Re: [RI_Ancestors] RE: Underwood and "act of May 1783"

  • Jean Brooks
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2013
      'Evening.  You were so kind to respond to my Underwood questions.   I may have failed to thank you (have had computer problems).  I have learned a bit more about John A. Underwood.  Found his daughter, Ann's Marriage Cert. as well as her Death Cert.   Ann lived to be 95+  and her Father John lived to be 101!!   I did get a good history lesson about the Loyalists and the first horrible winter that many of them spent at Kingston, N.B.  Freezing & starving was not uncommon;  they lived in tents or flimsy shelters!     I have written Snail Mail to Shediac to learn more about John's last years, death, & place of burial. Hoping to learn more about when his wife, Mary Pierce (Ann's Mother) died in N.B. Am eager and hopeful to receive a response from Shediac records. Again, thank you,      Jean

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2013
        Glad the information was helpful, and that you were able to find the name of Ann’s mother.

        It would be interesting to find out what exactly this Act of May 1783 was all about. It would be great

        to find it to see if it stated exactly what he did, and to see all the others who were banished as well since

        there might be a connection to John or to his wife.

        Hope you get some good news from Shediac – let us know how that turns out.

        Lisa

        Please note my new email address:

        lisa.lepore2@...

        http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/detail.php?letter=u <http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/detail.php?letter=u&line=11> &line=11

        It seems that most of the information I find keeps leading back to the data

        bases at

        the UELAC website.

        Have you contacted the Newport Historical Society, or the RI Historical

        Society?

        They may be of help to you also.

        Lisa

        lisa.lepore2@... <mailto:lisa.lepore2%40gmail.com>

      • I
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2013
          It would be interesting to find out what exactly this Act of May 1783 was all about.

          Peace Treaty 1783

          Congress encouraged states to deal with the properties that had been confiscated from loyalists.
          Many set up committees; "Committee on Revolutionary Claims" I believe was to get the back pay for the militia and those who
          fought the British. I'm not a historian but maybe they got some of the property/land that had been confiscated.

          Massachusetts towns Petitioned the Massachusetts Governor ; Massachusetts authorized "the governor to banish returning tories without a jury trial" Massachusetts Archives Act of July 2, 1783

          It appears that each state would have passed their own Act based on their decisions to follow congress' recommendations.

          jean
          jeanhaverhill@...

          .

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
            Thanks Jean –

            Sounds like this act of May 1783 would have been when Rhode Island banished its Tories, then.

            I was hoping to actually find the act somewhere on line, but I haven’t turned it up yet.

            I’ll look for a Committee of Revolutionary Claims in RI. They probably have information on this at the RI Historical Society.

            I have never done research in this time frame in the US. My people didn’t get here until the late 1800’s.

            jeanhaverhill@... <mailto:jeanhaverhill%40aol.com>

            > Subject: RE:

            > before 1783 as that is when he and his wife, with many other Loyalists,

            .

          • ghostofdali
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
              Hi,

              I looked at Bartlett's Records volume 9, 1780-1783. During the February session of 1783 a report by a special committee to sell confiscated lands. This was probably in response to the federal act allowing states to individually deal with the properties taken from loyalists, many of which had left the state already and lots of whom apparently left their wives and families in RI on those properties with no support. The transcripts of this General Assembly meeting included individual permissions granted to these family members to go to their loyalist husbands (mostly in NY).

              Later on in May, at the next General Assembly meeting, there's direct reference to your John Underwood:

              Whereas, Nicholas Spink and John Underwood, two per-
              sons formerly inhabitants of the town of North Kingstown,
              went over to and joined the enemA*, thereby forfeiting the
              protection of this Assembly, and have lately returned to this
              state without license ; —

              It is therefore voted and resolved, that the sheriff of the
              county of Kent be, and he is hereby, directed to convey the
              said Nicholas Spink and John Underwood on board the first
              vessel which shall sail for New York or Long Island.

              It is further voted and resolved, that neither of the in-
              tendants of trade shall clear out any vessel for New York
              or Long Island, until the master of such vessel shall give
              bond in the penal sum of thirty pounds that he will take on
              board such vessel the said Nicholas Spink and John Under-
              wood, and land them on Long Island, if the said persons
              shall be put on board such vessel.

              And it is further voted and resolved, that if the said Nich-
              olas Spink or John Underwood shall return within this state
              again, without license from this Assembly first had and ob-
              tained, they shall be liable to and suffer the penalties pre-
              scribed by an act of this Assembly for preventing absentees
              and those who have joined the enemies of this state from re-
              turning again.

              And further searching, I found earlier, in Feb. 1780, there is another reference:

              It is voted and resolved, that Ezekiel Tripp, Samuel Lit-
              tlefield and Caleb Arnold, Jr., of Exeter ; Thomas Greene-
              late of Otter Creek, now in Newport; Daniel Briggs (son
              of Ebenezer), of Warwick ; and _____ Underwood (son of
              John), of North Kingstown ; who, having joined the enemy,
              afterwards returned, and are now at large within this state,
              be cited by the proper sheriffs to appear before the council
              of war, at their session, in Providence, on Wednesday, the
              15th of March, A. D. 1780, for examination ; and that the
              council of war take such order with them as they shall
              think proper.

              You can find this text online at the Internet Archive "Records of the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, in New England", volume 9, search it for Underwood or check the index and you'll find these three excerpts. Hope this was helpful,

              -glen

              --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Lepore" wrote:

              > On Page 372 of this book - Biographical Sketches of Loyalists of the
              > American Revolution
              > by Lorenzo Sabine available at google.com it says -
              >
              > joined the enemy... returned to RI but was required to quit it by act of May
              > 1783
              >
              > I don't know much about the revolutionary war period - none of my ancestors
              > were here
              > then, so can someone tell us what was the act of May 1783? Not clear from
              > the above site
              > if it was a RI or a Federal Act. I assume it was something banishing the
              > British supporters
              > from RI, which is why John Underwood went back to New Brunswick on the
              > Union, but I couldn't find
              > anything specific.
              >
              > Also, If he had children, they didn't go with him on the Union. I saw the
              > ship listing
              > from link at this site
              > http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/detail.php?letter=u&line=11
              >
              > It seems that most of the information I find keeps leading back to the data
              > bases at
              > the UELAC website.
              >
              > Have you contacted the Newport Historical Society, or the RI Historical
              > Society?
              > They may be of help to you also.
              >
              > Lisa
              > lisa.lepore2@...

            • I
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2013
                Glen:
                This is excellent research; I would like to learn how you do it.
                Did you find any on computer? Or did you have to go into the archives?
                I have only been to the Mass Archives one trip.

                On the same topic of Loyalists I have a Washburn who was put in jail in Ct/NY

                and in Massachusetts

                a Green(e) ancestral line a woman was hanged for murdering ....
                but I just always assumed that she would not have been hanged had
                her father not "escaped" to Canafda as a Loyalist....

                jean

                jeanhaverhill@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Thanks so much. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would be out
                  there somewhere.

                  This is a great find for Jean.

                  --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>
                  , "Lisa Lepore" wrote:

                  > On Page 372 of this book - Biographical Sketches of Loyalists of the
                  > American Revolution
                  > by Lorenzo Sabine available at google.com it says -
                  >
                  > joined the enemy... returned to RI but was required to quit it by act of
                  May
                  > 1783
                  >
                  > I don't know much about the revolutionary war period - none of my
                  ancestors
                  > were here
                  > then, so can someone tell us what was the act of May 1783? Not clear from
                  > the above site
                  > if it was a RI or a Federal Act. I assume it was something banishing the
                  > British supporters
                  > from RI, which is why John Underwood went back to New Brunswick on the
                  > Union, but I couldn't find
                  > anything specific.
                  >
                  > Also, If he had children, they didn't go with him on the Union. I saw the
                  > ship listing
                  > from link at this site
                  > http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/detail.php?letter=u
                  <http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/detail.php?letter=u&line=11> &line=11

                  > It seems that most of the information I find keeps leading back to the
                  data
                  > bases at
                  > the UELAC website.
                  >
                  > Have you contacted the Newport Historical Society, or the RI Historical
                  > Society?
                  > They may be of help to you also.
                  >
                  > Lisa
                  > lisa.lepore2@...

                • Jean Brooks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 11, 2013
                    Glen:  Words cannot express my thanks for your efforts and this information.   I now realize that John U. must have owned R.KI. property and probably there was a John, Jr.  and John Sr.    Is there any way to learn the first name of the one shown ________Underwood?  Perhaps he was my GGG Grandfather, not the elder John.   Interesting & perplexing.   Jean

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 12, 2013
                      Jean,

                      Glad to be of assistance. If you wanted to spend some time, you could try to track down if there were any records kept by the Council of War, and if there are records of those meetings check the March 15, 1780 session and see if your ___ Underwood is named there. I don't know of those records in publication, you'd have to find an archive that has the original documents.

                      Later on in the book I was looking at, there is a mention of a Joseph Underwood, whose property was apparently transferred in a similar circumstance. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to guess it was him, and a good place to start looking.

                      I've got plenty of research of my own to do so I've got nothing else to offer, but I'm sure with some persistence you can find what you're looking for. I'd look at the 1774 census (it's online in a few places) to get some Underwood names, if there are any, and from there check out FamilySearch to see if you come up with some birth, marriage or death records that can link up various children to your John, and from there connect to someone you've already got in your tree.

                      good luck,
                      -Glen