the habit of going. I forgot how much

      data they have there, and the people are very helpful also.

      We talked about the unemployment thing last year, and here we are a year later….

      I’m glad this list has picked up. Another helpful and fairly active list is the Quebec-Research@... The people

      there will do lookups and translations if you need them.

      Lisa

      From: Lisa Lepore <lisa.lepore2@... <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com> >
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 1:15 AM

      Thanks for the update on all the sites. I can’t afford a world subscription to ancestry.com – still unemployed….

      I’ve gotten my paternal grandmother’s Gaboriault family back to France. I search in France periodically now that they

      are starting to put some of their records on line, but it is pretty slow going between the poor quality of some of the records

      and the wretched handwriting on others. They are not indexed in any way, so it means reading through page by page.

      I have a subscription to the PRDH, and that is great to use. If you find your people in there, then you can go to the LDS and

      get the record easily, most of the time. I agree it is difficult to locate the correct parish at LDS sometimes, and yes there

      can be differences in the government copy and the parish record.

      with the PRDH as well. This link from their page tells what they have on the site in English. http://www.genealogiequebec.com/outils.aspx

      It’s a great site because they also have more recent information. I had a free trial to this site a while back, but I don’t have a subscription now.

      Your message made me laugh – when I have agita with my fc families, I do the opposite and try to help people on the lists with their problems in RI and in the parts

      of Massachusetts I know about.

      Lisa

      From: Lisa Lepore <lisa.lepore2@... <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com> <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com> >
      Subject: RE: [RI_Ancestors] Foster, Scituate, Providence
      To: RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 1:44 AM

      Thanks Mickey, I try to help when I can.

      I have some people in Windham county also. I’m working on them right now. Gaumond from North Grosvenordale. I’ve been

      to the AFGS recently and found some good information, but my people are French Canadian, and they are a little easier to research

      since they [at least my guys] came later, and because they are Catholic there are a lot of church records which have been published.

      I think your Nelson with the 2 death years 1856 & 1886 are likely the same person. The death records at the USGenweb are from headstone

      transcriptions, so it’s easy to see that a 5 and 8 could be misread. It could be an error in the original Hale Collection or an error in the transcription

      of Hale for the website.

      I would try to find the church that Reverend Nelson Jordan was
      affiliated with. If you can find church records, you might be able to find out quite a bit about him.

      One thing your research shows is that you have to get the records on the whole family, not just the direct line. Often you will find information in one person’s record

      that was not on your research target’s record.

      OK, Because I couldn’t resist looking, I found a little article at genealogybank.com about a baptism by immersion of 3 girls in South Killingly CT by Elder Nelson Jordan, Freewill Baptist

      I’ll send it to you.

      Lisa

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 27, 2013
        I tried to see if there were any hints I could find, but no luck.

        I would agree that Northampton is probably Massachusetts. I saw Francis Bennett’s birth record in East Blackstone in

        Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988 at ancestry.com

        I don’t know if you have done this, but if you search the message archives for this list and for the RI list at rootsweb

        there are messages that mention Bennett. It might be worth reading through them to see if any of them look prominsing.

        I saw some when I was looking for information about the Scituate Reservoir.

        There were a few Caryl in the above database that lived in western Massachusetts.

        There is a Mary Caryl born 12 Sept 1870 in Northampton to James & Kate and a Thomas Caryl & Esther who

        had 4 children in Hubbardston 1772-1776. So, maybe worth checking out those families or any others of that name.

        I’m sorry I couldn’t find anything else for you. This looks like one tough bunch.

        Lisa

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 28, 2013
          Do you ever see records of my Ballou family in Acadia?

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 28, 2013
            Hi Mickie,

            This certainly looks like Benjamin’s wives! Your message reminded me that when I was looking through

            my old mail for Scituate reservoir information, I found some information about Elder Richard Knight in RI

            who was a Six Principle Baptist minister. His name jumped out when I was reading, but it may just be a coincidence.

            If Julia was Baptist, maybe there are church records for Northampton area.

            In 2004, this information was posted to the RI list by Laurie4756@...

            http://www.rootsweb.com/~rigenweb/Scituate.html

            An Historical Address delivered in Scituate, R. I., July 4, 1876, at the request of the Town Authorities, by C. C. Beaman Phenix: Capron & Campbell, Steam Book & Job Printers, 1877.

            "The Six Principle Baptist Church, according to a sermon of Richard Knight, one of their elders, preached in 1727, was constituted in 1725, received a grant of an acre of land and built a meeting house upon it, reserving a part of the land for a burial place. This was about the centre of town. In August, 1827, Samuel Fiske was ordained pastor, and Benjamin Fiske, deacon of the society. The services were performed by Elders Brown, Morse and Martin. James Colvin was ordained colleague with Elder Fiske about 1738. Elder Colvin died in 1755, and the church was without a pastor until July 8, 1762, when Reuben Hopkins was ordained elder, and the church prospered under the able and useful ministry of their 'nourishing pastor'. A reformation commenced and continued several years, and numbers were added to the church. In 1821 they built a new and larger meeting-house on the same spot, which is still standing and in use.

            Elder Jacques is the present preacher and the meetings are regularly held. This church and ministry has doubtless exerted a very great and beneficial influence upon the town."

            Unfortunately, the link here is no longer active.

            Lisa

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 28, 2013
              I do not know anything about the Six Principle Baptist Church denomination but they had a church in Wyoming section of Richmond years ago. The building is used for a church but not for that denomination.  It is where three different parts of the Wood River Cemetery is on Route#3 in Richmond. SBH.

              Scott Bill Hirst

              20 Maple Court

              Ashaway,RI 02804-1300 USA

              (401)377-4643/Cell: Quick Response Needed (401)450-6230

              Note:Telephone if you need quick reply.

              Alternate E-Mail: scottbillhirst@...

              From: "finnjordan4@...4 <mailto:finnjordan4%40verizon.netfinnjordan4> @...>

            • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 28, 2013
                Lisa,

                Did some checking last night on Gaumond family. There is a lot there but it would help if we had a birth date of some kind on either person. Nothing to be sure of yet. One thing I should mention when researching in France and Canada. They have a naming system in place that is historical in nature. The boys are all baptized Joseph before their first name and the girls Marie then first name. The eldest son usually has the fathers first name and the girl the mother first name somewhere in their name. Just a hint.

                Are you sure Quebec is the place to search, there where many by that name in New Brunswick also. Will e-mail off list when I find something.

              • SANDY JOHANSEN
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 25, 2013
                  In the 1850 census looking for William Douglass, I found him incorrectly listed as Willam Danglap. Head of household is William Douglas and wife Mary (Reynolds) and their children.  One child Phoebe Victoria Douglass married a Benjamin Bennett II, in Pawtucket RI, hence my interest in these folks as I look for "my Benjamin Bennett".
                  In his household along with wife and children; is a woman {difficult to read name but looks like Sarepta} and her son Pardon Jencks, son of Pardon Jencks, 2nd. according to the census taker.

                  A Pardon Jencks, 2nd. and Henry Jencks are living a few doors away. His occupation is fishmonger so perhaps he was out on a fishing trip and wife and youngest child living with friends????

                  A lookup on Ancestry for Pardon didn't disclose much, but one family tree interestingly did note that a Pardon Jenks was born to Freelove Douglas and William Jenks.

                  Does any of this sound familiar to you?  Possibly Freelove b 1804 was related to the William Douglas b 1799 who was head of the household where Pardon Jenks and mother were living in 1850???