Re: DEATH CERTIFICATE INFORMATION ADDITION

  • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
      Linda,

      Thanks for your input, that requires a lot of time and work. I was looking for a way to enter them in our database. Like scanning it then uploading the printed sheet to a file or database. That way I thought the onus would be on the person who wants the information vs the time involved in doing it the way you suggested. Still mulling it over, would you partake if it went the database way?

      I'm not even sure we could accomplish that. Just mulling it around.

      Mary

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, Linda Peloquin wrote:

      > Sounds as if you're talking about those pre 1921 ledger style death records.
      >
      > In the past with those as well as some other things I've got, I've sat down and transcribed the info name by name and then posted each individual entry to it's applicable surname board @ Ancestry & Genealogy.com.
      >
      > The only down side to that is even when the posts start with the disclaimer that I'm not related in any way, shape or manner nor do I have any more info other than what the post contains, there are always those ever hopeful individuals who think I must be delusional, lying or mistaken or something who then make me nutty contacting me looking for more :\
      >
      > Fortunately, they are in the minority & it's always a pleasant surprise to get a note from someone who found one of the posts, even a couple of years later & was helped by it.
      >
      > Linda

    • Linda Peloquin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
        Hi Mary,

        Yes right on that note, the projects were a lot of work.

        One was a book of BMD for the town of La Sarre, Qué from it's start in 1917 up into 1921.  The La Sarre were in 2006 under the subject line "Marriages ~ La Sarre, Abitibi, Quebec 1917 - 1921 Listing from Bulletin de la Societe Historique Abitibiene" .

        And the other big one that took me a month or so doing it bit by bit was military awards listed in the back of magazines, Field Artillery Journal, from 1943 & 1944 that I'd found while cleaning in my parents' basement.  Those contained 2 -3 pages in each issue of lisitings of soldiers who'd received awards, the award and in some cases a short bio of what they'd done to earn the award.  The men were from all over the US.

        Neither of those projects would have been something germaine to our group here where a filed of scanned images from the print sources would have been of use to most of the members here.  It'd just take up space although the FAJ's might have had a few New England men.

        Too, each print source had it's own problems.  The FAJ's were bigger than my scanner bed.  Naturally, once upon a time when I'd had the scanner with the huge bed, I never had use for the huge bed so switched to a standard size and now as Murphy's Law goes, I wish I had the ancient huge bed scanner.

        And trying to scan the La Saree book would have destroyed the binding which is also the reason why I transcribe from the Peter Gagné books on the Filles du Roi & Filles à Marier rather than go the quicker route of scanning.  BTW, for anyone in RI, the FHC in Warwick did have these books & no doubt the AFGS in Woonsocket probably has them, too.

        That FAJ project was the summer of 2004.   For anyone interested in the FAJ posts, enter the soldier's given & surname.  In the subject line I used rank & name, middle initials if they were given and "WWII".  The primary posts were on the surname boards & I used state boards for those rare few surnames that didn't have a board.

        I posted both projects primarily by surname board because that's what I thought most people are more likely to search under.

        I probably wouldn't partake with you as I'm involved in some indexing now as well as my own current personal projects of digging into the grantor/grantee indexes for Richmond Co. NY & co-ordinating those with the bible entries from the Staten Island Historical Society  which are on line in an effort to claw my way back in my Decker ancestory.

        The NY State land records were a "Christmas Gift" from familysearch.org.  I keep hoping that RI & NJ land records are in the cue for 2013 but I've not seen them listed yet.

        The grantee/grantor indexes are great but to actually have the deeds is fantastic.  The old deeds are a real chuckle with the landmarks, now 99% vanished, used in the descriptions; "big black oak", "butternut sprout", "rock shaped like a frog", "spring on the knollside",       "the salt marsh belonging to Matthias Decker" (there had to be at least 4 or 5 of men of this name, all related somehow, owning land in the same area at the same time in any one given period down on Staten Island.  I suppose in RI, that would be Hopkins'es, Angell's, Steeres'es and other old names complicating records here)

        And my other ongoing project is extracting family groups from the out of print book, "Our First Hundred Years - History of Saint-François Xavier Municipality" (Manitoba) with an eye towards getting those posted, too.

        The way I go about these projects is to enter the info into a Word doc & then just cut & paste onto the message boards when I've got everything ready to go.  Nothing ever seems to fit nicely into Excel although the La Sarre BMD came the closest & I've started the St-François Xavier in Excel.  In the end, with the notes of extra info from the source that would need to be added for each entry if I used Excel on the past projects,  it was just as simple/fast to use Word.

      • mjbarnett23@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
          Linda,

          Boy you surely have your hands full. I work daily on something connected to my tree. I love it when I can add some personal information to the entry.

          Thanks for your feedback on entering the death information into a database. Definitely Excel would not work in this project because of the way the information entered is varied in format.

          I appreciate the input, it's more information to mull over.