Re: [RI_Ancestors] Re: Underwood and "act of May 1783"

  • I
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2013
      Glen:
      This is excellent research; I would like to learn how you do it.
      Did you find any on computer? Or did you have to go into the archives?
      I have only been to the Mass Archives one trip.

      On the same topic of Loyalists I have a Washburn who was put in jail in Ct/NY

      and in Massachusetts

      a Green(e) ancestral line a woman was hanged for murdering ....
      but I just always assumed that she would not have been hanged had
      her father not "escaped" to Canafda as a Loyalist....

      jean

      jeanhaverhill@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2013
        Thanks so much. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would be out
        there somewhere.

        This is a great find for Jean.

        Lisa

        Please note my new email address:

        lisa.lepore2@...

        --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>

        <http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/detail.php?letter=u&line=11> &line=11

        > It seems that most of the information I find keeps leading back to the
        data
        > bases at
        > the UELAC website.
        >
        > Have you contacted the Newport Historical Society, or the RI Historical
        > Society?
        > They may be of help to you also.
        >
        > Lisa
        > lisa.lepore2@...

      • Jean Brooks
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2013
          Glen:  Words cannot express my thanks for your efforts and this information.   I now realize that John U. must have owned R.KI. property and probably there was a John, Jr.  and John Sr.    Is there any way to learn the first name of the one shown ________Underwood?  Perhaps he was my GGG Grandfather, not the elder John.   Interesting & perplexing.   Jean

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
            Jean,

            Glad to be of assistance. If you wanted to spend some time, you could try to track down if there were any records kept by the Council of War, and if there are records of those meetings check the March 15, 1780 session and see if your ___ Underwood is named there. I don't know of those records in publication, you'd have to find an archive that has the original documents.

            Later on in the book I was looking at, there is a mention of a Joseph Underwood, whose property was apparently transferred in a similar circumstance. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to guess it was him, and a good place to start looking.

            I've got plenty of research of my own to do so I've got nothing else to offer, but I'm sure with some persistence you can find what you're looking for. I'd look at the 1774 census (it's online in a few places) to get some Underwood names, if there are any, and from there check out FamilySearch to see if you come up with some birth, marriage or death records that can link up various children to your John, and from there connect to someone you've already got in your tree.

            good luck,
            -Glen