Re: [RI_Ancestors] 1930 US Census for Cranston, RI

  • Linda Peloquin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
      Joann,
      Have you tried:
      Looking simply for Frank; Cranston?  Or one of the other members of the family simply by given name?  If the returns are too numerous, you could always add in a birth year with a +/- 1 or 2 yr range.
      Have you tried looking at the neighbors who were still in the same place in 1940 as in 1930 to see if that turns up your family?
      This appears to be them in 1925 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12400-223218-4?cc=1532195&wc=5783738Fenella - Frank, wf Mary, children John, Julia, Grace & *enisa(dau).
      Everyone listed on the street:  Sam Baffoni, then your family, Frank Biffone (probably another Baffoni), Al**ms Joseph,  Antonio Siconio & Pasquale Capuan* (probably Capuano).
      Have you tried a Soundex search?   Or replacing various letters with a wildcard?
      Then there's the ever tedious just looking at the street they lived on & seeing if you can find them.
      And it just might be that they were skipped over entirely & won't be found on the 1930 census.  In 1930, my father is nowhere to be found on a census although his family, who he was still living with, is enumerated he's not listed in the household.
      There's always the search engine at familysearch.org to try.  It's much better than ancestry and there's the RI state censuses done on the "5" years there, too.
      Ancestry's indexes aren't perfect and neither were the censuses.
      I've entered numerous corrections to Ancestry due to transcription errors on names.

      In 1920, the entire street my father-in-law & his parents lived on was skipped over; it's nowhere on the 1920 census.
      In 1900, my father-in-law's ancestors surnamed Poliquin were enumerated as Perkins.  And in the household, three children who all grew to adulthood, married, etc. but in 190 were far too young to be on their own, were omitted.
      At the end of the day after having tried everything Just like I had to for my father, you may just have to accept that they didn't get enumerated for some reason & accept the city directories as the proof for 1930.
      Linda

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
        Hi Joann & Linda,

        Sorry you haven’t been able to find them – Unfortunately, I think they were skipped in this census.

        I tried to help find them a couple of years ago. At that time we figured out the street name was changed to Capuano, but

        not until after the 1930 census, so they should be here on Kelvin.

        I took a look for them again today after your message using all the methods I know of, outlined by Linda in her email below,

        and they just are not there.

        If you look at the street numbers in the 1930 census, and compare them to the current day map, I’m thinking this area was

        probably not very settled at that time. Probably just farm land. The street addresses – 15, 17, 20, 31, 74 and 96 seem to be the

        older homes on the street today. I’m guessing your family lived in a home that was maybe set back from the road, or behind

        another house, or something like that which caused the enumerator to miss it. If you look at address 31 Capuano Avenue, Cranston

        on an online map, it’s hard to see, but it looks almost like 2 buildings stuck together. If this was the kind of building they lived in,

        maybe the enumerator went only to one side and didn’t realize there were more families that he missed?

        It’s great that you can follow them in the directories, even though they don’t list the young children. By the way, in case you haven’t

        seen this, there are directories for other years in Cranston, where your family is listed, but they don’t come up when you do a search by name.

        You need to just browse the directories for them. They do come up if you search using the street name in the keyword box,

        which is fine for this purpose, but obviously not good if you are trying to find out where someone lived…..

        Your Francesco Fanelli [that’s how he’s listed] & Mary are located in the 4th house on Magnolia St in 1918; in 1922 they were at the 2nd house on Magnolia St;

        1924 they were at a house on Magnolia St; 1926 they were at a house on Magnolia; 1928 they were listed at house on Kelvin St., so it seems they moved

        there in 1928 and should be in the census. They were on Kelvin in the 1930, and in 1932 they were at 22 Crothers.

        At least you have the directory listings, even though they don’t give the house number.

        Lisa

        Please note my new email address:

        lisa.lepore2@...