Re: (original) Church of the Ascension in Wakefield

  • ghostofdali
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
      Thanks Lisa, that info helps. Thomas B. Harvey (the one I'm looking for) was the father of Thomas Truxton Harvey and the son of Edward (SAR), he was born about 1787 and married Lucy Whaley.

      I'll look through those google books, thanks again!

      -Glen

      --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Lepore" wrote:

      > According to the RI Cemetery Database, there are a few Thomas Harvey buried
      > in that area. None of them seem to be your guy,
      >
      > but you'll have to check
      >
      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rigenweb/Cemetery2/cemindex.html
      >

      > There are a few Harvey cemetery lots in that area -
      >
      > Edward Harvey Lot [SK 186] which was moved to the
      >
      > Oakdell cem. in Peacedale. [SK 037]
      >

      > There is also a Capt. Thomas Truxton Harvey Lot [SK067] and a couple of
      > others in the area
      >

      > The list of historical cemeteries in South Kingstown are here
      >
      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rigenweb/Cemetery2/descript.html
      >

      > Some hunting on books.google.com has pictures of the churches from the book
      > Images of America – Wakefield. published Arcadia Publishing 1997, c. Betty
      > J. Cotter 1997
      >

      > "This Episcopal church was located on Cemetery Lane, now Johnson Place, and
      > was a forerunner to the Church of the Ascension on Main Street.
      >
      > The building, dating to about 1840, was sold in 1879; it is no longer
      > standing. [Courtesy Pettaquamscutt Historical Society]"
      >

      > Just under that is another photo:
      >

      > "The Church of the Ascension on Main St was built in 1883 to replace a
      > wooden structure on Cemetery Lane [as seen in the top photograph].
      >
      > The new Episcopal church was constructed from stone salvaged from the Rodman
      > mill at Rocky Brook that had burned. [Courtesy Donald and Shirley
      > Southwick]"
      >

      > According to a present day map, the distance is only about a ¼ mile.
      >

      > Assuming your guy died c. 1850 or earlier, then the first church photo must
      > be the one. You should contact the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society to see
      > if they can
      >
      > help you further
      >
      > http://www.pettaquamscutt.org/
      >

      > You could also contact the church itself to see if they still have records,
      > or if they were sent to a central depository.
      >

      > Lisa
      >

      > Please note my new email address:
      >
      > lisa.lepore2@...

    • rimimma49
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
        You should be able to get his wife death record from the Rhode Island State archives...perhap it will list her parent

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
          Before 1853 you need to know the town of birth because they aren’t indexed.

          --- In RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com>

          <mailto:RI_Ancestors%40yahoogroups.com> , "Lisa Lepore" wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I looked up the contemporary church's website, and the only information
          > > gathered there was that it's about a half mile from its original
          location
          > > and that the old wooden church was destroyed in 1935. Looking at maps my
          > > only guess is that it could have been across town near the hospital,
          maybe
          > > knocked down to make room for RT-1 (don't know if I have the timing
          right on
          > > that or not).
          > >
          > > My questions are: where exactly was the original church, was there a
          burial
          > > ground there or were these records nonspecific in terms of location, and
          if
          > > there was a yard there was it relocated or just covered up?
          > >
          > > Let me know if you have any information or ideas about where I could

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=22019991/grpspId=1706077073/msgI
          d=6320/stime=1358881274/nc1=5741391/nc2=5522128/nc3=5898810> _,_._,___

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
            Hi Glen,

            I just remembered this!

            The Episcopal records are in a special collection at URI.

            This is the main page

            http://www.uri.edu/library/special_collections/episcopal_list2.html

            Then scroll down till you get to

            Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island

            There are 2 links there for information on your time period.