yelling

  • Charles Rathbun
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
      understand i am not YELLING its easyer for me, dont be childish, charlie rathbun
    • Arlene Haddock
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
        I have a terminal disease.  Life is too short to worry about the trivial.  I don't know when or who made a rule that capital letters is yelling, and I don't care to know.  I would not take it that way.  Get your point across in lc or uc.  When I get to the pearlies, I will be so excited that I'll send my message in upper case WOO HOO.  If this knocks me off the list,  I AIN'T GOT THAT LONG AND I'LL TALK TO THEM ALL IN PERSON.  I am having trouble seeing these days, so upper case may be my last resort.

        Arlene

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
          Oh my...this is getting a bit testy but for the record I don't know who decreed that all upper case is yelling but in the general scheme of the web world, like it or not, all upper case is considered yelling and rude.

          Myself, I'll use upper case in genealogy for surnames....when I remember to do so....or when I'm trying to emphasize a word.

          Maybe it's my eyes but to me an all caps posts is a visual jumble.

          Or maybe it's just that I grew-up in a time when text was created via a writing instrument on paper, typewriter or via a mechanical printing process such as would be used to create a book or newspaper and my eyes & brain are too stuck in the past to take in & process all caps posts. I couldn't say what exactly makes all caps posts a challenge to get through for my eyes.

          But for me, in the practical world, posts, especially long posts, are simply too difficult & time consuming to sort through if done all upper case so I simply pass them over, take the risk of missing some useful information and hit delete rather than try to slogg through them.

          My husband was also guilty of posting in all caps.  "Was" being the operative word.  Since I convinced him to start keyboarding the text of his posts conventionally, that is to say, in the same fashion as he would do them if he were putting pen to paper with a mix of upper case where upper case would conventionally be used and lower case where one would expect lower case to be used, he's found that these mixed case posts done as text was alsways done in the old fashioned pen & paper past are far more successful than the previous all caps posts he used to do.

          My two cents worth on the subject.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2012
            I am 73 and have one good eye and one good ear
            People on the phone say I am yellig but I am unaware of
            it the conductive loss and the nerve deafness don't give enough feedback
            to modulate my voice. My sister is 78 and types in all caps but
            it doesn't bother me....
            I know my students would wear baseball caps to class and it would bother me and
            then a riend said that oneof her students was bothered by the lights in the room and coveredhis eyes for that reason I had never
            thought about that student and I was unaware....

            understand i am not YELLING its easyer for me, dont be childish, charlie rathbun

            jeanhaverhill@...

            understand i am not YELLING its easyer for me, dont be childish, charlie rathbun